motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

ok so i'm new to bikes and looking to get a CB550 as my first bike. it'll cost me roughly $1000-$1800 for just the bike. is that a lot for ~40,000 km (25,000 miles)?

also plan to cafe it with my dad, and am pretty psyched. wondering if anyone who has completed a build could give me a rough estimate of the total cost. thanks in advance for any info

yo, i bought my 76 cb550 with 28k for 800$ in good running condition (had to clean the carbs and little things here and there) so i think 1000$ for a clean running bike is pretty okay deal.

all that denim said is true. have a goal in mind of what you want. took me a while to figure what tank and seat styles i liked and different details i liked. the cool thing is that the cafe thing has been done since the 60's. anything you can think of has already been done. look for inspiration. the dotheton and sohc forums are great places to start looking.

To start these are things that you may consider:

- Define in advance what you want the bike to look like when finished (Style, stand, for which usage, etc) do you want to keep a true period look?

- Start by using the bike 'as is': clean it, tune the engine well, and modify step by step as you ride it for pleasure. get the bike running great first! 100 % tuned up

- Source most of the parts used on Ebay, Craigslist, etc and recondition them yourself: invest in polishing and painting equipment. It's OK to use the original parts of the bike as long as they look good like new.

i think i have invested under 2k total for my bike as is. one thing i recommend soon is new coils and dyna S ignition. made my bike a lot smoother (about 220$ total)

if your gonna go with cafe look, it basically means low handle bars (clip ons, i love my tomaselli bars to keep with a period look (about 150$) rear set foot controls (i went with some Tomaselli rearsets (~280$, took a bit of work as they don't make a off the shelf kit for 550 and had to be creative to keep the kick start) and a nice hump type seat (under 200$ for a real nice one). i hope you pick up a F supersport model, or else a cooler looking gas tank is in order.

and then strip the fuck out of it. anything i didn't need i did away with. pod filters replaced my stock intake, and a aftermarket muffler simplified the pipes and lightened the bike load. i have smaller gauges and lowered the head light a bit to really clean up and simplify the lines and silhouette of the bike (no turn signals and only one mirror)

keep in mind there isn't as much of a following for the 550 compared to the 400 and 500. more and cheaper parts are available for those models. stylistically the look pretty much the same.

hit me up if you have any other questions.

ok so i'm new to bikes and looking to get a CB550 as my first bike. it'll cost me roughly $1000-$1800 for just the bike. is that a lot for ~40,000 km (25,000 miles)?

also plan to cafe it with my dad, and am pretty psyched. wondering if anyone who has completed a build could give me a rough estimate of the total cost. thanks in advance for any info

yo, i bought my 76 cb550 with 28k for 800$ in good running condition (had to clean the carbs and little things here and there) so i think 1000$ for a clean running bike is pretty okay deal.

all that denim said is true. have a goal in mind of what you want. took me a while to figure what tank and seat styles i liked and different details i liked. the cool thing is that the cafe thing has been done since the 60's. anything you can think of has already been done. look for inspiration. the dotheton and sohc forums are great places to start looking.

To start these are things that you may consider:

- Define in advance what you want the bike to look like when finished (Style, stand, for which usage, etc) do you want to keep a true period look?

- Start by using the bike 'as is': clean it, tune the engine well, and modify step by step as you ride it for pleasure. get the bike running great first! 100 % tuned up

- Source most of the parts used on Ebay, Craigslist, etc and recondition them yourself: invest in polishing and painting equipment. It's OK to use the original parts of the bike as long as they look good like new.

i think i have invested under 2k total for my bike as is. one thing i recommend soon is new coils and dyna S ignition. made my bike a lot smoother (about 220$ total)

if your gonna go with cafe look, it basically means low handle bars (clip ons, i love my tomaselli bars to keep with a period look (about 150$) rear set foot controls (i went with some Tomaselli rearsets (~280$, took a bit of work as they don't make a off the shelf kit for 550 and had to be creative to keep the kick start) and a nice hump type seat (under 200$ for a real nice one). i hope you pick up a F supersport model, or else a cooler looking gas tank is in order.

and then strip the fuck out of it. anything i didn't need i did away with. pod filters replaced my stock intake, and a aftermarket muffler simplified the pipes and lightened the bike load. i have smaller gauges and lowered the head light a bit to really clean up and simplify the lines and silhouette of the bike (no turn signals and only one mirror)

keep in mind there isn't as much of a following for the 550 compared to the 400 and 500. more and cheaper parts are available for those models. stylistically the look pretty much the same.

hit me up if you have any other questions.

nice. also since this is sufu, i recommend you take to take styling cues from either the early british cafe racers from the 60s and early 70s GT track bikes (ie CR750)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/sets/72157613288461253/show/

i try my best to stay away from most of the modern looking hop up parts.

nice. also since this is sufu, i recommend you take to take styling cues from either the early british cafe racers from the 60s and early 70s GT track bikes (ie CR750)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30096576@N05/sets/72157613288461253/show/

i try my best to stay away from most of the modern looking hop up parts.

not a fan of bright painted frames and a cafe racer but a little spray paint can fix that. powder coat if you wanna go the extra mile. IMO, only thing with bright colors should be the tank and seat and fairings if you got em.

looks like the bike has thoroughly been gone through, meaning it looks like it been disassembled and reassembled. if i had a choice i was go for a more virgin and complete bike. i would offer him $500 bluff and walk away. if he doesn't bite, call back the next day with a little better offer.

not a fan of bright painted frames and a cafe racer but a little spray paint can fix that. powder coat if you wanna go the extra mile. IMO, only thing with bright colors should be the tank and seat and fairings if you got em.

looks like the bike has thoroughly been gone through, meaning it looks like it been disassembled and reassembled. if i had a choice i was go for a more virgin and complete bike. i would offer him $500 bluff and walk away. if he doesn't bite, call back the next day with a little better offer.

poops, if you do come to las vegas hit me up, we'll hang.

what are you going to be riding down on?

I-80 across Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming sucks.

Taking the I-80 through Iowa, Nebraska, and then to Colorado wouldn't be bad. I bet riding in the mountains would be really awesome.

my major stops along the way will be wichita, ks; round rock, tx (for a giant donut); albuquerque, nm; prescott valley, az; then to vegas

i'm trying to do backroads as much as i can

i was thinking of going through the rockies on my way back to chicago, but as you've said, after you get out of the mountains the ride gets boring. i lived in nebraska for a while, might be cool to see how its changed

well i got into an accident earlier today. clipped a car head on at around 20mph. flipped and went into the air, landed on my back but other than a puncture on my thigh, and left ankle/foot hurting, i'm ok. i was wearing just a tee and dickies (on my way to work). no road rash though. as for a helmet, i was wearing shoei-rf1100. cost $340 but worth it because I felt my head hit the ground. cant imagine if i didnt have one (not that i would EVER ride without one)

but yeah, to everyone who rides ride extremely carefully.

btw pictures of bike once i heal/able to walk without pain