Durrty Dozen +2 offical threak

cheapmuthafukr

A short walk over to the flower market at COumbia Road. I've posted these places on the payjdt thread, but let's face it, I can never get enough photos of shots selling 70s-style sweets, or shops with girls in slightly S&M 50s outfits...

DD18.jpg

DD19.jpg

This guy is from Billingsgate Fish market. THey are protesting against being moved out of the city. Check out that leather hat, looks like it dates from the 1600s or 1700s...

DD20.jpg

Down the street to Present for a coffee, we found out world champion bnarista had disappeared on one of his hysterious jaunts. But we found Christophe there (and a bunch of Heritage research Parkas on sale, well worht checking out).

DD21.jpg

I did take several photos of myself. But we had a rough weekend, in the light I looked even gnarlier and more knackered than almostnice. I sank into a temproary depression, but cheered up when I got an email telling me a payment, that I've been waiting for for several months, ius finally headed to my account.

Throughout those months, C has been asking me, "daddy, when you finally get some money, can we go to a restaurant and I can buy all the sushi I want without you complaining about the price?"

So... happiness awaited.

DD22.jpg

great post paul. that knackered almostnice seems to have been MIA for a while. probably learning to give head in the "head over knees" position and passing that knowledge off to pomata. ha. sushi is always great and makes things better! goodness and i love the little pink outfits the girls are in. yum. i meant yum to the sushi.

great post paul. that knackered almostnice seems to have been MIA for a while. probably learning to give head in the "head over knees" position and passing that knowledge off to pomata. ha. sushi is always great and makes things better! goodness and i love the little pink outfits the girls are in. yum. i meant yum to the sushi.

lovely pics...how do you like the jawns ?

I love them.

It's so hard to find a genuinely inventive new take on denim. Christophe has done it. It has a perfect mix of old stylistic cues, to give it a kind of gravity, and quirky new ones.

The denim is fascinating, too - the unworn areas look astonishing, I love the kind of black and blue striping you get, as you'd find on realy cheap workwear and chinos, or the levi's 333, in the 1920s and 30s. I'd love to see something similar in the Edo Ai fabric, which seems slightly more flamed IIRC. It does seem to me these are made to wear in quite quickly, with lots of slubbiness, which is not what I normally go for, so that makes a nice change, too.

It's also a pretty flattering cut, I thought you'd need to be rail thin like Cotton to get away with this style, but no...

In Bilbao a couple of weeks ago we checked out the most beautiful new building on spain's northern coast.

flood7.jpg

SO this morning, on the way back fro Woolwich, a couple miles down the river from me - an old part of London, long used for shipbuilding and also England's largest arsenal and military complex - we checked out one of my favourite local structures, designed 20 years ago, in the same vein: the world's biggest flood barrier.

flood2.jpg

Flood1.jpg

The massive sturctures are made of concrete, covered in aluminum panels just like the Guggenheim, shaped like upended boats. The barrier has huge sections, like rotating blades, that sit on the river bed but can be raised in case of flooding. In this photo, the section has been raised up to the top. Behind you can see the Docklands area.

flood3.jpg

It was built around 1983, lots of brutalist concrete and tiled passageways...

flood4.jpg

flood5.jpg

ON the opposite side of the river: a local airport, huge scrap yard and Tate and Lyle; still, supposedly, the biggest sugar refinery in the world.

flood6.jpg

I didn't mention this to the nipper; he'd have swum across the river and staged a break-in...

oh yes,jeans looking great.at this point i would say "I MISS THEM SO MUCH!",that is if i wouldnt wear another pair already- today the one i bought of sea bass arrived.and i noticed why the sidestraps on the DD+2 hardly work:they are looped backwards.this is how they usually are:

4926693729_df3da96f9f_z.jpg

it really doesnt matter,esp. if you wear a belt,just a little detail i noticed.

did you try to cuff,Paul? should go pretty well with your boots.

We went to see family in Surrey, the other side of London.

AS it got to the afternoon, we heard a lot of noise overhead. When we arrived, I saw the g/f's brother, RIchard, standing on the roof of his cool-looking 60s one-storey house. I climbed up the ladder and saw this plane, the Vulcan.

This was the archetypal Briish -V bomber - a nuclear bomber, designed to fly into Russia at low altitude and deliver a stand-off nuclear bomb. They are amazing, huge beasts, all of which were decomissioned maybe a decade ago. But a bunch of aircraft engineers and enthusiasts managed to get this one flying again. Even at a distance, you can tell what a huge, dangerous looking beast it is.

Vulcan.jpg

We drove a couple of miles further over to see my mum-in-law. It turns out that the Vulcan was taking part in an airshow, and all the planes were flying right over her home. It's set in beautiful countryside.

Countryside.jpg

Maybe half an hour after we arrived, the silence was broken by more deafening roars. These were the Red Arrows - the RAF's aerboatic team.

Bestredarrows.jpg

They shot past us at various distances. Several times, single planes broke from formation and shot straight over the house.

RedArrows1.jpg

RedArrows2.jpg

THe most stunning view was when they broke out of the sun - from this direction you'd see them first, and the sound would only hit you a few seconds later. THe sun would glint off them directly, like a high-tech ballet. Beautiful.

Bestsingleplane.jpg

Really great shots, Paul.

I always flub intense action shots like those. What kind of lens were you using, and what setting (if it wasn't on manual).

Wow, thanks Roy! I use a GF1 with the 20mm lens, setting it on manual to infinity focus. WHich is really difficult. I have a fantastic 50/1.4 Nikon lens I'd love to stick on the camera but the adapters are too pricey.

...my first day in an office for a while.

Even when I was a commuter every day, I'd always love this train ride, with the city laid out in front of me.

Train.jpg

From the station it was a short walk, which I took along with river, with the Tate Modern - an old power station converted, brilliantly, into a gallery for modern art - and the millennium walkway bridge.

bytheriver.jpg

Once you're by the bridge you get views of St Pauls thru the houses.

Stpauls.jpg

Elsewhere it's shiny new office blocks.

pants.jpg

I still have problesm with the cinch on these pants but maybe I should have tried adjusting them at home, not on the train, I got some strange looks. Which let's face it isn't uncommon.

And this was the office. Swanky, eh?

Unilever.jpg

It's the Unilever building, I guess 1930s, built by the huge company who I guess started out making washing powder. They still occupy most of the building - my publishers lease a couple of floors.

And inside I was greeted by croissants, coffees and a huge legal report.

My next book, all being well, will be out in the spring. THis was the libel read, which is done by their in-house lawyer. That pile of papers is the manuscript. The Post It notes are the legal queries. On the right is a legel report - 11,000 words long. This book is now notorious within the company, as it's the longest legal report their lawyer has done in 25 years!

mindfuck.jpg

They told me it normally it takes a morning to go thru the queries. We started at 10am. Finished most of it at 9.40 at night. Still with several issues and queries to clear. But 95 per cent done. And that bit nearer to getting my final check, hoorah.

When we emerged from our floor the place was deserted. (So was the city, even the train station had closed when I reached it). This is their interior, complete with yer compulsory piece of public art.

trumpets.jpg

From thereon, the night was all alcoholic oblivion. Most welcome.

And in the morning, another welcome work of literature...

P1060650.jpgP1060651.jpg

We went up north for the weekend to yorkshire, where I grew up.

THis town is called Beverley, in the east of the county. It's a small, compact old place, dominated by two huge churches. The biggest is the minster.

This place was built by the Normans I guess, maybe starting around 1100. Building continued over the next 500 years. THe finishing touches were added by Nicholas Hawksmoor, who worked for many years in greenwich, london, where I live now. He restored these twin towers, which were leaning out of true, and used them as a model when he finished Westminster abbey, whose towers are based on these.

BMinster.jpg

I kind of hated this place in my late teens. Now I can appreciate it... check out this passageway...

Apubpassageway.jpg

Stone floors leading to an ancient pub. There are lots of old pubs here.

Now, I know for a fact that as kid I went round with my first real girlfriend, who lives here, and we drank in every one of these pubs in one night. But I can't remember that night.

pub1-1.jpg

When I went to yorkshire this weekend, I heard that girlfriend had quit her job, sold her house, and is using that money to go travelling. Good luck, babes...

This is a plce you would need to escape if you've lived most of your life here. But again, when I visit places like this old harware shop, with the little office for account holders.. I think it's cool. But only to visit.

hardware.jpg

This market cross is tradiotnally where the townsfolk would conduct their business. I guess it dates from 1700 or so. This day was a market, lots of faces you could imagine seeing here 300 years ago

Markeysquare.jpg

When I was a student I lived in another town down the way - Hull - and I had a satruday job in this shop. It's stlll one of the best places to buy a violin in the north of England...

violins.jpg

Prices range from £600 to £3,000 and more. Lots of money, but these are beautiful objects. Makes me wish I could play violin. Check out this birds' eye maple

birdseyemaple.jpg

I was especially lucky to work here, because down the road is one of the best pubs in the North - the White Horse, or Nelly's. Dates from the 1700s, and it pretty much untouched today. A hangout for everyone - folkies, rockers, old farts, goths...

whitehorseinn1.jpg

Beer is ridiculously cheap. The place is still lit by gas.

gaslight.jpg

We'd been to a family wedding the previous night. I had a hangover so I was only drinking in the name of research.

This was the view form where we were sitting

nellysinterior2.jpg

And a few more...

nellysinterior3.jpg

nellysinterior4.jpg

On the way back from up North we stopped off at a 70th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of Britain. I added some to wayjdt, and thought I'd post just a couple of highlights here.

These are the aerostars - a bunch fo guys who fly 1970s Soviet Yak 50s. Solid, cheap, beautiful planes.

aerostars.jpg

Towards the end of the show, there were 16 Spitfires in the air, which was filled with the evocative sound of Merlin engines. As they took off, a modern RAF squadron, 16, swooped past to pay tribute. This plane is in Polish colours, to mark the nation who supplied the most pilots in the battle, after the Brits.

Later Squadron 16 flew over again, in a missing man formation, as one plane pulls out to commemorate those who never came back.

spitand16squadron.jpg