what are you reading today?

almondcrush

• 2 weeks later...

Still only a little more than half way through One Flew Over, keep getting distracted. Really wanna finish it up asap so I can watch the movie, will try to power through this weekend. Anyway, very enjoyable so far, being much funnier than I anticipated.

My throwaway suggestion for the bookclub is Neuromancer since I have an unread copy of it on my desk.. most of you guys have probably read it though.

I think it's best to make a list of everyone wanting to get in on this and each person can nominate their book choice. I'd suggest a max length of 300 or 350 pages to keep everyone on board. In a week from today I will put the names and books on a spreadsheet and randomize the schedule for the first couple months. If anyone wants to tell other members that might not check in on the thread please do so.

Finally finished One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, highly recommended.

that was quite the whirlwind ending. Poor Billy Bibbit, that head nurse was a real queen bitch.

Re: book club, seems like Neuromancer has the vote for the first one. My book I'd like to add to the list is All Quiet on the Western Front, have had it for awhile now but with too many other things in the queue ahead to start just yet

Edited by jayrock

i just read The Loser by Thomas Bernhard

fantastic readabout Glenn Gould's friends/classmates who were crushed by his piano virtuosity

the style is very much Notes From Underground, with a bit of Kafka and Beckett thrown in

now i'm reading Italo Calvino's Collection of Sand

ekphrastic essays by I.C. - amazing to view art through his lens

a very thoughtful and meditative writer

also reading a translation of Don Quixote 

i've read fragments of it in english and spanish but it has been a while

enjoying it more than is reasonable, probably

i already read neuromancer

i'd be down for book club if it was something i haven't read

i suggest the illuminatus! trilogy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illuminatus!_Trilogy

i got this from the library one time but didn't get very far before i had to return it

give me an excuse to try again!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Neuromancer is weird as shit and hard to follow, the writing bounces all over the place and leaves a lot to the imagination. Coffins and cobras like what the fuck is even going on. Barely even into it but we'll see how this goes

besides that here's what I've finished lately:

The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek

On Liberty by John Stuart Mill

The Rider of Lost Creek by Louis L'Amour

Currently working on:

Technopoly by Neil Postman (about half way through)

Austerity by Mark Blyth (only about 1/4 way)

gave up on:

How To Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams - just a little too self-helpy and I keep trying to power through but I've lost interest

Will probably try to incorporate some more fiction as I bounce back and forth between the non-fictional stuff. Gonna stick with Neuromancer for now, but it hasn't really grabbed my attention yet, too busy trying to wade through all the sci-fi mumbo jumbo

have also come to the realization that paper books are superior to kindle. Personal preference obviously, but there's just something about leafing through actual pages that adds to the overall experience