Tender Co. Denim

braille_teeth

^thanks! I guess you mean the ones with cat's paws? Actually those are just my own shoes (Ducker's, nothing to do with Tender). Rob just really liked them and took a photo....

I will be doing a pair of boots coming up in the next collection, but no pics yet. I'll be sure to keep you up to date as soon as they're ready to go out.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just happened across this thread. amazing AMAZING stuff and so proud that it's come from the UK.

Really stoked and immensely impressed.

^thanks very much! really kind of you

Snake kindly put up a link to a cutting from Free & Easy a little while ago, but I've only just received my copy, so here it is:

6235117287_5f3cfa801d_m.jpg6235120391_fc168ac893.jpg

I was really happy they put this in- I'd just arrived in Tokyo a couple of hours before and come straight out to meet my friend, and we went over to the Rugged Museum on the way to a hot spring (natural hot spring on the 6th floor of a shopping centre hurray Tokyo!). I'd been in the trews over a really long flight and just changed my Tshirt quickly, so I felt really gross. Luckily for me though everything's Tender and the F&E photographer did a lovely job in the little studio they have at the back of the shop. It was really nice when I introduced myself- they only asked because they liked my trousers, but the guys in there knew my brand and were really complimentary. It was a big honour!

also a very nice editor's recommend in 2nd!:

6235124941_83ab707d34_m.jpg6235647922_c42be69281.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry it's been such a long time- there's some exciting stuff going on, and I'll try to get some more factory photos up in the next few weeks. In the mean time, I'm sure most of this will be nothing new to most of you guys, but here's a little denim guide that I put together for The Buttery Store, who'll be carrying Tender from the new year:

The Denim Weave Process by William Kroll of Tender Co

tumblr_lvitsoWrBv1qeuno2.jpg

Traditional blue denim is a cotton twill fabric, woven from a yarn-dyed indigo warp and a white or raw cotton weft (fill). Weaving involves feeding the horizontal yarn, the weft, between the vertical warp yarns- at its most basic the first line goes over one/under one/over one etc. This would give you a plain- (or a basket-) weave. If you use two different colour yarns (e.g. indigo and white) in a plain weave you get a cloth which is an even mix of blue and white on both sides. This is how chambray is made:

tumblr_lviu1mV5gI1qeuno2.jpg

On a twill fabric, rather than weaving over one/under one/over one as in a plain-weave, the weft is passed, for example, over two/under one/over two etc. This pattern would make a 2-by-1 twill. On a twill fabric woven with indigo warp and white weft, this means that one side of the cloth is two parts blue to one part white, and the other side is two parts white to one part blue- this is why on a pair of jeans the inside is a different colour to the outside.

tumblr_lviu8ewdPH1qeuno2.jpg

The pattern of weaving can be adjusted to make different twills, for instance 3-by-1 (over 3/under 1) 3-by-2 (over 3/under2) etc. This arrangement is slipped along in every horizontal line of weaving, so that the cloth doesn’t fall apart (in the same way that bricks are laid one row slipped across half a brick-width from the row below it, to keep the wall from falling down).

Looking at a piece of denim fabric, the twill line is the diagonal textural stripe created by this slip in the weaving lines. On the front (mainly blue side) of the denim, this is a blue diagonal spaced by the thinner white weft showing through. On the back (mainly white side) the diagonal goes in the opposite direction, and is mainly white, picked out by the blue warp from the front.

Depending on how the weaving pattern is set up, the fabric twill has a different ‘direction’. The most popular direction of twill for denim (traditionally used by Levi’s, and also for Tender’s jeans) is a right hand twill. Looking at the fabric lengthways, on the blue side, the diagonal twill line goes from top right to bottom left. Due to the way that the yarn which the fabric is woven from is originally spun, right hand twill fabric twists the yarn tighter during weaving, creating a ‘harder’ and more robust cloth.

tumblr_lviuh3MIi31qeuno2.jpg

While Levi’s used right hand twill denim for their jeans, Lee traditionally used a left hand twill fabric. This is made in basically the same way, but woven in the opposite direction, so that looking down the fabric the twill line runs from top left to bottom right:

tumblr_lviuj4tVJ41qeuno2.jpg

Weaving in this direction causes the yarn to untwist slightly, resulting is a softer, more drapey fabric than a right hand twill woven in the same pattern from the same yarn.

Just as a rubber band twisted up and let go will quickly unwind itself, so the twisted cotton yarn used to weave denim ‘wants’ to revert to its original straight format. Depending on how the fabric is woven this will express itself in different ways:

tumblr_lviulhDUfW1qeuno2.jpg

Right Hand Twill Jeans

tumblr_lviuo2iWye1qeuno2.jpg

Left Hand Twill Jeans

In the photo above left, the English-made Tender Co. type 130s, cut from right hand twill denim have twisted after a year or so of wearing and washing. You can see that on the left leg (as worn) the outside leg seam is on top, and on the right leg the inside seam is on top. Looking down at your legs while wearing these jeans, you’d be able to see that the legs have twisted clockwise from their original parallel construction.

The 1970s US-produced Lee Riders, in the photo above right, are made of left hand twill denim, and have twisted anti-clockwise. This is because the fabric is woven in the opposite direction, and so untwists correspondingly.

‘Loomstate’, or raw, denim will twist at the first wash. Tender’s 130 jeans cut from loomstate right hand twill 16oz Japanese selvage denim will be hot soaked for The Buttery Store, and so will already have shrunk and twisted. Today, denim purists enjoy the character that this twist brings to the garment (also visible in ‘roping’ at the hems), but original jeans manufacturers were keen to solve what was seen as a problem with the fabric.

While yarn or fabric treatments such as sanforization could control leg twist to a certain extent for Levi’s and Lee, the third of the ‘big three’ jeans brands, Blue Bell (later Wrangler) devised a different solution to the leg twist dilemma. Wrangler’s signature broken twill denim is a pattern where one line is woven to the right, and then the next is woven to the left. This creates a fabric which tries to untwist first clockwise and then anticlockwise, all the way down the garment, balancing itself out so that the cloth remains stable and the garment construction seams stay parallel, even after years of wear.

tumblr_lvius1ppCC1qeuno2.jpg

(Source: madebytender.com)

Tags: tender co denim weaving selvage style fashion the buttery store

A few months back the chaps at The Very Best got in touch for the 2012 London-shot Moustache Calendar, in aid of the Movember men's cancer charity, asking to borrow some clothes. They did a really nice little shoot, some of which can be seen here.

Tender's proudly representing May, along with Jeffrey West boots and a Norton bike, modelled by the lovely Matt

6442571109_0cf8aa49fe_z.jpg

This has always been my favorite thread-- I could just read and re-read all the great bits of information William posts. Don't have much to contribute, but I've been wearing my 132s as the weather has cooled down a bit. I've been meaning to get some fit pics up of the logwood henley, but as my gut is something to behold these days, I pretty much wear it as a layering piece.

Bill, that piece for buttery was really good. I knew some of this but not all. Your piece is short and a model of clarity!

Had to rush off to look at my jeans to check them. The Tender and most of the Evisu were right handed twill, but one pair of the Evisu (which are a Lee style jean I bought in Japan) were a left hand twill (and much softer). One pair from Evisu (which look to have a a lot of colour variation) looked to be a Wrangler type broken twill from the outside - but the inside looked like a single direction, so suspect they are something different again.

Have just gave the first wash to the Tender Logwood died jeans from Belin, the colour variation is looking interesting - should post a picture...

Here are a couple of pictures of the Tender Logwood jeans after a first wash. The colour variation is really less than it looks in the pictures, but still very interesting. Really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gregpicasa/Tender?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJCXj8W2wtvd9QE&feat=directlink

(link updated)

Edited by gregd

Cool-- thanks for fixing. Yeah, the color seems a bit uneven in the pics. How did you wash/dry them?

Just washed cold inside out - and then line dried.

Think they need to relax and be worn more - think I saw similar from the Jacket. It was very stiff when new but after a lot of wearing and one wash is now relaxed and softer.

thanks greg and holmes for putting up pics, greg they're starting to look nice, but yes some more wear'll do them a lot of good :)

thor, great that you'd like a pair! Hickoree's is definitely a good bet. Feel free to email me if you'd like any more information.

Here are the woad 132 jeans from the last production that I've been wearing pretty much daily for coming on for 4 months (new here). They're coming on interestingly I think. Fading pretty slowly, but with a nice even deep blue. I patched on a thigh pocket a couple of months ago, which I've been using to keep my wallet in. Even though this is half the age of the rest of the jeans, it's fading a lot more already, and looking much more contrasty. I think with a bit more time that subtletly in the woad'll come out really special...!

6488947597_379b9a6d08_z.jpg

6488948889_b5f8244046_z.jpg

I really love my 132s. I wore them today and got a few compliments from folk who appreciated the silhouette. the looser fit isn't for everyone, but it suits me fine-- i especially like wearing em on cooler days. and yeah, these are tough faders for sure. I'm only now getting some wear pattern from my moleskine.

Tender's sheepskins come in to the tannery as a by-product of the English meat industry. In the abattoir the skin is the first thing to come off, so as in a leather tannery, the skins come in with 'meat on one side and shit on the other':

6504321157_bd0b332e21_z.jpg

for most production the natural hair colour is irrelevant, as the whole skin will be bleached and re-dyed (even to achieve 'natural' colours), but I wanted to pick out real black sheep. This has to be done before anything else happens:

6504320847_0c7cbac8df_z.jpg

The first job is to salt the meat side (which will become the suede) in order to make it easier to flesh. This is basically the same process as with leather tanning, but as this is a 'hair-on' process the salts used must be harsh enough to strip off the meat but not cause the hair to fall out. Therefore liming, as used in leather tanning, isn't appropriate.

The salt is rubbed on by hand:

6504320523_5455934cdb_z.jpg

6504318479_b37ddc1ff2_z.jpg

6504319521_02945e1b07_z.jpg

The skins are left like this for a few days, then they go into tanning, in huge vats:

6504313375_934664f34e_z.jpg

to be continued.....