motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

My buddy has one, I found it sluggish as hell stock just cruising around the city. Apparently they scream at higher rpms though. Also felt heavy for the engine size, but what the hell do I know. I've got a fucking Buell Blast.

If you stripped off all the crap threw some clipons/clubmans for a more forward stance, added a single seat, and improved the breathing they'd probably be a blast though.

Older bikes will be heavier, slower feeling, and have worse suspension settings. The CB550 is a good 100lb heavier than the Blast. That's part of the joy in owning an older bike though. All those quirks put a lot more emphasis on rider skill.

The CB550 and the Blast are very similar bikes in terms of output. Both have a 5-speed although the CB550 is geared lower 1-4 and 5th is for cruising on the freeway. They both make around 30lb-ft of torque but the CB550 makes 50bhp vs just 34bhp from the Blast. A inline-4 will also feel slower off the line vs a single-cylinder like the Blast, but you're right when you say they scream at high RPMs.

Older bikes will be heavier, slower feeling, and have worse suspension settings. The CB550 is a good 100lb heavier than the Blast. That's part of the joy in owning an older bike though. All those quirks put a lot more emphasis on rider skill.

The CB550 and the Blast are very similar bikes in terms of output. Both have a 5-speed although the CB550 is geared lower 1-4 and 5th is for cruising on the freeway. They both make around 30lb-ft of torque but the CB550 makes 50bhp vs just 34bhp from the Blast. A inline-4 will also feel slower off the line vs a single-cylinder like the Blast, but you're right when you say they scream at high RPMs.

Totally, which I why plan on probably moving to a heavier, older, heavier bike after I've spent a few more months dialing my technique and skills. The blast is a great learner bike for all the reasons you sited, plus the fact that it's retardedly simple to work on.

But, when/if I get an older bike, you can betcher arse I'm gonna be stripping the weight some and throwing the stance forward to get a more intuitive body position for turning. Throwing clubmans on my steed did wonders for the handling. Cafe racers were smart folks in regards to design.

Just got my permit a few days ago, and my friend is letting me use a old janky ass bike that he bought recently to practice. And when I mean janky, it's really janky.. This shift paddle is bent in so you can't shift up, it's just stuck in first gear all the time. And it doesn't run smoothly at all.. He bought it for 300$. I guess it's an OK bike to practice on though, doesn't go too fast and I'm going to take MSF courses later so it doesn't really matter. Just need something to get used to.

Anyway I need to start buying gear, helmet, jacket, boots, etc. I've been following this thread for a while but I haven't really seen that discussed too much. How much is a decent price for each piece of gear? My friend has a used HJK AC12 he's willing to part for 75$. And a leather jacket for 100. I'll have to check it out tomorrow, but yeah. Also what brands are good etc? I'm not trying to pay out the ass for gear, I still need money to buy a bike and shit.

Well helmet is bare minimum, I think getting a jacket would be a good idea as well. I don't have enough money to buy a bike outright right now anyhow (about $1k saved up) and i still need to pay for MSF class, so yeah. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Well helmet is bare minimum, I think getting a jacket would be a good idea as well. I don't have enough money to buy a bike outright right now anyhow (about $1k saved up) and i still need to pay for MSF class, so yeah. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The bare minimum to ride, in my opinion, is helmet and gloves. I've come to the conclusion that I look retarded as a power ranger and so I only wear full leathers at the track. I rarely ride on the freeway though as I live in a city.

When it comes to helmets, take a look at webbikeworld. The most important thing to look for in a helmet is fit and comfort. Go into any motorcycle shop and just start trying on helmets. Shake your head around while you wear it, sit on a bike and pretend you're dragging some knee, etc. If you feel any discomfort with a helmet, once you ride, imagine that discomfort except tenfold and you can't do anything about it.

You might be thinking, what are the differences between a $100 helmet and a $400 helmet. I've ridden with almost every brand out there and although those HJC and Scorpion helmets aren't bad, there's a definite improvement once you try a Shoei or Arai. Whether it be material, finish, or just design, you get what you pay for. When I rode with a Scorpion, the seal where the visor met the helmet was off and so there was a jet of air that shot straight into my right eye. It looked like I was crying from just one eye...

And just for future reference, I am a Shoei guy but I also have a couple Arai helmets around. This is my RF-1100

desktop2vb.jpg

also, in the front page of the DMV motorcycle handbook, there is a 20% off coupon to cyclegear.

Yeah, like the MSF classes, it's worth paying for something that might one day save your life. I actually went to check out a few helmets at the local motorcycle shop after the helmet my friend had was a little too tight on me. He had a HJC helm, size S, and it fit too tight to the point it hurt my face. But when I tried out HJC helmets at the shop, I could barely get a size M over my head, and when I did, it really hurt. Kind of weird, I guess it's because my friend's helmet was already broken in? Anyway I think I'm gonna go with a large, fits tight on the cheeks (which I heard its suppose to) but snug enough where it doesn't hurt my head. I tried a HJC CL-SP on in store, and on webbikworld it has pretty good reviews (best motorcycle product of 2005? yes plz) so I'll probably get that.

Checked out some gloves too, not really sure which are good/bad. Tried on some at the store that had armor on fingers/knuckles and seemed overall durable that were about 50$. A lot of them didn't even have armor or padding, they were just regular leather gloves. Catered to the Harley/Cruiser crowd I guess? Again I don't really know what's good and how much they go for so any information would be appreciated.

Also as for the power ranger comment, I remember hearing somewhere that it's better for bikers to wear bright clothing so they stand out more and have a better chance to be seen? I dunno maybe it was just helmets.

And props and that awesome looking helmet, I think I saw it on exteeng or her friend's tumblr or something. I also have a friend who's pretty artistic, maybe I'll commision him to decorate my helmet? haha. I'm guessing you need some special paint/primer for it though?

Yeah, like the MSF classes, it's worth paying for something that might one day save your life. I actually went to check out a few helmets at the local motorcycle shop after the helmet my friend had was a little too tight on me. He had a HJC helm, size S, and it fit too tight to the point it hurt my face. But when I tried out HJC helmets at the shop, I could barely get a size M over my head, and when I did, it really hurt. Kind of weird, I guess it's because my friend's helmet was already broken in? Anyway I think I'm gonna go with a large, fits tight on the cheeks (which I heard its suppose to) but snug enough where it doesn't hurt my head. I tried a HJC CL-SP on in store, and on webbikworld it has pretty good reviews (best motorcycle product of 2005? yes plz) so I'll probably get that.

Checked out some gloves too, not really sure which are good/bad. Tried on some at the store that had armor on fingers/knuckles and seemed overall durable that were about 50$. Again I don't really know what's good and how much they go for so any information would be appreciated.

Also as for the power ranger comment, I remember hearing somewhere that it's better for bikers to wear bright clothing so they stand out more and have a better chance to be seen? I dunno maybe it was just helmets.

And props and that awesome looking helmet, I think I saw it on exteeng or her friend's tumblr or something. I also have a friend who's pretty artistic, maybe I'll commision him to decorate my helmet? haha. I'm guessing you need some special paint/primer for it though?

You're correct in saying helmets do fit snug at first but I've heard of instances where padding can be swapped between sizes and greatly improves fit. I know my friend had trouble fitting a Scorpion EXO-400 in small but once he put in the medium-sized pads, it fit perfectly.

My first pair of gloves were Joe Rocket Blasters and I still have them to this day. Gloves also break in so if you're at a shop, ask for a pair that is new and one that has been on the floor for a while. That way, you can make a comparison. Check out newenough as well.

As for bright clothing, I'm probably the most reckless and expedient motorcyclist. Ask exteeng (she thinks it's fun)or neptunecitylocal. I wear all dark colours, even at night. The helmet was done by p4rkkit with sharpie oil-based paint pens.

ATGATT and MSF courses/having good skills are the smartest ways to keep yourself in one piece. Take the course, wear the gear. Boots, jeans/leathers, jacket, gloves, helmet. Just wear it. You don't have to look like a power ranger to ride, but you can bet your ass you'll be happier when you lay it down.

not sure if i should fix up my honda rebel bobber or just get a new bike.

its gonna be about 500 to fix and register.

if i get a new one, i'll probably get one for 2000-4000. depending on what it is.

some dude in burbank builds cafe racers and sold this one for 4500

IMG_1529.jpg

so that got me thinking on what i should do.

What do you mean flips them?

I'm heading to Burbank to go check his bikes on Friday.

howd you get that info? if you dont mind me asking.

his website btw

http://vintagehondacb.com/VintageHondaCB/Welcome.html

edit:

weird.

so i emailed the guy after i saw his listing on CL. asked him how much this cb500 was going for.

http://vintagehondacb.com/VintageHondaCB/FOR_SALE/Pages/1973_CB500_Cafe.html

he said he just sold it the day before. for 4500.

im searching on the net for bikes and i find this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Professionally-Built-CB500-Cafe-Racer-/320611879776?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item4aa5f50b60#ht_8639wt_1165

Just a quick little tip for parking your bikes on a windy day. I just had four customers of mine call when their bikes got knocked over in the wind. You should always park you bikes east to west or west to east. Most wind travels that way and most bikes are not designed to aerodynamic from the side. I am sure this is basic for most people but I hate seeing that many dumped bikes in one day for such a preventable reason.