What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Today and for the 2 weeks previous. First breaking out the old base and then rebuilding this whole rainforest enclosure. Eventually, a group of Poison Dart Frogs will live in here. It has a running stream and it rains in there.

From this.

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

To this.

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

X post from Roy x Cone thread.

End of last week and beginning of this I wanted to get some work done around the house. And now my knees and knuckles are killing me but I think it was worth it.

I went over every inch, laboriously, of these floorboards, with cleaning fluid and steel wool…

floor1.jpg

These floorboards are mostly from the 1820s - I relaid them all when we moved in to our house, throwing out the worm-infested ones and replacing them with reclaimed boards sawn from Victorian beams, so it was a lot of work to try and match the two sets up. But it worked. The 'new' boards are at the front, the old ones behind. Finally, five minutes before we're due to go out, a last coat of varnish. Done!

floor3.jpg

We were headed for a launch of work by a friend of mine, Alan Baker. I first met him maybe 15 years ago when we commissioned an illustration from him for MOJO; around seven yeards ago he had a sale of art at his house, when we bought a lovely painting from him that we gave to my best mate as a wedding present. Now, he's big time…

busts1.jpg

The bronze busts are all cast from children we know (his kids are at the same school as the nipper). I love the image of these angelic girls and boys, warped by the masks that look sinister, with mythological resonance… his paintings also have very rude words scratched into them, which the nipper and his friends obviously lloved.

busts2.jpg

The opening was a massive success. It followed one in NYC last year, where his work was snapped up by Robert de Niro, Damien Hirst and others. Now there was a red dot on every single painting. Their prices were all around £60k. SO he's finally hit the big time - knowing this is someone who's been grafting at it, hard, for nearly two decades, this is fantastic.

There was a great selection of arty and media types, I spotted the editor of Marie Claiire, and others, and this cadaverous apparition: Ronnie Wood. It was great, that Ronnie added to the sense of event, and I restrained myself from shouting at him, "are you into art, Ronnie?" (His paintings are terrible.. and the guy himself is a bit of a wallie, not even a good guitarist these days.)

ronnie.jpg

Sadly, we can't afford his paintings any more! Luckily we do have two small ones, and today we blew some cash on a screenprint we couldn't really afford, just to participate. But you could also screenprint and take home a poster if you asked nicely. Which the nipper did.

screenprint.jpg

After elbowing Ronnie out of the way, we and the nipper were off into town, with the nipper's own signed artwork…

curtis.jpg

We were headed towards a restaurant by Carnaby Street, past these lovely old shopfronts.

riflemaker.jpg

door.jpg

When we arrived at the restaurant, my cellphone rang. By now I was pissed (in the englsih sense) and had, er, forgotten I was doing a phone interview with the NY POst about my book. I know I talked a right load of wank. oops. ah well, all in a good cause. THe meal was pretty good tho' mine was cold when I got back to the table.

food-1.jpg

We alked back to the train station via Leicester Square - where the Harry Potter premier was taking place.

leicestersquare.jpg

It was heaving, masses of kids, mostly European, around everyblock, including Great Newport Street, just behind the square.

greatnewport.jpg

We thought we'd have to be very lucky for the nipper to get to see any stars. We were! Out of the back door came Lord Voldemort himself! (Lady t is always the best person to be around on nights like this, she can spot fh most famous, or obscure, ENglish thespian at 200 yards).

Lord Voldemort - Ralph Fiennes - is on the left, turned away from us. I think the mrs has held a torch for him ever since Schindler's list, where he plays a nasty SS camp commandant. Girls love a nazi uniform…

voldemort.jpg

Voldemort being whisked away (back seat, far side). Why can't he just fly home? Faker!

voldemort2.jpg

^wearing the 660 while doing this? :)

Yes, for some of it and the 1878 'Loons for the rest. The 'Loons got filthy because they got the break down, which was the messy bit. So they got a second hot soak which got the last of the shrink done with.

The 660's got the last couple days of the rebuild and are very comfortable to work in. I am growing to really appreciate Warehouse, these are my second pair and I have feeling more could be on the way.

Yes, for some of it and the 1878 'Loons for the rest. The 'Loons got filthy because they got the break down, which was the messy bit. So they got a second hot soak which got the last of the shrink done with.

The 660's got the last couple days of the rebuild and are very comfortable to work in. I am growing to really appreciate Warehouse, these are my second pair and I have feeling more could be on the way.

really happy that these found a new home :)

fitpics in the WH-thread maybe?...

Finally received my N&F X momo, after countless bullshit from FedEx. The driver claimed there was no apartment # to deliver to,

the closest complex is 4 blocks away smh

5907320664_88c721557d_m.jpg

Had a goodbye BBQ, for a good friend of mine. He's headed back to Brazil

5917333085_b47ab57d9f_m.jpg

N&F elephants

5917894586_35a5029971_m.jpg

Sorry Guys! I loved Poland so much I can't seem to find just 6 pictures to sum up the whole trip. So I've split it up into 3 posts!

Here's the Salt Mines of Krakovv (Krakow), Poland.

130M below the surface. By stairs thats over a 2 hour descent.

IMG_1361.jpg

Wooden logs used to support the structure of the mine.

IMG_1375.jpg

The crystallized surface you see on the wall is actually salt. I licked it =P

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

Grand Ballroom with chandeliers made from Salt!

IMG_1423.jpg

Chapel used by the miners who lived in the mine with their families.

IMG_1466.jpg

This is a solemn collection of pictures taken at Auschwitz, Poland.

It's the largest concentration camp where most of the holocaust took place.

I saw grown men collapse from the horror of the atrocities.

The entrance "Arbeit Macht Frei" - Work towards your freedom.

IMG_1485.jpg

Cyclone B, the substance used in the gas chambers, metal canisters were dropped in with this deadly substance.

IMG_1512.jpg

All possessions were confiscated, as they entered the camp, there were many rooms like these filled with shoes, glasses, baskets, suitcases, etc.

IMG_1528.jpg

Living quarters.

IMG_1547.jpg

This unceremonious crematorium sits just outside the gas chamber, bodies are just shoved into the fire one after the other, and their ashes used as fertilizer.

IMG_1577.jpg

Birkenau, where prisoners arrive on trains and ushered into Auschwitz.

IMG_1583.jpg

birkenau was the women's half of the camp, not the atrium.

and it's zyklon, not cyclone.

maybe you need to reread the signs

If you'd like I could post up the pictures where the signs were displayed.

Birkenau was actually the holding area for all new prisoners fresh off the train till Auschwitz had room.

Zyklon for Germans, Cyclone for English, Cyklon for Polish.

I'm sure you're just trying to get the facts right. Good thing I took photos of everything including information. ;)

My final post on Krakovv (Krakow), Poland.

It really was a beautiful summer in Poland.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

This was one of the most ornate churches I've been in, and I've been in a lot! I was very skeptical they needed to charge people for photographing the interior.

IMG_1685.jpg

This is real thick hot chocolate! Czekolady is a must go!

IMG_1707.jpg

Watched this little guy play with the birds for a while, really adorable.

IMG_1712.jpg

This sorcerer was attracting a lot of attention

IMG_1717.jpg

My final post on Krakovv (Krakow), Poland.

It really was a beautiful summer in Poland.

This sorcerer was attracting a lot of attention

IMG_1717.jpg

Holy shit is he holding himself up with just that cane/stick??

sorry no pics of me :(

but i went to the river today with some friends and some friend's dogs. dipped my STF 501s in for a while and stayed cool while enjoying some cheep (but ice cold) beer..

5919865059_4a8dbe07c3_z.jpg

saw some tiny duck babies - excuse shitty digital zoomed-in cell phone quality pics

5919863615_a723190fb9_z.jpg

lacey was being a menace and kept flinging dirt everywhere. dont have a picture of fabio, my friends mostly-wolf dog.. who's also afraid of the water. lol

5919862311_d53b862b2f_z.jpg

5920421924_af8b83a859_z.jpg

now to go drink more beer and go to a local metal show. sounds like a plan..

I always forget to cross post from the RoyxCone thread, so here you go:

I spent the past two days exploring Little Cottonwood Canyon outside of Salt Lake City with my class. We started at the mouth of the canyon, learning about the geologic features. The steep-walled U-shaped canyon is indicative of the glacial history during the last ice age. At that time, much of northern Utah was covered by an enormous freshwater lake called Lake Bonneville. The glacier from the canyon reached the lake and would calve icebergs into it. The large boulders on the sides of the canyon were deposited by the glacier. You might not be able to tell from the photo, but the house in the foreground is sitting right on top of a fault in the Earth. The spot where I am standing is continually dropping, and the mountains are continually rising. We're overdue for a large earthquake...

WaGv0.jpg

We made our way up the canyon to Alta Ski Resort, where we were going to learn about the montane plant communities. On the second day, my van died half way up the canyon, and the other van blew its water pump at the top! Amazingly, it didn't hamper our hikes, and both vans were replaced by the end of the day.

Alta is well known in Utah for receiving tons of snow each winter- on average 500 inches! They stopped counting in May of this year when they hit around 700 inches. Despite being early July, there was plenty of snow still hanging around!

Q7gXp.jpg

Roys on snow!

ppPKK.jpg

We had to be careful traversing the snow, because there were streams flowing beneath it. What a rude awakening to fall through the snow and land in an icy stream!

lp2BH.jpg

I tried to talk them into loaning me a snowcat since both of our vans were dead. No luck.

uRk08.jpg

Plants were just starting to poke through the soil in the sunnier spots.

UHjG8.jpg

And the tiger swallowtails had stopped for a drink.

YIMqo.jpg

The 'pistol-butted trunks' (curved downhill at the base) of the aspen trees were due to the heavy snow load in winter.

ERL3y.jpg

The large basin just below the ridge is called Albion Basin. In the summer, it's a mecca for wildflower viewing. We were supposed to go there next week, but everything is still under snow! The bowl-shaped form is called a cirque, which is where the glacier formed and began carving downhill due to the sheer weight of the ice.

yCPGf.jpg

Despite the vehicle mishaps and my not getting any sleep one of the nights, everyone had a fantastic time. Not a bad classroom to work in, eh?

lh3Lv.jpg

Today is my last day in Utah. I've spent the last week in Utah near Oakley/Kamas.

Breakfast at the Road island Diner

WP_000347.jpg

Can't really tell but that is a huge moose and her calf in the backyard.

DSCN0201.jpg

Awesome Vista

DSCN1194.jpg

Next time I'm out here we'll have to have a Utah SUFU meetup!

Pics from a my daughter and myselfs' visit to Carrickfergus castle , about seven miles from Belfast . Not as exotic as soem of the pics above but we enjoyed it . The original castle was buit around 1180 and has a very violent history which is interesting , as well as featuring recently on " Most Haunted" . Lots of , mainly US , tourists enjoying the local culture . Had a nice lunch locally but too much meat and a glass of red wine slowed me down for a while !

015.jpg

001-24.jpg

011.jpg

007-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

Some more pics , this time taken by my daughter .

castle entrance

IMAG1154.jpg

me acting the fool , as usual

l IMAG1153.jpg

the marina , overlooking Belfast Lough .

IMAG1149.jpg

the obligatory food shot , rbs , goujons , kebabs , ptoatoes , garlic bread mmm..

IMAG1157.jpg

Massive deluge forthcoming...

To celebrate our new freedom (some people call it "unemployment"), Homegirl and I decided on a five day camping adventure in the Crater lakes region of Southwestern Uganda

Picture%252520515.jpg

Traffic

IMG_1875.jpg

Shipping

IMG_1876.jpg

Public transportation

IMG_1882.jpg

In Fort Portal, the main town in this region. I like this map.

IMG_1883.jpg

Rented incredibly janky bikes to head out to Ambeere caves. In hindsight it was a less-scenic ride than I'd hoped for

IMG_1884.jpg

All sorts of fun roads

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_3309.JPG

The caves are on a guy's private property, as is this gorgeous guesthouse

IMG_3394.JPG