Artist Denim

Guest KoCHiRO1985

I sent him a PM already, will try the e-mail in a few days he doesn't respond.

Edit: Just put in an order with Gun, hope the detailing will work out!

I want to touch that 40500 denim again - never thought another pair of jeans will be made from that fabric again after Sugar Cane discontinued their natural indigo series.

Was just lounging around, when the mailman came! :cool:

c7f8cc44.jpg

Pardon the iPhone pictures. No good lighting, and a lousy photographer here...

Ripped open the package without further ado...

d56c834c.jpg

Bonus material! Really greyish-green cast. Cool to look at, but requires a bit more effort for everyday wear in my opinion. But still, mikecch, you don't be disappointed!

b4f9f8bc.jpg

My first impressions, the denim is crazy, with white fluffy spots peeking out all over (don't know the technical term).

Workmanship is pretty much what you would expect from a one-person made jeans. Not on par with the ROYs I own (chainstitching was a bit wonky, and the hem roll was a bit narrow for my liking) as to be expected from a craftsman perfecting his craft, but the rest looked real clean! At least I was part of his learning process. :rolleyes:

I could try to get (relatively) better pictures when it's daytime here tomorrow, if anyone's interested. Thanks Gun, for a great pair of jeans, in great denim at a great price!

I agree with Tsunami: I was lucky enough to get the free pair of the #1s lance was offering (please rep him if you can), and I believe these were one of the first pair Gun made. Not as well-made as my ROY, but good. The denim is amazing, and I really dig the selvage pocket bags. I had to remove some of the excess stitching on the back pockets, but overall, I'm still impressed, even if it isn't the best pair of handmade jeans. Given the circumstances re: his previous tailor/maker, and the fact that he's taken this on himself to learn, it's pretty remarkable. The regular cut is good, too-- I'll post fit pics this weekend.

Hm, the color in your pics looks much bluer than they are aqua on the website

Ah, the magic of natural indigo :):)

I agree with Tsunami: I was lucky enough to get the free pair of the #1s lance was offering (please rep him if you can), and I believe these were one of the first pair Gun made. Not as well-made as my ROY, but good. The denim is amazing, and I really dig the selvage pocket bags. I had to remove some of the excess stitching on the back pockets, but overall, I'm still impressed, even if it isn't the best pair of handmade jeans. Given the circumstances re: his previous tailor/maker, and the fact that he's taken this on himself to learn, it's pretty remarkable. The regular cut is good, too-- I'll post fit pics this weekend.

That's bloody generous of lance!

Would love to see your fit (I ordered a straight fit.)

I love Gun's philosophy, "slim jeans for bigger dudes" :D

The color of the sc40500 actually looks perfect for daily wear in the late spring/summer here in seattle. I like how Gun is willing to taper the lower legs so you can have the big thighs from the regular cut and a non-repro looking lower leg. Saves me about $15 plus gas money because I don't know any tailors who can do tapering from the inseam here. Hopefully there's still some of the sc40500 left when i order

Yup, killerb3ar is right. I got the #1 denim, and the swatch is the #0 denim. It's super hard to capture thr color of the 40500 but it's really a unique shade. Anyone ordering it will not be disappointed! :)

Edit: Here's a shot that sorta captures the shade of the 40500 denim, beside the 40400 denim. Fairly accurate, I think.

690abd4c.jpg

^ Nice.

I think the nice thing about natural indigo is that there's no one correct colour to capture - it varies so much with light, and this makes it special.

I chose the #0 (40500) denim though, as I have the sc40300 which looks more similar to the 40400 fabric...I think the 40500 fabric may be slightly harder to pull off (as in, it's not really the 'normal' jeans colour), but it does make for an interesting additional to a closet full of synthetic indigo :)

Can't wait to see some of pics from you tsunamiboy85!

Here are some more (poorly taken) pictures...

Number 4 pocket bags

7788b3fe.jpg

Only other jeans I've seen the "seashell" stitching on is my ROYs.

e268bdf9.jpg

Peek-a-boo!

6a196050.jpg

Half-lined pockets

46f683a9.jpg

My only half-issue. Wonky chainstitching on one leg.

6c033e1e.jpg

Tried to capture the nuances of the #1 denim with my iPhone, and failing miserably. But you can still see how speckled and striated them 40400 denim are!

79d4fef2.jpg

Pre-soak measurements are pretty much spot on with the measurement charts provided by Gun. He has a couple more cuts available now, so I am assuming mine are the slim straights cos of the slight taper. :)

I'm sure he'll get those pics up soon. Looks like he's tweaking it. I really think he needs some better fit pics for some of his newer cuts-- the model, whether it's his friend or himself, doesn't exactly have the best shape for showing off the most flattering look possible. Quie honestly, if this thread didn't have fit pics of other members, I wouldnt necessarily be enticed to buy a pair.