Durrty Dozen +2 offical threak

cheapmuthafukr

that was lovely man

thanks

must visit hamburg someday

let's all meet up in the year 2025

by the fountain down the road

cheers,i will be there.

not to spoil anything,latest news is they are in Pauls hands now.

what a bummer that i have to leave this fast working computer at my friends house here in Flensburg.not even sure if i am able to go online til sunday...

see you all than,bye.

should be already there.last info from Paul was that its at his local postoffice,they just have to find it.reckon UK mail is as crap as ours.

Ta-da!

They spent a couple days in Charlton, South London, home of a remarkably unsuccessful football team which we support. I got cards for several delivieries when I arrived from vacation. But when I arrived at the post depot, conveniently far from our house...

PostOffice.jpg

One was missing!

They promised to investigate and phone me. OF course, they didn't, so I turned up the next day. After about a 15 minute wait - with those behind me in the line proving surprisingly understanding - a different, more persistent, worker emerged with the box.

Hooray!

Theboxwithoutaddress.jpg

Mmm.... money....

contents.jpg

Hang on, I'm the only denim addict in this family!

nipper.jpg

Even after all that beer, turns out almostnice's waist measurement must be the same as mine!

likeaglovemate.jpg

We have a few family hassles here, but now I've opened the box I'll try and look out a pretty backdrop for tomorrow....

Amen to that....must be a European thing

weve had 3 parcels from munster to nz go mia in the last month, makes me sad cause i know they had food in them

post offices of the world, SHARPEN UP

edit... YAY,,, the show goes on

Hi Markus, I wasn't until the next morning I found the skull...

Freelance lunch

I used to dream about freelance lunches - meeting up with a mate for a drink or a long walk. Now I can do it. So on Wednesday I met up with my mate Carl, a designer lives up the hill for a wander.

walk1.jpg

First we headed thru the market. A few of my fave stalls aren't there, due to the summer I guess.

walk2.jpg

I was checking over this stall quickly when I heard the most bizarre conversation. The dude in front is talking about plastic Timpo knights in armour - you can just see them on the stall - and informing the stall holder that the version of the knights with a green helmet is very rare and worth appriximately $45. I was scared that someone should know this and walked to the next stall.

walk3.jpg

THis little old ladt walks the Thames foreshore finding old bottles, pipes and victoriain medicine containers. She had a shop just down the road, didn't keep up with the rent, and was evicted - the bailiffs took her lifetime's collection of old stuff. But I was pleased to see she's amassed far more, all over again...

Now, this wan't a boozy freelance lunch. Nor was it a flash one. It was a student lunch - Carl bought some vegetable bakje thing and I bought a £1.80 tuna sandwich. But if the food was budget, the venue wasn't:

walk4.jpg

This old Naval Hospital has been converted to a university and music college. So oftentimes we sneak in, pretending we have a right to be there, to get the cheap food and coffee.

It's quiet today cos most students are on vacation. The cafe is in the basement of the building, it's plain, but still with impressive fireplaces from the early 1700s.. walk5.jpgwalk7.jpg

The basement we were sitting is underneath this chapel; this was fitted out a few years later, in the 1760s I think, and is architedturally significant - the first greek revival building in Northern Europe, made by James Athenian Stuart, who was one of the first people to sketch the ruins of athens. Everytime you see a wedgewood style plate, or a grecian-style cameo, it all started here. walk6.jpg

Looking out from the basement exit to the rest of the complex. ON a ferry during the vacation the nipper and I watched the Guy Ritche Sherlock Holmes move - this complex was used for maybe a dozen setups, nearty all of the extermal shoots. A few months ago Carl and I were there when Jack Black was shooting the Gullivers Travels movie here, too.

walk8.jpg

Then a walk down the river. This little slipway was used for getting smaller boats onto the Thames - it still spills sand onto the walkway at high tide...

walk9.jpg

Bit by bit they're modernising this area but there's still lots of the great buildings that I remember when I moved here 20 years ago.

walk10.jpg

This is an alms house, for retired gentlefolk, built in 1616. Behind is a huge powerstation built around 1905, which powers the tube network. We had a look inside the powerstation once - amazing turbines and cast iron walkways, Accoring to the night watchman, you cna hear ghostly figures' footsteps on the walkwatys on certain, spooky nights.

Normally the front entrance of the almsouse is closed - today it was open, so you can see the Tudor-style courtyard garden inside.

walk11.jpg

A little further down is the huge industrial jetty that serves the power station. They don't use it any more. I hope they keep it and turn it into something cool, like a gallery or (affordable) café...

walk12.jpg

And another of my favorite streets. I used to stop and chat with the owner of this Volvo, cos I used to own one. I haven't seen him recently, I need to tell him off for letting the rear arches reach such a poor state.

walk13.jpg

This area fo the thames is supposed to be permanently open to the public. But developers are moving in bit by bit. Now they say the walkway is being 'improved'. For which read, closed.

walk14.jpg

After skirting thru a crapp new development we were back, onto one of the last real working stretches of the river in this area.

walk16.jpg

Thru a little doorway in the fence you can see on of the last shipyards; they still restore or cut up vessels here - last year I saw a three mast sailing ship being restored here.

walk18.jpg

Remnants of some old fire in the dockyard.

walk17.jpg

They use a huge rusty old barge, or boat, as a dry dock.

walk19.jpg

For years, this area was dominated by four huge silos which stored grain, I think for brewing. Until recently there was also a huge sugar processing plant; that went a year or so back, now they're demolishing the grain silos... you can just see the remains..

walk22.jpg

walk21.jpg

This wharf was restored for the millennium - huge numbers of settlers went out to New York from here. Then it was used by the world's leading manufacturer of submarine cabling - I suspect the first telegraph cables fom rthe US to the US were sent out from this point. A couple of weeks ago they announced they are planning to rebuild this wharf to host luxury cruise liners.

If you look down, you can see this wharf and behind it the power station - not too different from Battersea Power station, te one featured on Pink Floyud album sleeve- then the college behind. Further up the river is deptford, another old place famous for its shipyards, old streets, market, and violence (this was where the playwright Christoper Marlow was stabbed in the eye during a tavern brawl, supposedly in an argument over who paid the bill).

walk24.jpg

I asked Carl to photograph me in the jeans. For a good photograpehr he did a lousy job... I love them, the detailing and fit is perfect. But when I started telling him about them, he started looking a bit scared, a bit like I felt when I heard the dude start wibbling on about 1960s plastic toy knights with green helmets...

walk23.jpg

what a grand start Paul!amazing what what one can learn from posts.

but it looks like you didnt search every single pocket...speaking of cicadas...

and sorry for posting into your part,but i just digged out this one from my start,which would have been the perfect change-over to your leg.little late but i wasnt able to post pics the last days:

4734190796_6019635d1a_z.jpg

EDIT:no rudeness intended,i swear!

OK, I'll search some more photos.

Sunday. Some of the usual places. Starting with this one. Rained thoroughout the night, and in the morning I spent 15 minutes trying to get this fucker started. No luck.

DD1.jpg

Commercial Road: one of London's oldest streets. A doomed building.

DD2.jpg

We arrived near Brick Lane, walking past the old tube station. Two years ago this was all Victorian neatness and flower baskets.

DD4.jpg

But new life has sprouted: shoe trees

DD5.jpg

DD6.jpg

The nipper and I are obviosuly friends of the rich and famous. This is Gilbert, of Gilbert and Geroge, who smiled benevolently as he passed us.

DD.jpg

Beigel-making

DD7.jpg

Old cars, kids' gas masks, all at bargain prices.

DD8.jpg

OK, I'll search some more photos.

Sunday. Some of the usual places. Starting with this one. Rained thoroughout the night, and in the morning I spent 15 minutes trying to get this fucker started. No luck.

DD1.jpg

Commercial Road: one of London's oldest streets. A doomed building.

DD2.jpg

We arrived near Brick Lane, walking past the old tube station. Two years ago this was all Victorian neatness and flower baskets.

DD4.jpg

But new life has sprouted: shoe trees

DD5.jpg

DD6.jpg

The nipper and I are obviosuly friends of the rich and famous. This is Gilbert, of Gilbert and Geroge, who smiled benevolently as he passed us.

DD.jpg

Beigel-making

DD7.jpg

Old cars, kids' gas masks, all at bargain prices.

DD8.jpg

A short walk over to the flower market at COumbia Road. I've posted these places on the payjdt thread, but let's face it, I can never get enough photos of shots selling 70s-style sweets, or shops with girls in slightly S&M 50s outfits...

DD18.jpg

DD19.jpg

This guy is from Billingsgate Fish market. THey are protesting against being moved out of the city. Check out that leather hat, looks like it dates from the 1600s or 1700s...

DD20.jpg

Down the street to Present for a coffee, we found out world champion bnarista had disappeared on one of his hysterious jaunts. But we found Christophe there (and a bunch of Heritage research Parkas on sale, well worht checking out).

DD21.jpg

I did take several photos of myself. But we had a rough weekend, in the light I looked even gnarlier and more knackered than almostnice. I sank into a temproary depression, but cheered up when I got an email telling me a payment, that I've been waiting for for several months, ius finally headed to my account.

Throughout those months, C has been asking me, "daddy, when you finally get some money, can we go to a restaurant and I can buy all the sushi I want without you complaining about the price?"

So... happiness awaited.

DD22.jpg