ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Nay

entertainment!

Sansome1877

Cash

Farhad

I honestly have a hard time seeing where LandoCal's opinion is much of a criticism. I sized my pants exactly as Roy asked me to size them. Any complaint on my part is a bit like asking Picasso for a painting and then complaining that it's gray.

The great part about this contest is the unknown and unpredictable elements. We live in a safe, sterile world. We seldom approach anything without a lot of expectations. This is why the masses hate shrink-to-fit pants -- you don't know what you're gonna get. With the ROYxCone (actually the patch says ConeXRoy, jus' sayin') there were no BIG-style measurements. Kiya wasn't shrinking these for us in a sink in the Mission District and then posting the results on the Internet. These aren't made out of the same fabric as the XYZ denim from Company X. RoyXCone, for the most part, is a step into darkness. Not to play up the hype, but that's what interests me. I have plenty of predictable and safe in my life -- too much to be honest. +1 for LandoCal, +1 for Roy Slaper and +1 for playing the hand your dealt.

Oh, I agree that this is an adventure into the unknown. Frankly, I haven't seen a truly bad fit yet. In fact, it's great to see a diversity of fits here, rather than everyone looking the same. That's why I thought it was strange for Lando, as much as I like him, to say Nay (= not a good fit?) for some folks here. Sansome probably has the fullest fit so far, but I honestly think they look good on him.

My point was just that, if the jeans are fitting larger than anyone wanted them to, mess around with shrinking them a little more, or cuff them a little higher so they don't block up all crazy. I think everyone's will look rather different in a month anyway.

On a side note, I had a crazy thought to not only wear my jeans all year, but to also sleep in them for a year. Then, I was watching a documentary and one of the guys got a raging case of jock itch for falling asleep drunk in his jeans every night. Instead, I think I'll sleep in my boxers all year...

I am seriously digging this masterpiece. I'm surprised ROY didn't like the color much. That sort of dusty grey-blue against the copper thread was sweet. It lost some of that dusty cast when I soaked 'em. All those rivets with the broad faced washers make for crazy copper constellations. I'm in the loose fit club, and that where I wanted them. They actually fit almost uncannily similar to my Filson tin pants (and similarly stiff, but without the parafin), definitely a heritage work fit. I picked up some Bucksaw Logger buttons that I'll install for suspenders when I get some leather for backing today. These are much better than the Carhartts with their plastic bodies. They're made by (for?) Welch suspenders in Oregon, and I would bet money they are the same (with different facing) as came on my Wahmakers. They even have the same 'jingle'. I do think that ROY may have put mine together when he was sick though. There were a couple of 'oopsies'. I don't want to belabour them as they were quite minor and don't affect the construction of the jeans in any practical way. It's sort of like the handwoven Kilim rugs. The weaver would always intentionally put some minor flaw off in the corner somewhere to insure the rug was not 'perfect' as perfection is the purview of G-D and not man.

On a side note, I had a crazy thought to not only wear my jeans all year, but to also sleep in them for a year. Then, I was watching a documentary and one of the guys got a raging case of jock itch for falling asleep drunk in his jeans every night. Instead, I think I'll sleep in my boxers all year...

Ha! I'm guessing if the guy was passing out drunk every night, he probably didn't have the best of hygiene to begin with!

+1 for playing the hand your dealt.

Easy for me to say since I'm not in the contest, but they're early 1900s style work pants. They're not going to be the most flattering cut. And like a factory worker or farmer 80 years ago, you played the hand you were dealt (whatever was big enough and in stock at the general store when you went shopping) and wore the shit outta it. As long as people aren't getting hung up on size and fit, and just wear the hell outta these, it's going to be an excellent contest and the jeans will turn out beautiful.

Just so y'all know. I am chillin with my hands in my pockets all casual and shit. Cool as the summer breeze.

...great fit eltopo. And btw, dr.house is checking in.

Wanted 32 x 34 postsoak, here are the raw measurements:

Waist: 32"

Thigh: 11.5"

Knee: 9"

Hem: 8.5"

Inseam: 36"

dsci0513a.jpg

Genuine spare parts included...

dsci0511.jpg

...and I really dig the hidden coinpocket.

I'll soak 'em tomorrow, I'm hoping for a good result (waist -1", inseam -2-3"). GREAT STUFF!

How much space you got in the waist? Cold soak if not much. These babies shrink.

I honestly have a hard time seeing where LandoCal's opinion is much of a criticism. I sized my pants exactly as Roy asked me to size them. Any complaint on my part is a bit like asking Picasso for a painting and then complaining that it's gray.

The great part about this contest is the unknown and unpredictable elements. We live in a safe, sterile world. We seldom approach anything without a lot of expectations. This is why the masses hate shrink-to-fit pants -- you don't know what you're gonna get. With the ROYxCone (actually the patch says ConeXRoy, jus' sayin') there were no BIG-style measurements. Kiya wasn't shrinking these for us in a sink in the Mission District and then posting the results on the Internet. These aren't made out of the same fabric as the XYZ denim from Company X. RoyXCone, for the most part, is a step into darkness. Not to play up the hype, but that's what interests me. I have plenty of predictable and safe in my life -- too much to be honest. +1 for LandoCal, +1 for Roy Slaper and +1 for playing the hand your dealt.

VERY well put. +1

cheers!

^looks like it. My 33s came at 34.5"

I'll soak 'em tomorrow, I'm hoping for a good result (waist -1", inseam -2-3"). GREAT STUFF!

2" off the waist and 3" off the inseam seem pretty standard with a hot soak so far. You might soak everything but the waist for most of the time, and then soak the waist for the last few minutes if you only want 1" off.

I ordered a 31 and they came in at just under 33 presoak.

oh,we would never do it without your agreement,Mr.Chamberlain!

great news Stefan! keeping my finger crossed for tomorrow.

yours went straight through,didnt get hit by customs?

Yeah, Roy is a good guy, declared value 30$ :D...but I'm really afraid about the shrinkage and I dunno why Roy cuts them this small. I wear them at the moment, there is simply NO room left in the waist. You've orderd a 32" too, right? Gimme yo' measurements tomorrow, brother! I guess I have to soak only the legs hot and after that a fast 30°C wash program. Future washes cold. 31" would be possible to stretch out, but they mustn't shrink more.

Just noticed this, thanks to Robbie.

roysoutseam.jpg

OK, I really should go get some work done!

He's got that going on with his OG ones as well. Pretty cool little touch for the geek in us.

Just noticed this, thanks to Robbie.

roysoutseam.jpg

OK, I really should go get some work done!

I can't take credit, RnR pointed this out to me before I bragged about it on styeforum.

So we're going with a 'play the hand you're dealt' approach? I didn't factor/know how the rise/cinch would affect the overall length of the jean and went with a 34 inseam. I sort of think I need to have them hemmed because they sit a little longer on my frame, but :

don't want to fall behind as far as wear goes

don't know how it'll affect the integrity of the jean

how long of a turnaround places w/ Union Specials are going to have this close to the holidays.

Also, should any of us need repairs is there an 'advised' approach?

sorry to pull out a bunch of noob territory questions, they were both just kind of on my mind.

oh,we would never do it without your agreement,Mr.Chamberlain!

great news Stefan! keeping my finger crossed for tomorrow.

yours went straight through,didnt get hit by customs?

"I have in my hand a piece of denim..."

Yeah, Roy is a good guy, declared value 30$ :D...but I'm really afraid about the shrinkage and I dunno why Roy cuts them this small. I wear them at the moment, there is simply NO room left in the waist.

Mine are 32, too.

IF it's the waist alone, it won't be a problem, just use a piece of wood in the waistband as they dry, and it will keep the waist at the original size. It's if they're tight, or true to size at the thighs that you will be forced to cold-soak only. But looking at eltopo's photos - I think he ordered a 32 - I'm not sweating yet, altho maybe I"ll be sitting in the bath on a cold January day.

here is one quick fit pic from today, no soak yet, didnt dare

49714038.jpg

Yeah! At last, all of Fardin! Looks super-cool.