edc [everyday carry] shaved my wife

branespload

On Nov. 14th this was posted on Planet Pocket Tool.

Guys,

Atwood Business Card or ABC. Exactly the same size as a business card, made of 420 stainless (cannot get thin S30v), 21 wrench functions total, all the metric sizes from 5-16mm, 6 SAE sizes plus a few others and a bottle opener. Ruler across the top on both sides, American and metric. They are tumbling right now and I'm going to try to get them done in around 3 weeks or so.

Don't sleep!!!

anyone has a picture of the atwood business card? i looked on the website but can't find it. i'm sure i won't get it but i'd like to see it.

I get the feeling this is the first time he's made them. I can't find any info on them whatsoever.

This was posted today @ Planet Pocket Tool:

Lots of stuff in the works.

I'll be finishing up the next batch of BigShots today. These have a heavy diamond knurl on them. They look and feel terrific. A portion of the batch are SlotShots and feature 3 milled slots in the top knurling ring that are sized to accept 1.5 x 5mm self lighting gas tubes. I will not be filling these slots but users can obtain their own tubes if desired and epoxy them in. There are sources on Candlepowerforums for the tubes.

Yesterday I sent out the Metric Atwrenches to be heat treated. We should see those completed around the end of next week.

The Atwood Business Cards are coming along well and should be ready to send to the laser engravers by the end of this week for the rulers to be applied. I'm not sure what the turn around time will be on those but hopefully it is about one week.

I have another SUSale coming in a day or two as well.

Can you tell what the weather is like here today? :(

well, I can't believe that sufu has convinced me that I *need* an LED flashlight, but after carrying around a cheapo $5 one that my friend gave to me a couple days ago, I decided I am interested in a Quark AA tactical (I like the programming capability and low-power moonlight mode)

is it worth the money, or should I get something else that's comparable, or should I wait for something that's about to be released that I have no clue about? thanks

All I see is:

IMG_0739-1.jpg

well, I can't believe that sufu has convinced me that I *need* an LED flashlight, but after carrying around a cheapo $5 one that my friend gave to me a couple days ago, I decided I am interested in a Quark AA tactical (I like the programming capability and low-power moonlight mode)

is it worth the money, or should I get something else that's comparable, or should I wait for something that's about to be released that I have no clue about? thanks

Quark AA tactical is a great light. You can get the older LED models on sale too at 4sevens. One thing to consider tho, is why stick to AA? I find that the 123 cell gives the best output/size. If you go the AA route and buy some eneloops and a charger its about the same price as getting an AW RCR123 and a nano charger from the 4sevens battery section.

With that said tho, the Quark line is solid and innovative. Remember tho, that with the Tactical you can only have 2 modes available at any time. Accessing any modes other than the ones you set would require a few seconds and flashes to program it over again. Again, the moonlight mode is still a very usable amount of brightness in low light, and the max setting will be impressively bright especially if you've never owned a high powered LED light before.

regarding any new releases, 4sevens is waiting to release a product (could be a light) at the end of this calendar year (date set to be 12/31). They will also introduce more lights but I don't think they'll replace the quark or mini/preon as EDC options.

hope that helps

+rep, thanks for the quality response dawg

My main factor in choosing AA was fear of expensive 123's, but I never even considered the rechargeable route. I think I'm gonna go with the Quark 123 since it's even smaller than the AA version.

I was leaning towards the Tactical because I wouldn't have to cycle through all the different modes each time I shut off the light.

HOWEVER, If I'm understanding the description correctly, the Regular automatically selects Moonlight or Max output (depending on whether the head is loose or tight) when it's turned on... if that's the case, then it would suit my needs perfectly, and I wouldn't have to deal with a cumbersome programmable UI to switch to the other outputs... please tell me this is true!

^yep, that's how the regular UI works. With the head tightened, when you click it on (you have to fully click it down for it to stay on, this is how it varies from the tactical version, which has a protruding button (you cannot stand the light on its tail to point upward like a candle) and requires only a soft press to momentarily activate it [momentary on]) the light comes on in maximum output. with the head tightened still, soft press the button to turn it off momentarily, then let go and when it turns back on it will advance to the next mode, which is strobe.

the same can be said for the light with the head loosened -- turn on and it comes on initially in moonmode (0.2-0.3 lumens) which is like the dimness of a cellphone light but in a much more usable beam that can reach across the room. soft press the cap again then release to bump to the next brightest, and repeat. if you turn the light off and wait for 3 seconds from any mode, turning it back on will reset to the first mode (either max or low depending on the tightness of the head)

i should also note that the 123 battery configuration, when using Li-Ion rechargables has a higher maximum output because of the increased voltage from li-ion chemistry. keep in mind that these rcr123s are not intended for use in all 123 compatible flashlights -- do so only if the light says it can take a maximum voltage of around 4.8V. if it says strictly 3.0V, the light can't take the rechargable.

quark 123 buddies :]

Why, just out of curiosity?

both jon and i have experienced issues with the spring overcompressing, resulting in loss of low mode

why this happens we don't know.. but we don't care enough to look into it. CR2s are expensive, not rechargable, and so small that it's hard to grip properly.

4sevens Mini123 will be replacing my nitecore. sorry nitecore broz

EDIT: also keep in mind im sure some of those atwoods are Titanium, which would make the cost even more ridic..

yeah you lose so much functionality of a pry tool when you use titanium

makes no sense; sure the tool will be lighter, but less durable

wish JDR would not use titanium so much

the G3 prybaby tool is awesome though

after carrying it for a bit i find so many uses for it

and it works great as a wrench

Hey EDCers,

This is a friendly request for all of us to get off our asses and post some reviews, pics, and videos of the latest gear we got. Hopefully with enough participation, we can pool our individual knowledge and make this thread more useful for newcomers to EDC and even newcomers to superfuture.

I volunteer myself to lead by example, I will post some reviews and an EDC update video by sometime tomorrow. Please, everyone feel free to share your thoughts regardless of your experience or expertise in flashlights/blades/tools. It would be great for the EDC thread be an even more informative resource, in the spirit of superfuture®.

I'd be especially interested in reviews/demos of the Atwoods, and some pics of how your favorite pen writes, etc!

good call branespload.

I just picked up a zebra f701 today. It replaced all my g301's that kept breaking in my pocket. the plastic was literally snapping in half. I'm impressed by the total stainless body of the 701 already. I would post some of how it writes, but it's a ballpoint pen. Everybody knows how they write.

hopefully getting a knife soon, will post when I cop. what are everyone's favs? also, flashlights favs?

hopefully getting a knife soon, will post when I cop. what are everyone's favs? also, flashlights favs?

again, i HIGHLY recommend getting a benchmade griptillian or mini grip depending on your needs.

they are ambidextrous, and designed so you can close it with one hand.

other locks can be closed with one hand, but with practice.

the steel stays sharp for a long time, and it's easy to sharpen.

these are in the 50-60 dollar range and will last you a lifetime. the customer service is the best of the business.

the only drawback that they have is the FRN (pretty much glorified plastic) handles. they feel kinda cheap, but aren't.

if you wanna spend 90+ i would recommend a benchmade 710, 940, or 943. BEST PRODUCTION KNIVES IN THIS PRICE RANGE.

also, BUY THEM BEFORE THE NEW YEAR. BENCHMADE WILL CHANGE IT'S PRICING SO THAT THE DEALERS CAN ONLY SELL THE KNIVES 15% BELOW RETAIL.

some good sites are:

knifeworks.com

gpknives.com

yeah.. and remember our superfuture audience

it might be more helpful to some if you can show how you fit your gear in jeans, for example, when not everyone carries maxpedition fannypacks and wears cargo pants.

this EDC thread is for sufuers by sufuers -- you don't see too many people posting guns in their edc right? not many of us do any of that...

just some things to consider.

update on my benchmade mini-barrage.

The edge has been holding up very very well with a little sharpening going on a couple times a month. I'm very rough on my knife, everything from cutting baling wire to slicing up a rotisserie chicken. The matte black finish is holding up really well except for where there are edges and the point of the blade. Can't be much happier although I don't ever use the combo edge except when cutting string and usually i can just slide it with the smooth edge first anyway.

Some problems include a little side to side play and the belt clip loosening up. I contacted Benchmade and they're fixing everything when I send it back for the Lifesharp service.

I am really interested in one of those pry babies cause I never seem to have a bottle opener on me. Also trying to assemble a small trauma kit for my pack. Looking at one of these: http://quarkexpeditions.newheadingsllc.com/product_info.php?products_id=2535 with the addition of superglue.