motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

So this bike is up for sale in my city, its a 1956 BMW R50. Its in rough shape, needs a lot of work and there isnt a list price, shes accepting offers. Do you guys think its even worth it? And if so, how much would you offer?

Here are some photos for reference:

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

Looks like a money pit to me...almost nothing on that bike is usable. I'm guessing the pistons are frozen also. It would be a damn impressive restoration though.

Never trust the buyer, it's an old bike. Do yourself a favor and go through the motor and tranny to make sure. If you're going to half ass it then might as well not spend the money.

The triumph is different than your yamaha in that triumph's have issues and you'll need to learn to work on it. Yamaha's could porbably run on liquid dirt.

Oh, and if you get the triumph don't do to it what you did to your yamaha.

Today is the day that you can legally start buying Royal Enfield bikes in California.

Lucky for me one of the two first California dealers is three blocks from SESF, Munroe Motors.

Had i not bought a brand new Triumph four months ago i might have picked up a new Enfield to mess around with, i can't believe how cheap they are even at California retail prices, they're stickered at about $5850.

This. Or a Bimmer tourer. Shiz indestructable.

First off, for a beginner that's a pretty ballsy trip especially since you don't know how to ride.

Second, if you're going to put some serious miles on a bike don't cheap out on a piece of shit, buy what will make it there and back and then some. Are you mechanically inclined? I'm sure you'll have to do some roadside maintenance so learn about that stuff now.

Third, i'd look into getting a Kawasaki KLR 650 or some other dual cross bike. I've seen a lot of people hauling long miles on those bikes and i'm assuming that with the winters you guys have up in the Great White North those roads suffer. Get something with good shocks and has a lot of travel. This way the bike feels the road and you don't turn around half way saying "fuck this, my ass hurts."

Fourth, if you aren't leaving until next Summer take everything that you can put aside during the winter and save up for the bike that will take you on your journey, not the one that will limp you along. You'll have plenty of time in the Spring to test something out so don't jump the gun just yet and buy the first thing that you see.

Good luck in your decision process and have fun on your trip.

Enfields are also made in india out of, how you say... cast iron...?

Yup, and one Royal Enfield bike has more life in it than 100 Japanese bikes all cut up into cafe racers.

i prolly will bob the triumph..

i i dont wanna spend a leg to try to restore it man!

I'm not saying restore, I'm saying spend the money in the beginning rather than when the engine grenades itself because you wanted to save some cash for boots.

I'm really interested to see what you do to these bike.

Today is the day that you can legally start buying Royal Enfield bikes in California.

Lucky for me one of the two first California dealers is three blocks from SESF, Munroe Motors.

Had i not bought a brand new Triumph four months ago i might have picked up a new Enfield to mess around with, i can't believe how cheap they are even at California retail prices, they're stickered at about $5850.

haha my store in toronto was the first dealership in canada to get them. we got them a couple months ago. they have been a huge seller. there are still a couple kinks but they have been pretty reliable so far. haven't had a customer that wants us to trick one out for them yet though. not a highway bike though. they top out at like 120-130 pushing it. definitely a city bike.

haha my store in toronto was the first dealership in canada to get them. we got them a couple months ago. they have been a huge seller. there are still a couple kinks but they have been pretty reliable so far. haven't had a customer that wants us to trick one out for them yet though. not a highway bike though. they top out at like 120-130 pushing it. definitely a city bike.

Wait, the 500cc version of the bike only goes up to 80 MPH?

yeah they are pretty underpowered. really just a simple cool looking city bike. i've had one to 130kph and it didn't feel like it would be much fun trying to go faster. i was on one that wasn't broken in yet so that may have added to it.

your triumph is a much better bike thats for sure. mind you i would take the guzzi v7 over the triumph. i like that the v7 is shaft drive and i am not a big fan of the stock triumph tanks. to each his own i guess.

currently trying to see if the norton guy for canada will let me take one out for a weekend. i am trying to ply him into thinking i am interested in selling them at my store even though i would never try and sell a bike that expensive.

Yup, and one Royal Enfield bike has more life in it than 100 Japanese bikes all cut up into cafe racers.

Couldn't tell ya either way but I'd believe it. Apparently, (hearsay) their factory for 350s that are only sold in asia is all original tooling from the old British factory and everything is still made the same way it was 50 years ago. Cast iron block, right side shift, kickstart only, etc. Pretty cool shit from a pretty cool brand. That being said I've heard from many people that they're super underpowered and really better as city/commuter bikes.

So this bike is up for sale in my city, its a 1956 BMW R50. Its in rough shape, needs a lot of work and there isnt a list price, shes accepting offers. Do you guys think its even worth it? And if so, how much would you offer?

Here are some photos for reference:

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

BMW8negro.jpg

a stunning bike, but I implore you NOT to buy that unless you are completely aware of how much work it will be...that rusty pile of junk could be restored, but the engine is probably seized, none of the electrics work, the shocks and all the rubber components are ruined.....alot of work in that one

68 bonny for 1500 buy or not? not in good shape but engine and frame is intack

going to bob it yes or no?

Demonito,

it all depends on what needs to be replaced. DOES THE BIKE HAVE COMPRESSION? by the looks of it, i would say it doesn't.

I would say that the bike has to be somewhat in "ok shape/somewhat poor" for $1500, but for that trumpet, it looks like you will be spending a lot of time on ebay for many used parts. Also, these bikes have go down in price over the last few years, just b/c people not having $$ to spend...

Be forewarned though, that these triumphs DO require TLC

bike when first purchased 2 yrs ago @ $3k

T120R-1.jpg

bike's current look minus the new carbs

bonne.jpg

my bike from last year next to my buddy's 911

IMG00049-20100402-1911.jpg

bike's condition has relatively stayed the same w/in those past 2 yrs + some additional parts invested totalling to @ about $1.1k to $1.5k - (wire harness, battery, mirrors + half of which i really didn't need.. i.e. led tail lamps, new girling shocks, new mikuni's which just arrived this past weekend & other misc...)

my new carbs :)

ef3d150f-2.jpg

PS - pls don't bob the triumph...it truly is the classic of all classic bikes

Anybody have any winter projects?

I´m going to attempt to make a fiberglass seat cowl for my 900 seca.

I also picked up a -71 nova (four door...) with a working trans and v8 for $1500 that I´m going to try to fix up. (Not bike related but anyway)

Demonito,

it all depends on what needs to be replaced. DOES THE BIKE HAVE COMPRESSION? by the looks of it, i would say it doesn't.

I would say that the bike has to be somewhat in "ok shape/somewhat poor" for $1500, but for that trumpet, it looks like you will be spending a lot of time on ebay for many used parts. Also, these bikes have go down in price over the last few years, just b/c people not having $$ to spend...

Be forewarned though, that these triumphs DO require TLC

bike when first purchased 2 yrs ago @ $3k

T120R-1.jpg

bike's current look minus the new carbs

bonne.jpg

my bike from last year next to my buddy's 911

IMG00049-20100402-1911.jp

bike's condition has relatively stayed the same w/in those past 2 yrs + some additional parts invested totalling to @ about $1.1k to $1.5k - (wire harness, battery, mirrors + half of which i really didn't need.. i.e. led tail lamps, new girling shocks, new mikuni's which just arrived this past weekend & other misc...)

my new carbs :)

ef3d150f-2.jpg

PS - pls don't bob the triumph...it truly is the classic of all classic bikes

My father recently bought a 2009 Bonneville. He loves it. And great point about bobbing a triumph, although they were some of the original choppers.

But, my father also bought me a 1977 Honda cb550F Supersport to turn into a cafe racer together.

On the way for it are clubman handle bars and a single seat. Taking it a piece at a time. :cool:

I'd love to get a 550.

My buddy has one, I found it sluggish as hell stock just cruising around the city. Apparently they scream at higher rpms though. Also felt heavy for the engine size, but what the hell do I know. I've got a fucking Buell Blast.

If you stripped off all the crap threw some clipons/clubmans for a more forward stance, added a single seat, and improved the breathing they'd probably be a blast though.