motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

hey all,

would like opinions/advice on this:

2008 Ducati 695 monster:

front forks and handel bars bent, missing gauge and headlight. everything else in excelent shape, branded title frame not bent,

is it worth it to get and fix for $1500 CAD? thanks in advance

update: spoke with the guy again

the title on the bike is "irreparable", meaning i have to get another frame with clean title and swap it

is it still worth the price? frame will cost me at least $500. guy said i can do this myself. is it decently easy to swap the frame yourself? i work on cars with my dad but motorcycles is a first

the title on the bike is "irreparable", meaning i have to get another frame with clean title and swap it

is it still worth the price? frame will cost me at least $500. guy said i can do this myself. is it decently easy to swap the frame yourself? i work on cars with my dad but motorcycles is a first

Definitely doable but to be honest, it's not that special of a bike to be worth the effort. It'll never ride as nice as it did stock and you'll end up spending a buttload of money. If you're set on a Ducati Monster and don't care for the all the fancy new stuff on the 696, I'd personally give it a shot.

walk away. not worth the trouble, and it's not that easy to swap the frame. once you start taking it apart there will probably be other problems. i would only do it if you have lots of time and space. also it will be impossible to sell that bike in the future.

thanks for your reply again polishmike,

yeah i walked away. especially didn't like that he wasn't completely upfront about it. at first he said it was salvagable and you just have to fix bits. then it became irreparable

on a side note, i notice that bikes are sometimes a couple thousand cheaper in the USA. has anyone on here had personal experience with the import process to Canada?

if it is a vintage bike all really need is the title, if it is a modern bike it is a little more difficult, you need a title, some sort of certificate that it is good for canada and permission from the manufacturer to import. if you go to ministry of transportation site they have an explanation as well as the list of bikes that you able to have on the road in canada (small list unfortunately). it is a hassle to bring new bikes over. don't reccommend it.

Just swapped out for clubmans on my little Buell Blast. Way more assertive riding feel/position but I feel/look like a monkey humping a football now. Then again, so did these guys...

cafe+racer+groups+yahoo+com+kccaferacers.jpg

500cc thumpers are fun with a little work. Bidding on some stock rearsets to mod out for a more aero/sportier position. I should prolly save my $ but at like $30 a pop it's really not that bad...

So this bike is up for sale in my city, its a 1956 BMW R50. Its in rough shape, needs a lot of work and there isnt a list price, shes accepting offers. Do you guys think its even worth it? And if so, how much would you offer?

Here are some photos for reference:

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

Heyo sufu

I'm planning a trip out to the east coast of canada this summer on a bike (from central Ontario, for you non NA crew that's quite the haul), and I am looking for advice. I have never been on a bike before, and am wondering what to buy. I need something that will last me the trip, and is reasonably priced (around 1500$), that isn't too powerful as I am obviously am pretty inexperienced. Any advice? I was looking at this 85' Honda nighthawk that is currently going for a grand not too far from here, is ridden everyday and starts on the first touch, and is in otherwise (seemingly) good condition. Thoughts?

Thanks crew

nighthawks make pretty standard starter bikes. i learned how to ride on one, so i can recommend it at least. there are better starters out there of course, but i'd say it's a fairly reliable and safe choice.

on to another topic, i picked up a honda cb350 for silly cheap this past week, running shape w/o title. i know im in for an assload of shit for that title, but i'm gonna try the guys at ITS to try to conjure one for me, and if all else fails, hopefully i'll find a titled 350 frame to swap in way later down the road.

anywho, it's only got 7k miles, has oddly 450 carbs on it which makes it run a bit hot, but overall runs great. only major issue is with the electrical components, it seems the alternator either isnt working or is doing something harmful as my new battery cant last much longer than 2 hours on the road before a recharge. other than that, huge potential on the bike to get cafe'd out and something to work on as a winter project while i'm holed up here in chicago. already got a fuel tank, side covers, handlebar, seat, and rear fender/taillight coming in for some swapping.

so far here's what the bike looked like when i picked it up, def will post pics once i'm deep in work.

47039_450114526600_551071600_5669089_3318209_n.jpg

As someone with a 500cc I can officially tell you that I wish I had more power on the highway. If you've never owned a bike before, you definitely need to build up some some chops before you undertake a few thou in the saddle. Take a riders safety course first, learning to ride the right way the first time around is a smart choice (coming from someone who didn't do that the first time around and did the second.) Also start by puttering around town on a "standard" bike between 350-550 and get used to how a bike handles in turns, brakes, etc. Then I'd be moving up to something bigger than 750 for a tour for sure. Heavier bike is a blessing for longer trips.

It's definitely the right season to buy though as nobody wants to garage shit for the winter. Kind of a bummer riding in ontario in the cold though no?

Heyo sufu

I'm planning a trip out to the east coast of canada this summer on a bike (from central Ontario, for you non NA crew that's quite the haul), and I am looking for advice. I have never been on a bike before, and am wondering what to buy. I need something that will last me the trip, and is reasonably priced (around 1500$), that isn't too powerful as I am obviously am pretty inexperienced. Any advice? I was looking at this 85' Honda nighthawk that is currently going for a grand not too far from here, is ridden everyday and starts on the first touch, and is in otherwise (seemingly) good condition. Thoughts?

Thanks crew

yeah it gets pretty frosty, but seeing as im a student and don't live at "home" during the winter, i wouldn't get a chance to ride is as it would be keep there in a warm place. im going to be taking a safety course to obtain what we called our 'm2' before heading out for the trip, so everything should be okay. as for sizing up before heading out, i don't know if thats feasible for me. i might just have to bear with what i got!

Heyo sufu

Thanks crew

First off, for a beginner that's a pretty ballsy trip especially since you don't know how to ride.

Second, if you're going to put some serious miles on a bike don't cheap out on a piece of shit, buy what will make it there and back and then some. Are you mechanically inclined? I'm sure you'll have to do some roadside maintenance so learn about that stuff now.

Third, i'd look into getting a Kawasaki KLR 650 or some other dual cross bike. I've seen a lot of people hauling long miles on those bikes and i'm assuming that with the winters you guys have up in the Great White North those roads suffer. Get something with good shocks and has a lot of travel. This way the bike feels the road and you don't turn around half way saying "fuck this, my ass hurts."

Fourth, if you aren't leaving until next Summer take everything that you can put aside during the winter and save up for the bike that will take you on your journey, not the one that will limp you along. You'll have plenty of time in the Spring to test something out so don't jump the gun just yet and buy the first thing that you see.

Good luck in your decision process and have fun on your trip.

300 tops god dman owner of that bike is shit

So this bike is up for sale in my city, its a 1956 BMW R50. Its in rough shape, needs a lot of work and there isnt a list price, shes accepting offers. Do you guys think its even worth it? And if so, how much would you offer?

Here are some photos for reference:

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0005.jpg