I do have mass indeed, too much, I reckon I might have small moons orbiting me soon.

I cannot help but love the loose styling, I only just got my head around tapered trousers!

Wish I could afford the J54 I love th look butnot nearly as much as the more left field entries.

I'm with TEK70 on this one too! Maybe in the future I'll be able to wear Veilance and non-advanced P10:)

Thanks SuE for the heads up on the outlier stuff, might pick finally something from them. Is the execution really that poor, jbob?

Anyway for those of you who don't check vk/utw:

HTTP://VOLLEBAK.COM

bmp-lying-down-horiz_1024x1024.jpg?v=144

shop_condition_black_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1

^^^^
are those integrated eye protectors?

Any new interesting sunglasses or googles? I feel urban techwear designers should be doing more work in this area. This is supposed to be the supposed to be the future; where are my retractable shades (and self tying laces and jetpacks)? :unsure:

9BWMMvO.jpg

On previous page there is a mention about the ACRONYMPOOL parka that I missed. The design is based on bundeswehr parka (also available in black) so much that I am suprised noone already did custom knock-off for themselves, since it looks like advanced beginer weekend project.

remove top pocket flaps / remove sleeves get rid of the shoulder tabs / shorten shoulder sew sleeve of loopwheeler sweatshirt in / replace buttons with itw / sew a zipper on it and add a buckle and some velcro

707_0.jpg

Edited by danii

Any new interesting sunglasses or googles? I feel urban techwear designers should be doing more work in this area. This is supposed to be the supposed to be the future; where are my retractable shades (and self tying laces and jetpacks)? :unsure:

Accessories involving tech might be too much of an investment unfortunately

article-0-1B6038EB000005DC-114_634x476.j

hopefully one day someone makes a retractable version of these with a built in HUD

Edited by Albm

I think face tech is probably going to be one of the hardest things to attack as far as "techwear" goes. because it's one of the most focused on parts of the body.

People have a hard enough time dealing with sportif sunglasses (see also Oakley's M line/Briko/various euro sport sunglasses (there's like a zillion or so)) that are usually very tech forward (and usually worn by the most Chad kind of people, or dudes like this: http://i.imgur.com/C0SghMl.png ),and going for some Deus Ex-specs is treading deep into the "cosplay" territory rather than the subdued/cool concept. Hell, people can't even deal with transitions lenses (which yes, are totally dorky).

I know Google glass was a complete train wreck of industrial design, but one of the main concerns of it were that it wasn't "natural looking enough", after the camera thing.

I'd consider looking into the early 90s Sub Zero/Zeros line by Oakley/maybe some of other 90s vintage Yohji, or find some more "normal shapes" in matte black.

The Moon Parka - A jacket made of synthetic spider silk

Remember the Japanese biomaterials company Spiber? In 2013, they presented a cocktail dress made of Qmonos (from the Japanese word kumonosu meaning ‘spider web’), their present 11-year-10-design-iterations-and-656-gene-synthesis synthetic version of stronger than steel and more flexible than nylon lightweight spider silk.

tumblr_nxcqlvpS691r08k60o4_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_nxcqlvpS691r08k60o1_r1_500.jpg

Edited by veni vidi vici

I think face tech is probably going to be one of the hardest things to attack as far as "techwear" goes. because it's one of the most focused on parts of the body.

People have a hard enough time dealing with sportif sunglasses (see also Oakley's M line/Briko/various euro sport sunglasses (there's like a zillion or so)) that are usually very tech forward (and usually worn by the most Chad kind of people, or dudes like this: http://i.imgur.com/C0SghMl.png ),and going for some Deus Ex-specs is treading deep into the "cosplay" territory rather than the subdued/cool concept. Hell, people can't even deal with transitions lenses (which yes, are totally dorky).

I know Google glass was a complete train wreck of industrial design, but one of the main concerns of it were that it wasn't "natural looking enough", after the camera thing.

I'd consider looking into the early 90s Sub Zero/Zeros line by Oakley/maybe some of other 90s vintage Yohji, or find some more "normal shapes" in matte black.

A big deal in face tech is that human interaction is exceedingly sensitive to eye positioning. When i see you looking at your iphone, i can tell by where your eyes are pointed that you're interacting with your phone. When you're looking at things through your google glass/next level contacts/whatever, i can't tell you're interacting with something - to me you seem to be looking through me and this immediately weirds people the fuck out on a very deep instinctual level. No amount of industrial design can tackle this, leading me to believe that visor/glasses based platforms will always be niche products for engineering/military/medical purposes outside of a social context. 

Similarly, while it doesn't bother me quite as deeply, is when people are with friends, but they still have their headphones in. Is their human companionship not enough? Do they constantly need a soundtrack while being conversed with? Are they just too lazy to take them out?

Re Google Glass, last year I was in a running shoe store with a friend, and a woman came in while wearing Google Glass. The entire store went just about silent as she poked around at shoes and then probably felt extremely uncomfortable while everyone half-stared at her. When she left, all conversation immediately shifted to how much people disliked Google Glass.

I've been in the market for a simple water resistant hat for a while.

I sent them an email asking if they could elaborate, hopefully I'll get a reply soon.

Here is the email verbatim:

"So if you're familiar with Cordura it's had a longstanding history with the military. What we're looking at is wind and water resistant and especially resistant to tears & abrasions (ripstop). If you're looking for something more weather-proof you might also check out some of our waxed caps.

Thanks for nerding out with us

cheers"

if anyone else is interested

Here is the email verbatim:

"So if you're familiar with Cordura it's had a longstanding history with the military. What we're looking at is wind and water resistant and especially resistant to tears & abrasions (ripstop). If you're looking for something more weather-proof you might also check out some of our waxed caps.

Thanks for nerding out with us

cheers"

if anyone else is interested

making sufu/utw cap? would be nice twist on the usual sufu ebbets one

Edited by danii

making sufu/utw cap? would be nice twist on the usual sufu ebbets one

Nope! It's the sneaky tech hat mentioned perviously in the thread. Description on the fairends site was vague about the technical properties other than it was tech and was ripstop.

Should arrive monday.

As a side note though, fairends has really great customer service.

As a side note though, fairends has really great customer service.

contacted FE about the sufu/utw cap and they are indeed great cs. Within 4 hours I got positive response (saturday), so the questions are:

-anyone interested?

-anyone in US who can help handling that (since FE is US based)?

-any design ideas?

don't buy stuff // make stuff

Edited by danii

Bought 2 of these:

http://sagear.eu/en_US/p/Smartphone-Pouch/148

And one of their larger ones (when I bought mine they only came in normal and large now they are now making them in small to XL). I think the large one just doesn't look as good but it would fit the new iphone whatever. 

R0056384.jpg

They come in a lot of colours, including white which is rare.

They have a cool little gimmick where you pull the flap open then lift the tab for the contents to be pulled upwards. 

R0056386_1.jpg

R0056387_1.jpg

This is it pulled all the way out. You can launch it out of the pouch and onto the floor if you lift it too hard. Also the shape between the black and white normal sized one is a little inconsistent.

Overall, not bad for about £10.

I'm with TEK70 on this one too! Maybe in the future I'll be able to wear Veilance and non-advanced P10:)

Thanks SuE for the heads up on the outlier stuff, might pick finally something from them. Is the execution really that poor, jbob?

It's not that they're poorly made, more that they were under-designed.  On one, it was super wide and baggy but very short, barely coming down to my waist.  Seemed truly odd and poor choice of proportion.

The double hood should have been a slam dunk, but... the button was placed in what seemed like a poor spot, it could have been a bit lower and was super hard to button/unbutton.  They had hidden it behind a piece of merino, then sewn the edges down all around it so you could barely get to it.  The hood itself was an odd(interesting) design, but then for such a baggy piece, the neck hole was tight and uncomfortable compared to the rest of the garment. 

I really wish the latest couple things they had done were executed a bit differently.  For one, the opening on the short sleeve alpha core should have carried over to the longsleeve. The short sleeve should have been a thinner material or focused on being just a softshell. That would have made them some of the best looking and functional things they've come out with but as it is, they're both misses (for me; personal opinion of course). 

Airspace is really fucking cool but I would destroy it in a day.  I guess they have good pants and socks? I've tried really hard cuz I like the "idea" of a lot of their stuff, but I just can't get behind their brand :(

It's not that they're poorly made, more that they were under-designed.  On one, it was super wide and baggy but very short, barely coming down to my waist.  Seemed truly odd and poor choice of proportion.

The double hood should have been a slam dunk, but... the button was placed in what seemed like a poor spot, it could have been a bit lower and was super hard to button/unbutton.  They had hidden it behind a piece of merino, then sewn the edges down all around it so you could barely get to it.  The hood itself was an odd(interesting) design, but then for such a baggy piece, the neck hole was tight and uncomfortable compared to the rest of the garment. 

I really wish the latest couple things they had done were executed a bit differently.  For one, the opening on the short sleeve alpha core should have carried over to the longsleeve. The short sleeve should have been a thinner material or focused on being just a softshell. That would have made them some of the best looking and functional things they've come out with but as it is, they're both misses (for me; personal opinion of course). 

Airspace is really fucking cool but I would destroy it in a day.  I guess they have good pants and socks? I've tried really hard cuz I like the "idea" of a lot of their stuff, but I just can't get behind their brand :(

Have you voiced these concerns on their subreddit?  They're pretty active on there and are always looking for feedback.  Most people laud them, so it'd be good for the unsatisfied to share too so they can learn.

:o How tall are you? 

contacted FE about the sufu/utw cap and they are indeed great cs. Within 4 hours I got positive response (saturday), so the questions are:

-anyone interested?

-anyone in US who can help handling that (since FE is US based)?

-any design ideas?

don't buy stuff // make stuff

this is a cool idea. i'm interested