Samurai Denim

Guest The Diplomatic Aristocrat

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just got my first pair of sams a couple of days ago (S5000VX) and they have, by far, the nicest denim out of any pair of jeans I own. A quick question on sizing though. I decided to go with a size 30, since I have some RRDS that fit like a glove and are of the same size, but god damn are these sams tight. So tight that I can't even get the last two buttons up, unless I sling them up around my waist (I usually slouch my jeans around my hips) button them, and squish them down. My hips were bruised after I tried em on the first time. I got them one washed through BiG's service, so they have had the shrinking taken care of.

I know they are supposed to be tight when first worn and will stretch out eventually, as has been the experience with my other dry denim, but will these actually stretch out to the point where I'll be able to actually button them and wear them without some sort of circulation problem?

I know some people on here went with their same Nudie size as well and I guess I just want some reassurance that I'll actually be able to wear these without having to sell them and size up.

Don't worry about it...they stretch a lot. We've all been there. ;)

We're all sad to see the arcs & tabs go (well, most of us)...but lets keep the levi's bashing to the dedicated threads. :D

Very well. But I'm mostly just sick of the "oh no, the arcs and tabs are going away" thing. If arcs and tabs were a major deciding factor, I'd get Levi's. Better denim in better cuts is why I love my PBJs, my Iron Hearts, and why I fell in love with Samurai and Oni at BiG.

Though, to be honest, I've been seamripping pockets since my dark days of seven, paper denim, and earnest sewn.

Don't worry about it...they stretch a lot. We've all been there. ;)

I think someone here on some post said it best. If your Sams don't rape you post soak, you're screwed. If your SDAs rape you post soak, you're screwed. Sams stretch, and they stretch a lot.

I wear my RRDS same size as my Sams, W33.

What have I done? I got some 0500s from BiG in June and I love them, but they are just a size too big. They don't look bad, they just aren't optimal. Yesterday I had the opportunity to get the same 0500s size down (with arcs & tabs if it matters) for a good price and I went for it--rationalizing that I could sell the bigger pair. But just now, I looked at the bigger pair--I communed with them. They are just starting to break in, and I don't know how I can let them go. This is crazy. Anybody else have the same exact model of jeans in different sizes? I'm thinking I might keep the bigger pair in the drawer until I get fatter.

What have I done? I got some 0500s from BiG in June and I love them, but they are just a size too big. They don't look bad, they just aren't optimal. Yesterday I had the opportunity to get the same 0500s size down (with arcs & tabs if it matters) for a good price and I went for it--rationalizing that I could sell the bigger pair. But just now, I looked at the bigger pair--I communed with them. They are just starting to break in, and I don't know how I can let them go. This is crazy. Anybody else have the same exact model of jeans in different sizes? I'm thinking I might keep the bigger pair in the drawer until I get fatter.

You're neurotic.

Kidding...we all are. But seriously, you are.

Very well. But I'm mostly just sick of the "oh no, the arcs and tabs are going away" thing. If arcs and tabs were a major deciding factor, I'd get Levi's. Better denim in better cuts is why I love my PBJs, my Iron Hearts, and why I fell in love with Samurai and Oni at BiG.

Though, to be honest, I've been seamripping pockets since my dark days of seven, paper denim, and earnest sewn.

I'm sick of it too...that's why I think its best if its left out of this thread and left to the Levi's thread. ;) It's been beaten to death (by myself included).

haha....turtle

Zoom - what size did you get and what size is your waist?

I got a 34 and im around about a 36 wait....

I think im just going to give them a warm soak whilst in the tub with them as the fit is lovely.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but does soaking only shrink the jeans? or does it benefit the breaking in process?

I think im just going to give them a warm soak whilst in the tub with them as the fit is lovely.

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but does soaking only shrink the jeans? or does it benefit the breaking in process?

Sizing down 2 is a bit risky...but they're yours now, so just wash/soak them, let them shrink and endure the pain of stretching them back out again. They'll shrink a bit more with every wash, so there's no point in only partially shrinking them at first.

The benefit to the jeans shrinking now is so whatever fading they end up with doesn't end up in the wrong spot once they do shrink.

Washing and drying softens the jeans as well, but with Sammies I wouldn't worry about it TOO much. I washed/dried my shit a couple times aleady just for shrinking and the denim is still really stiff.