Samurai Denim

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

I guess if you don't want to sell them you can just wear them and never do a hot wash. When they get really dirty just wash them cold and wear them while damp to make sure they fit.

very good suggestion!:)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I decided there was no way I'm going to wear my jeans the way they fit stock, and brought them to alter. Basically I tapered the whole thing to fit my legs.

I'm alot happier with the fit now than what it initially was, what do you guys think ?

f_Photo0008m_ad3c407.jpg

f_Photo0009m_526ad6f.jpg

f_Photo0010m_073f14d.jpg

Which brings me to a serious question. Why do you guys try so hard to find a jeans with the perfect fit, with so many different brands and models when you can just bring them to a tailor and get the fit you want ?

Okay I thought that maybe sometimes you want a more relaxed fit, sometimes a more skinny fit. But isn't that all there is to it ?

Imho if everyone has a certain idea on how they want their jeans to fit, then the only variable in the equation would be the type and quality of denim, wouldn't it ? Of course not forgetting the little details that matter so much sometimes.

I'm saying this because right now, I see no point in getting myself another PBJ or SDA jeans because I know I'm just going to bring them to get altered again. Unless there are some outstanding details, or some orgasmic denim then would I consider.

Received my sammies yesterday and was sent the wrong size (32" waist - and I asked for 34" waist). They JUST fit around the waist, but once I wash them, they'll be impossible to button-up. Therefore, I'll be returning the 32". Where I wear my jeans measures 33" so I'm sure the 34" sammies will fit well after a wash. I can always wear them a little higher.

First pair of denim over 15oz - these things are incredible!!

Mepp - there are SO many models and cuts of jeans out there...its just easier to find the right cut than risk paying big bucks for any pair and having them tailored. The original constructions of the jeans are (for me) a selling feature in itself, so I don't want to play with things like that.

But to each their own! If you can't get the cut you want without a tailor, then you do whatever you have to do...but try not to give the rest of us flack for doing it differently. ;)

I'm saying this because right now, I see no point in getting myself another PBJ or SDA jeans because I know I'm just going to bring them to get altered again. Unless there are some outstanding details, or some orgasmic denim then would I consider.

I'd say this mentality completely clashes with the way superfuture thinks about jeans. It's not a heap of scrap material that is simple to deconstruct. There are differences between Pure Blue Japan, Samurai, Eternal, and all of the brands we talk about, and we revel in those differences. The way jeans are cut is one of their defining characteristics. When you change their shape, they lose something.

id say get some selvedge denim from japan and have a bespoke pair have a tailor make you one and mark you name on the patch that is something.. you dont just go on altering branded pants.. cause what you are actually paying for is the cut and the fit of the at actual model you chose by altering it you just threw half of your money in trash

For the 15 oz Texas Cotton fabric, how much should I expect the waistband to stretch after some wear?

Basically the S0310XX size 34" measures 33.8-35" after washing according to 2nd. I'll need it to measure 35" to be comfortable. Should I go with the 35" which measures 34.8-36" after wash, or will the 34 stretch enough?

So I decided there was no way I'm going to wear my jeans the way they fit stock, and brought them to alter. Basically I tapered the whole thing to fit my legs.

I'm alot happier with the fit now than what it initially was, what do you guys think ?

i'm sorry mepp but your first pic reminds me of clown pants those huge hip flares paired with your taper make it look like this

jamiebigpants0406.jpg

Mepp - there are SO many models and cuts of jeans out there...its just easier to find the right cut than risk paying big bucks for any pair and having them tailored. The original constructions of the jeans are (for me) a selling feature in itself, so I don't want to play with things like that.

But to each their own! If you can't get the cut you want without a tailor, then you do whatever you have to do...but try not to give the rest of us flack for doing it differently. ;)

Hey hey don't get me wrong. Maybe I didn't say it the right way, I have nothing against yall. It's just something I can't figure out.

Anyway regarding what you said, I trust my tailor enough to know that the risk is minimal. I don't understand how original construction can be a selling point though. Oh well. Maybe it's tougher for people who really rip those jeans apart.

i've never did any alterations except hemming.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Because so many of us don't do any alterations, we end up buying pair after pair, looking for the perfect fit.

And yup, I'm sorry about the first picture. It's definitely the angle that makes it look like that.

the 34 will stretch enough... way enough.. it will stretch i repeat

What will the 34's stretch to after a hot wash after ~10 wears? My APCs stretched about 2" but when I wash them, they shrink a little bit and fit nice.

Again, where my jeans sit measures 33" and I want to exchange my 32" samurais for 34"...

Input?

sam2.jpgsam3.jpg

id say get some selvedge denim from japan and have a bespoke pair have a tailor make you one and mark you name on the patch that is something.. you dont just go on altering branded pants.. cause what you are actually paying for is the cut and the fit of the at actual model you chose by altering it you just threw half of your money in trash

Is this what motivates your buying sprees ? Paying for a cut and fit that is unique but doesn't fit well ? How does altering it throw half the money into the trash, if it only makes it look better ?

Fair enough if you say it disturbs you mentally. I can try to understand.

You say that what you pay for is the cut and fit of an actual model, but haven't you found any flaws in even your favourite pair ? Then you'll realise that if you correct these flaws, you'll have the perfect fitting pair. And then you'll realise that if you correct all the flaws in all your jeans, you're going to get a similar end result for every pair. Minus the ones you want to fit skinny and the ones you want to fit baggy, which shouldn't be too many.

remus stick with it love the fit on you thats how a s5000 should fit try cold soaking them first.. than hot soak them when they stretch out they will stretch those are the zero denim those stretch a lot well not like apc's but they stretch a bit stick with it man

Is this what motivates your buying sprees ? Paying for a cut and fit that is unique but doesn't fit well ? How does altering it throw half the money into the trash, if it only makes it look better ?

Fair enough if you say it disturbs you mentally. I can try to understand.

You say that what you pay for is the cut and fit of an actual model, but haven't you found any flaws in even your favourite pair ? Then you'll realise that if you correct these flaws, you'll have the perfect fitting pair. And then you'll realise that if you correct all the flaws in all your jeans, you're going to get a similar end result for every pair. Minus the ones you want to fit skinny and the ones you want to fit baggy, which shouldn't be too many.

all im saying is if you want " the perfect cut of jeans" get one done (bespoke) not buying expensive jeans and altering them .... well up to you its your dough

If only I could afford to get a pair of each.

I'm leaning towards the 5000's since I think they're a tiny bit slimmer. I need to get a tape measure out to see how it'll fit on me.

Are Sams labelled like Canes so that they shrink down to tagged size. Or should I juse size up by two?

I'm pretty sure the 0500 is slimmer than the 5000...or at least appears to be. As Edmond said, size down 1 from your normal size.

Do they stretch out a lot? Once again,referring to my Canes, I got them in 31 and now they fit perfect after stretching out.

Also, not trying to be a pain to anyone, but what's with the Zero denim?

And thanks :) I wouldn't normally ask so much, but I'm always like this when it comes to buying a new pair of denim. :D

Mepp, unless your tailor has vintage chainstitching machines and the correct colour 100% cotton threads for rebuilding the jeans in question, the construction of your altered pair will never be the same (as good as) the original samurais.

The inseams are double chain stitched with 2 different colours. I'm not sure any tailor would boother to replicate this unless it was their passion. Lets not even start on the selvedge, god forbid that your tailor butchered that.

So in the end, you have drastically altered your samurais. So, what Edmond is saying is: why buy samurais (expensive jeans) and chop them up, when you could buy denim and have your tailor construct them from scratch - saving your self money.

Do they stretch out a lot? Once again,referring to my Canes, I got them in 31 and now they fit perfect after stretching out.

Also, not trying to be a pain to anyone, but what's with the Zero denim?

I'm working a sam fit-guide right now:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=645511&postcount=30

They do stretch a lot...which is why you need to size down 1 (you could always get your true size if that scares you...whatevs). When you get them, they'll already be too tight...then once you hot wash them (make sure you do), they'll be even tighter, but will stretch out fairly quickly.

I don't understand the Zero denim question? Either way, its slubby-ish 17oz. denim, where the denim in the 0500 is 15oz. and even slubbier.