what are you reading today?

almondcrush

the great gatsby

i'm on an iconic american book peel right now... considering the american icon is dead, and i need inspiration to write.

I just did that a week or so ago. I hit up some Whitman, Harper Lee, and am planning on doing Billy Budd when I get some time to breathe.

^^ I was reading tidbits of it at the bookstore, on a related note, I picked up The God Delusion since it just came out in paperback. Neo-atheism is weird. It's often entangled in the swirling combative front against the atrocities of organized religious bodies and less about the actual belief in a God.

I have not checked it out yet, I was actually supposed to start with Sam Harris stuff

but working in a bookstore gets you quite a collection of books-that-need-to-be-read-before-buying-new-books. I just special ordered Underground by Murakami, American Pastoral (my first Roth book), and three books by Calvino. Oddly, I seem somewhat at ease with this selection in this particular thread, despite the last books mentioned being modern, or post-post modern. The Tale of Genji is just lurking the threads of my distracted subconscious.

just started:

assorted short stories - edgar allen poe

bartleby, the scriviner - melville

scarlett letter - hawthorne

all for american lit class :\ sorta boring, but i'm enjoying the melville and the poe so far. hawthorne's short stories are much more in tune with poe, but i think scarlett letter is gonna be a bit boring.

^^Let me know how it is. AHWOSG was a cool read, but a book that I never felt compelled to get through, I just picked it up here and there and just read when I so happened to do so. I was introduced to Voxtrot when reading that book, and ever since then the mental pairing remains :confused:.

I actually found AHWOSG riveting but did not enjoy his 2nd novel nearly as much. The tone is very Dave Eggers, but I just found Velocity kind of jumbled and insincere. Although what I read was the first edition and from what I understand he editted it very heavily for the paperback release.

What is the What was very enjoyable.

last night i finished appointment in samara and i thought it was brilliant.

how are people reading books on atheism? that rediculous. how does a system of belief that objects to dogma create its own dogma? thats fucking silly. its such a reactionary niche market of people who arent concerned about whats more relevant to their lives, but are instead obsessed with complaining about how other people are missing the point. fuck that shit. im not religious by any means but i would never need a book to explain to me that god didnt create the universe in a week out of thin air. ef them books.