motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

• 2 weeks later...

^^i like

photo-5-1.jpg

been riding to work for the past week. runs real sweet!!!

new pods plus 4 into 1 header and new jets for the carbs.

about to install my dyna s ignition and coils and clip on handle bars and rear set foot pegs and new gauges and new headlight mounts this weekend (head light will sit lower)

i have a dunstall style seat on order from carpy. :)

i need to rebuild my front brake, feels squishy.

xj900.jpg

I got this bike from my uncle because it didn´t run. It´s a yamaha 750 seca but the engine is replaced by the 900 seca engine. It runs now.

My plans for it this winter is:

Mount the headlight and fairing lower.

Change the gas tank to something with a flat bottom.

Build a shorter fiberglass single seat.

Maybe wrap the pipes if the paint starts to chip off.

I don't know, you can't really tell from the photo but it doesn't look like Max is riding the bike.

I've seen this picture on several occasions, does anyone know the story behind this?

Thanks.

tumblr_l6b6q0r8XF1qz7lxdo1_500.jpg

It's from an Adam Wright "Roadcourse" book, from the first one I believe. It's hard to tell what's going on since you can't see the right side of the picture, the lead up to the jump.

On a side note, I was really stoked to finally see this bike in person at Born Free II. It, was, sweet.

84A.jpg

hey all,

i've been thinking about it for a year now, and now im strongly considering putting the money and time down for a bike, mostly for commuting to school and the city.

i've lurked the past 40 or so pages of this thread, as well as a few other sites, and though overhyped, i do think i want a honda cb 350 as a starter bike. it's a bit overprices for what it is, it seems, but so far, i am very much in love with the aesthetics at least.

the only problem is i have no knowledge whatsoever in riding a bike and none of my immediate friends are bike owners either. if, say, i wanted to get some absolute beginner's lessons with rented bikes or something like that, would you know a place to recommend? i've seen some people talk about MSF, but this seems to require some prior knowledge from what's implied.

any help would be great; i'm currently in the LA area for summer but go to school in chicago. references for either location would be great, thanks!

edit: oh yea, and i'm definitely looking for traditional/naked/standard bikes; no crotch rockets for me :-)

Some colleges offer MSF courses which are designed for people who know absolutely nothing about motorcycles. They'll teach you the basics that you need to know. I would highly recommend looking one of those up, especially if you haven't been on a motorcycle before and you don't have friends who own one.

A CB350 is a good bike but you'll outgrow it once you get comfortable riding. Plus, after you take the MSF course you'll be confident enough to handle at least a CB550, which is where i'd start.

Those are great looking bikes stock and freakin' sweet looking bikes cafe'd.

...i have no knowledge whatsoever in riding a bike and none of my immediate friends are bike owners either. if, say, i wanted to get some absolute beginner's lessons with rented bikes or something like that, would you know a place to recommend? i've seen some people talk about MSF, but this seems to require some prior knowledge from what's implied...

Thats not the case at all. The BRC (basic rider's course) is roughly 1/3 classroom time, 2/3 riding time. You learn how to handle a bike and all that good stuff on paper, then you take it to the pavement, then you're tested on it.

I'd say that someone who has never set ass on a bike before would be fine taking the BRC - the one that gets your DMV road test waived.

And now to bring the strife part of the thread back!

I got rear ended on my beater in Belmar this past weekend. Happened at a red light. Dead stopped traffic behind and in front. The lady just drove once the light changed and failed to notice me in front of her. Bike out from under me, head onto her hood, then once she stopped I got thrown to the ground on my side/back in front of the downed machine.

Bike was a 98 GS500 with ~31k miles on the clock, and it seems like shes going to be totaled.

Spent 3 hours in the hospital and missed a wedding ceremony, but I'm not much worse for the wear. Baseball sized bruise on my hip and a wrecked pair of jawnz. Nice to be a MTGATT guy.

Not sure if I should hop up my CL450 or buy another beater with the insurance money. Decisions decisions.

Ride safe!

hey all, i really appreciate the quick responses. i will definitely be signing up for the MSF beginners course then; sounds like the perfect place to start.

as for bike choice, the cb350 is small, but i'm mostly sticking to local roads, so we'll have to see how well it can meet my needs (and wants). basically whatever i can get a great deal on i will be leaning toward.

thanks again all

hey all, i really appreciate the quick responses. i will definitely be signing up for the MSF beginners course then; sounds like the perfect place to start.

as for bike choice, the cb350 is small, but i'm mostly sticking to local roads, so we'll have to see how well it can meet my needs (and wants). basically whatever i can get a great deal on i will be leaning toward.

thanks again all

MSF is great. CB350 sounds good for what you want to do and they come and go on Craigslist easily enough. Don't put too too much stock about "this bike does this, that bike does that." They're pieces of metal, they do what they're told until the break.

Case in point I just took a clapped out, bleeding to death 1997 GS500E to Nova Scotia and back.

4897933300_e86c4409a3_z_d.jpg

To concede a little, I'm going to buy a V-Strom 650 this week before I move to Texas.