Evisu is still loved!

benzak

If you own a pair of Evisu's and take them into a Japanese Evisu shop, can you get gulls painted on them even if they didn't originally had any gulls? I'm considering getting mine done since I think it would look pretty sweet to have some fresh gulls with a well worn in pair.

But I don't know if they will since they're not Japanese Evisu's but from the European line..

Not much seems to be known about the No.0 denim, although it seems that they produce it on a whim and it's unsanforised, and the batch quality seems to vary from release to release - I've heard people mention the merits of one year's No.0 over another's, and so on.

The No.1 is a standard denim, and in my eyes it's the definitive Evisu denim, although No.2 denim is better quality than most other brands' in itself.

Never handled any Evis No.1 though, Ethan might be able to help out with that. The Evis denim that I've handled has been different for each jean, the LHT used for their early Leepros is beautiful denim, for example, and the RHT denims I've touched have differed from model to model...

That make any sense?

Ethan, for real, post at will your stories, pics and or insights into the history of your time at evisu. This is virtually the written archive (that i know of) of a brands history (evis and others of the like) in the english form. we have some great first hand documentation of the recent years models but not much first hand from the vintage and late vintage era. It just seems like such an exciting place to be a part of.

I will do, Marvelous. I spoke very little Japanese when I started working with Yamane - he came to the store once when I was there, told me that he was leaving for Europe and HK for two months, and that if I didn't speak passable Japanese when he got back, I'd be out on my ear. The guys I worked with gave me two months of intense Japanese immersion and I got mumble enough words to keep my job when he got back.

I got the job there after meeting Yamane in passing at he Hiroo Fishing store, and telling him that I was a tailor who loved his brand. He asked me to go have dinner with him, we got rip-roaring drunk, and I had the job. Was some of the hardest years of my life, but I learnt a lot and made some incredible friends I still see regularly some 8 years later.

desu

I thought it was 32,000 Yen compared to 31,500, or similar. Not much difference at all...

I was thinking something around 50,000 yen, I'm not sure though.

EDIT:

Yeah, they were 41,000 yen (for everything including shipping). Well, at least BLM4's pair was. That's crazy, you'd expect it to cost almost double. His original 48,000 yen price tage would have sounded more accurate.

http://www.superfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-176204-p-10.html

I've heard people mention the merits of one year's No.0 over another's, and so on.
Also, it seems the last batch shrunk more than No. 1 denim.

Hey guys, here's some pics of my euro No.1 Special Jacket. size xxxl...wasn't sure what size i wore when i bought it, but read they ran small and got it off the bay and this was the size available, it shrunk a lot, and will proly shrink more. the denim is really nice, same as the jeans i had before that I kick myself for getting rid of. BLM, if you want to let those go let me know...I'd take em back from ya.

_MJS4285.jpg

_MJS4293.jpg

lined pocket bags

_MJS4296.jpg

_MJS4294.jpg

_MJS4298.jpg

nice hardware

_MJS4299.jpg

_MJS4300.jpg

_MJS4301.jpg

EDIT:

Yeah, they were 41,000 yen (for everything including shipping). Well, at least BLM4's pair was. That's crazy, you'd expect it to cost almost double. His original 48,000 yen price tage would have sounded more accurate.

Yeah, the actual price before shipping was around the same as No.1...I didn't bother at the time, although I'd consider it now as I've given away the Brown Box Evisu and am selling the Lot 2004...gonna be a toss-up between some new 2001s (still my preferred standard Evisu cut) or hunting down a deadstock gem...

As for the shrinkage, didn't it turn out that the shrinkage was around 2.5 inches? If so, that's the same as expected No.1 shrinkage (2-3" in the waist)...I remember at the time that the shrinkage mean that they didn't fit him...

Oh shit, Ethan drinking with the man himself. Very nice.

Yea he said he got them for 33600, I think My No.1's were about 31000. I thought I read in a magazine that they use the No.0 for the Yamane Delux brand. Mind you it was in Japanese and I dont speak any Japanese but I got the feeling thats what they were saying from the engrish translation. I'll have to have another look sometime and ask the gf for a proper translation.

Yea he said he got them for 33600, I think My No.1's were about 31000. I thought I read in a magazine that they use the No.0 for the Yamane Delux brand. Mind you it was in Japanese and I dont speak any Japanese but I got the feeling thats what they were saying from the engrish translation. I'll have to have another look sometime and ask the gf for a proper translation.

I asked Evisu about this and they said that they weren't aware of the No.0 denim having been used for the Yamane Deluxe jeans - but bear in mind that I was asking about the Evis Yamane Deluxe that I picked up around 18 months ago, and not the Yamane Deluxe brand that is still available and uses a Wrangler-style 'W' back pocket stitch.

The mail from Evisu (International) stated that they weren't sure what denim was used on the Evis Yamane but that it was likely to have been an 'experimental' denim, or a one-off production. It's sanforised, in the case of my own pair at least, but I think that the 'modern' Yamane Deluxe is, too.

I'd be interested to know what the magazine says though, as there might be more to this, and it wouldn't hurt to know anyway :)

Just tried to find the original email but with no joy...

I'll try and find it again, I have 7 or 8 denim/evisu magazines that ive managed to collect here and there so i'll try and find the page I was talking about. They could have said that the denim from the Yamane Deluxe is quite hairy like the denim No.0 but i'll go back over them and have a read.

Well I found the snippit without a struggle, its from the Evisu Style Magazine 2005. Theres a photo of the back pockets of the No.0 on the right and No.1 on the left and theres an english translation under it.

"You can see the feel of the material of No.0 in the right. So many neps! Its used for YAMANE DELUXE and HAYAOKI. (It washes out so gooood!) says the boss. A leather patch of No.1 in the left."

So who knows, the english translation could be off or perhaps they dont use the denim for that line anymore. In the photo you can see how much hairier it is than the No.1's though, pretty crazy stuff.

From memory, the Yamadera jeans used to be the very small run limited pieces that Yamane did occasionally. The pairs I remember were like a No1 2001 jean, but the back panels and front panels were in two slightly different denims, making the back of the jean and the front look different. The Yamane Deluxe brand came well after I left.

I might call some friends and hear what they have to say....

desu

Random photo of a photo from the Evisya Tailor store in Daikanyama. Me and my teacher supreme, Murai. Now to be found in the Yokohama store.

P6293500.jpg

desu

As for the shrinkage, didn't it turn out that the shrinkage was around 2.5 inches? If so, that's the same as expected No.1 shrinkage (2-3" in the waist)...I remember at the time that the shrinkage mean that they didn't fit him...[

Actually, it seems they ran smaller in the waist, with a size 38 measuring 37 inches, and shrinking accordingly.

EDIT:

That 41,000 included proxy fees, EMS shipping (which was hefty) taxes, and an additional charge because I got a size above 36. As I recall the base price was around 33,000 yen. Shipping alone was like 6,000....