Quick question, if I want to acheive a daytime long exposure image somewhat like the one below on the bottom, (doesnt have to be as drastic) do I need a density filter? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks

I'm sure this guy (Alex Wise) could probably help you out / give you recommendations. A lot of his work is done through the use of a density filter and its crazy good. I think I found his site on here / he posts on here too!

Quick question, if I want to acheive a daytime long exposure image somewhat like the one below on the bottom, (doesnt have to be as drastic) do I need a density filter? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks

1.jpg

I'm sure this guy (Alex Wise) could probably help you out / give you recommendations. A lot of his work is done through the use of a density filter and its crazy good. I think I found his site on here / he posts on here too!

Haha, actually the photos dovo posted are from the same guy :P

Anyway, it's definitely an ND filter (perhaps GND)... I used an ND8 filter on my trip in broad daylight and it helped to get similar effects (not as drastic though)...

ND8's give a 3 stop reduction, but you can get more (it'll just be a bit less versatile)

Also, B+W filters are probably some of the better filters you can get, but they are also not the cheapest either... If you have a HK hookup, you can get it there for a lot better than buying it in a brick&mortar store in North America... an alternative is this site: http://maxsaver.net/ which I use a lot for all of my filters.

Thanks for all the help guys. I found a Hoya ND8 on amazon for like 20 bucks so i may give it a try when I buy my tripod.

Also I just checked Alex Wises site and he does post here! Anyone remember his pic awhile back of a girl smokin a cig at night?

And Fab, no Exif info I pulled this off of google this morning. Wish I had the info so id no what to aim for too. couldnt find anything on his site either.

Thanks for all the help guys. I found a Hoya ND8 on amazon for like 20 bucks so i may give it a try when I buy my tripod.

Also I just checked Alex Wises site and he does post here! Anyone remember his pic awhile back of a girl smokin a cig at night?

And Fab, no Exif info I pulled this off of google this morning. Wish I had the info so id no what to aim for too. couldnt find anything on his site either.

I would take it further and guess a photo like that would even be something like a 10 stop reduction and the exposure would be like 5minutes at f16+ and 100iso, lol. He caught the change in sky color during sunset.

Thanks

if you want to shoot during daytime one, you'll wanna get a 10 stop ND filter. Or maybe stack filters .

A ND + Graduated ND.

B+W makes a good screw on one. If you have more money, invest in Lee Filter Holder system. It took me 4 months to receive it but well worth it. All you need is adapters and you can use the glass/resin filters for any filter thread size. Very pricey though.

I actually was convinced by this thread to buy an ND filter, read up on it as well, and what better way to spend a $60 store credit to the place I bought my camera from?

Anyways, only one picture today, looks a lot better blown up bigger.

5755996649_253b503291.jpg

i like the way that thing shoots! There's nothing like a tattoo shop/jewelry store lol

It was boring today (bad storms) and i was dying to shoot something! However, I forgot to put my reflector under it, DOH!

5756886639_50451a0dca_b.jpg

strawberry by dethridge photography, on Flickr

5757432006_ccb76405d8_b.jpg

strawberry rage by dethridge photography, on Flickr

wishing I could be riding this:

5757432128_8cdf468145_b.jpg

bike by dethridge photography, on Flickr

there was a cool ad in the paper today, full page, for the X100 featuring a quote by Araki about how in an interaction between photographer, subject and camera you basically have a threesome. The corresponding pic looks suitably like it was shot by him as well...I know Araki has been vehemently against digital photography in the past, but if Bob Dylan can go to China, fuck it, do the damn thing big man.

"Man, that guy can find dinks and hoo-hoos in anything. The level of horniness he has to experience every day of his waking life must feel like being on meth."

my homage to Araki (among a few other shots i've taken in the past but this one's my fav):

03880007.jpg

Some fantastic photos as usual.

I am going to Gaza this summer and I want to do some photography using film, can anyone recommend me a good camera and film package? the only photography I have done previously was using a Canon 450D, I enjoyed using it but had to sell it to raise the funds for University.

there was a cool ad in the paper today, full page, for the X100 featuring a quote by Araki about how in an interaction between photographer, subject and camera you basically have a threesome. The corresponding pic looks suitably like it was shot by him as well...I know Araki has been vehemently against digital photography in the past, but if Bob Dylan can go to China, fuck it, do the damn thing big man.

"Man, that guy can find dinks and hoo-hoos in anything. The level of horniness he has to experience every day of his waking life must feel like being on meth."

my homage to Araki (among a few other shots i've taken in the past but this one's my fav):

03880007.jpg

Nice tried to rep but gotta spread.

He's not the only one opposed to digital. A little sump'm from Gibson. I know 7 minutes but I do find the interview interesting.

That second one is money Riff. And its not my lens or camera but it was a Sigma EX DG on a d200. Im trying to land a second job doing some work for a Car Detailing equipment company and the guy wanted me to go around and shoot some stuff with his camera for their website to see how id do but I was nervous as shit haha.