Went here for the exhibition.

IMG_1461.jpg

Was greeted by these

IMG_1465.jpg

and these

IMG_1471.jpg

Student tickets for the win!

IMG_1469.jpg

These were the pictures that everyone can take a picture of.

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

Me trying to be Russel

IMG_1505.jpg

These two were from me being sneaky. I melted when I saw these two in real life

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Thanks for watching!

IIIIINCOMING monster cross-post from the ROYxCone contest

Firstly, this has nothing to do with anything, but I pass by this truck frequently in Kampala and finally managed to snap a shot while Homegirl was driving

IMG_3135.jpg

So, first I want to show you all a unique day, before I headed out of town. Started out with a normal enough trip to the trading center

IMG_1813.jpg

like my satchel?

Strollin' through the chapatti and rolex vendors

IMG_1815.jpg

Popped in to the tailor. Man my hair's getting long!

IMG_1816.jpg

The tailor, Jane, is rad. She even helped me out in the changing room!

IMG_1819.jpg

All set, ROYxCone's back on

IMG_1822.jpg

Love this new red nailpolish of mine

Annoyingly, had to stop in the office for a hot second. I thought I was done with work??

the five flights of stairs make for a good workout at least

IMG_1823.jpg

On the way to the next destination

IMG_3147.JPG

Hmm... nothing too "unique" about this day I suppose

Passed by a site/sight that always makes me laugh: the headquarters of the National Resistance Movement - Museveni's party.

IMG_1826.jpg

I want that balloon.

But wait a second, something doesn't feel right about me and the ROYxCones this day...

FAKE-OUT GUEST FEATURE

IMG_1827.jpg

Would it be too bad a joke to say Homegirl wears the pants in the relationship? Well, at least she wears 'em well!

IMG_1832.jpg

Straight thuggin' at the Indian embassy, waiting to pick up our visas!

Ladyfades

IMG_1834.jpg

Passed by one of Kampala's many charming street-corner preachers.

IMG_1836.jpg

Been wanting to go to this little bar at the 9th hole of the Kampala golf course forever. It's perched in a funny little spot overlooking the golf course but also on two major roads in Kampala

IMG_1837.jpg

Unfortunately it was closed.

IMG_1838.jpg

Stopped by a gallery opening

IMG_1840.jpg

Most of the art in Uganda feels to me like an unfortuntae uncertainty about how to represent "African" themese and aesthetics without being trite, exploitative or kitschy. Most of the time it fails.

From there the night rapidly degraded... to slapbag at a friend's house.

IMG_1848_edited.JPG

Not having the ROYxCones helped my conjur up some slapbag-rage

IMG_1851.jpg

...but I was like Samson without his locks, while Homegirl prevailed with ROYxCone power!

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

And then the inevitable show-down happened.

IMG_1868.jpg

...suffice to say she proved she really does wear the pants. It was shameful.

And then something even more interesting happened. The host of this here shindig - who knew nothing of the significance of the jeans - told Natalie that he was having a hard time figuring out how to manage to tell her that she looked good in her shlumpy attire. This resulted in slapbag being forgotten in favor of your truly giving the long story of the ROYxCone jeans, contest and you all. Everyone was entertain, intrigued and impressed. Naturally, however, this resulted in a whole lot of "well but now I want to know what jeans that are supposedly so amazing feel like to wear!"

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

[he felt the need to improve for his sufu-debut]

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

Though the ROYxCones improved his dance skills, they didn't do much for his slap-bag skills

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

I feel a little bit dirty... like my ROYxCones have been passed around more than I'm sure Roy6 was at the dyke march.

But at least the night ended with a cupcake!

IMG_3194.JPG

[interjection: I'm posting this all as I sit on a bus that's just departing Kampala for the 12 hour trip to Nairobi. I love mobile internet! Though I'm nervous about bringing my computer to "Nairobbery"]

And now on to something completely different...

BODA-BODA POLO

IMG_3197.JPG

Unfortunately I apparently just missed the match in which members of the police post who own the field that was being used participated on a team

IMG_3198.JPG

The game!

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

It's going... it's going...

IMG_3268.JPG

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL

IMG_3271.JPG

Some of the audience (not really)

IMG_3221.JPG

It was pretty amusing but to be honest the entertainment value wore off after not too long. The organizers put together a pretty solid little event space (which I didn't upload pics of) - I was actually impressed. And all the registration fees and whatnot went to an organization working against human trafficking. I admit the premise was a bit uncomfortable to me - using local boda-boda men as substitutes for steeds, primarily "ridden" by young white ex-pats just doing it for a lark. I was happy to see that most of the bodas seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves and getting into the game, at least!

Afterwards, we headed off for a different sport

IMG_3292.JPG

Uganda vs. Madagascar, as part of a 3-game "tournament" between those two and Zimbabwe.

IMG_3299.JPG

Unfortunately the game didn't matter much, because it was the 3rd game and Zimbabwe had already won two... sooo off we went for the last event of the day (packed day!): quite a lovely concert with a shito ton of bands put on by Kampala's Allianz Francaise

IMG_3305.JPG

I didn't bother taking pictures of the artists, but therre were some good ones. A few of my favorites:

Qwela - pretty good, fun Ugandan-influenced jazz. They have one song that absolutely knocks my socks off but I unfortunately haven't managed to find the name!

Mista Poa - by far my favorite Congolese music I have heard. This young dude has the most beautiful, soulful, feeling voice I've heard in a while. Definitely worth a listen.

Lillian Mbabazi - Enjoyable, light, jazzy music. I particularly like

Thoroughly enjoyed past few pages, from Kayodic's Paris Capsule, to Paul's London show. Not forgetting a Hong Kong trip by forbidden and then a hot summer swim with Thinfinn and beatle, of cos, we even went hiking the mountains with Atzec and Max Power which we ended up cruising during work with Morse !!!

However, Dkatz definitely owns it all with his motorcycle polo game :)

I'm sorry if i can't rep, system's fault :D

Here's my lazing evening.

Finally got some time to rest after a hectic week....so dinner out at my favourite restaurant.

P7013962.jpg

Samurai shot while waiting for food.

P7013964.jpg

Fish soup starter

P7013967.jpg

Gigantic fish for the lady

P7013971.jpg

And Magret Canard for myself

P7013972.jpg

P7013979.jpg

P7013985.jpg

Style inspiration from this best dressed kid Ever! Freaking sharp!

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1315.jpg

Bad things happened to people:

DSCF1381.jpg

DSCF1382.jpg

DSCF1383.jpg

My grandpa used to do opium and it caused a lot of chaos in my father's life...

Indian convicts and they really look like RO models with those slouchy tees and drop crotch shorts:

DSCF1390.jpg

did not intend to launch these for the first time in winter, but they are finally (mostly) finished so we did

mine and his with my brothers fenn

launch1rj.jpg

his daughter in ye olde plastic one and the other one in his one

launch2.jpg

looking back up through the sun to my house

launch3.jpg

heading out of the salt and into the fresh

launch4.jpg

creepy birds

launch5.jpg

mine and his stopping to swap notes

launch6.jpg

all three

launch7.jpg

love these boat sheds that are down from my place

launch8.jpg

crappy cell phone pic of me in mine... with crap posture after 2 hours, we are re building the back rests as i have a bruised spine now cause they were too shallow

launch9.jpg

and what i wore... ROY boxers of course

launch10.jpg

more photos to come that his dad took of us wasting champagne on the hulls and things like that

@Vanquish, it has been years since i last visited the museum in Singapore. I have read that there are now many interesting historic materials in exhibit. Would really have to take some time and visit the next time I go back.

@TG, very interesting about how you build these canoe (or kayak, sorry about that) and tested them. Like the shot with Roy's boxer.

So, weekend walkabout in the city of Bordeaux.

Ice cream for tea-break

P7024013.jpg

Fish and Chips for dinner in a laid back Irish Pub.

P7024016.jpg

P7024017.jpg

Some food/wine fair event going on

P7024021.jpg

P7024027.jpg

Was focusing on the elderly's dance, but can't complain when she walked into the line :D

P7024035.jpg

P7024036.jpg

P7024038.jpg

Been listening to 60s rock music these days, so I dug out a Velvet Underground t-shirt and wore it for the heat today.

er....and no, I'm not plucking my goatie, just somehow, it seems like it from the pic!

P7024040.jpg

vanquish, great post. must spread.. a lot of those people in those pictures really actually look good if you think about it. i think these pictures will serve as great inspiration to developement of garments in future! some of them look really sharp as you mentioned indeed. great stuff.

james, great pictures. looks like you had a great weekend eh? making me feel hungry at 6.30am with no food on a weekend. terrible feeling to have. haha.

Too much work lately. I haven't been doing anything fun.

I finished my new entertainment console. I'm just waiting on some pulls and some stained glass. I used a basic stain, more to match my speakers and coffee table than the trim. The clearcoat is tung-oil/varnish blend. Sorry, I really didn't document this as well as some people had hoped. I do have some pics somewhere of the door parts as they were milled.

Rough area. Note the rotating wall mount to accommodate my previous-generation video game dorkiness.

rough.jpg

Where it is now. I'm listening to some music on a Sony SCPH-1001. The speakers aren't in the pic but they are solid teak DLK Model 2.

fin1.jpg

The stuff. I will be coating the shelves flat black as soon as I am comfortable with all the cable setups.

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

The nerd. I love being to able to play the vertical games on a screen bigger than 19"!!!

fin4dc.jpg

fin5dc.jpg

fin7dc.jpg