What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

Its been a while!

So as some of you may not remember, I currently work with a astronomical research group at the University of Utah. We work with a .8 meter telescope in Southern Utah.

Where in Southern Utah is the telescope? I used to live in Page, AZ and used to drive about an hour north into Utah to check out the stars at night. One of the benefits of living in the middle of nowhere is you can REALLY see the stars.

It's been fairly quiet here. Lot's of work, plus we had a few weeks of rain, which had us going stir-crazy cooped up inside . But summer's here finally - some slices of life from the last little while..

Everything is green & blooming

255bc62c.jpg

4c9ee3b1.jpg

Pups finally getting out to play

a4647df7.jpg

e7117a8e.jpg

Staying cool :)

dc6d4d22.jpg

Checked out an antique car meet - 2 favourites

943b4933.jpg

187076c2.jpg

Took some hikes downtown

b3e02b9a.jpg

32dfbbcd.jpg

0a258ca2.jpg

The view looking east

30d4e972.jpg

Had an amazing dinner with friends

d7564b40.jpg

54fcf90e.jpg

Learned some new stuff

0e0c1569.jpg

And of course, the denim

cab97da1.jpg

Parting shot - one of my favourite local billboards!

6288ef2e.jpg

great to see your back graytrain.

morse - looks like a pleace to find your inner-peace and all...lovely!

great pics there Z and riff...that hdr shot of the car looks mighty fine!

any info on "Learned some new stuff" in the photo thread maybe? :)

Thank you all for the kind words.

Where in Southern Utah is the telescope? I used to live in Page, AZ and used to drive about an hour north into Utah to check out the stars at night. One of the benefits of living in the middle of nowhere is you can REALLY see the stars.

Its on frisco peak in Milford UT. Out there, there is little impeding your sight of the stars.

Today my ROYxCones are having a big day, friends. After 20.5 months, today is my last day of work! This is what i look like today:

IMG_1798.jpg

I have learned an absolutely insane amount through the course of this job, but I'll be honest: the work and my life here has been one of the roughest experiences of my life, and I'm ready for it to be done. I'm proud of myself for having made it through and having accomplished what I did - there were not a few times where I was toeing the line of saying "fuck this" and walking away. But - whether I call it "stubbornness" or "perseverance" - I made it through, and I'm stronger for it. I genuinely feel that, having made it through this, I can do absofuckinglutely anything.

So. What's next? Well, first thing will be to drink the delicious Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA I have been saving for this occasion since returning in January, promptly at the stroke of 5:00pm, GMT+3 (raise a toast to me then, eh?). Then... probably a lot more beers tonight. And then, the next adventure begins!

I'll be spending the next bumming around here - visiting a couple places in Uganda I've still not been, visiting a friend in Nairobi and checking out Kigali.

Next, it's off to India for six weeks with Homegirl. Woo!

On my way "home", I'll be taking an extended layover in Instanbul and popping up to Germany to have a couple weeks' holiday with my brother, who will be flying in to join me there.

After Germany... well I might as well spend a few days wandering around Istanbul, eh?

And, finally, homeward bound in late September... and restarting the job hunt.

I'll try to keep you all updated as I gallivant around, but not having office internet, nor having my mobile internet subsidized by work, will significantly reduce my internet-time. I hope you all can forgive my occasional absences!

Cheers from Uganda!