Hardware anyone? (Buttons, rivets, and zippers oh my.)

rnrswitch

I don't have much of a clue as to how buttons, rivets, etc are made and what makes good quality rivets standout from the cheap one regarding craftsmanship, materials, etc. Or how about mechanism and how the two parts of a button/rivet are held together. It looks like on some donut hole buttons there are two prongs that come from the back side and are bent to hold the top part of the button to the bottom part. Is this how all work? Do all start out as donut holes and then the cap is put on which has the fancy schmancy designs/logos?

Anyways, I tried to dole out the rep to all I could, but most of y'all I have given rep to recently.

I love those real mccoys. I almost bought a pair from BIG because of them.

Is that ALD canister a repair kit? I always wondered why a repair kit doesn't come with a pair of jeans. Just a small package with a needle, denim, thick thread, and maybe a button... just in case.

I don't have much of a clue as to how buttons, rivets, etc are made and what makes good quality rivets standout from the cheap one regarding craftsmanship, materials, etc. Or how about mechanism and how the two parts of a button/rivet are held together. It looks like on some donut hole buttons there are two prongs that come from the back side and are bent to hold the top part of the button to the bottom part. Is this how all work? Do all start out as donut holes and then the cap is put on which has the fancy schmancy designs/logos?

Anyways, I tried to dole out the rep to all I could, but most of y'all I have given rep to recently.

The way the two ends of a rivet/button connect together is generally always the same. On the plain rivets near the coin pocket, for example, you won't see two prongs, but what actually happens is the rivet nail starts out sharp (like a nail) and flattens out when it pressure is applied using the rivet press. The little knobby part on the outside is the flattened copper that holds the nail to the washer piece.

On the buttons, on the underside of the "donut" end of the rivet, you can see where the decorative cap wraps over the business part of the button. Looking at my SC47s right now, for example, the cap of the button is a silvery color while the shaft of the button is a corroded coppery color. One part is decorative, the other functional. Underneath the cap, it connects in the same way (either with the prongs or the deformed rivet nail).

yeah, cosigned on that, i need one (a repair kit) fuckin bad.

if you got the jeans from BiG just call or send an e-mail. gordon & co. have always been great with sending me thread(all cotton of course) and denim scraps. i just got the thread he sent me yesterday. the needles i swear by are the kind you get at beauty supply stores that are intended to sew-in hair weaves. they are mega-thick, curved so you don't need a thimble, and cheap( like a buck each, get 2 and put it in the cut just in case). you can go to a sewing shop, but the thread they have is shit compared to the BiG...

Can somebody put buttons on without needing a button press? I would like to be able to put suspender buttons on all my jeans, if I want, but I don't want to have to buy a button press for that.

Is there anywhere to get a button press? Scovill calls it an attaching machine and they look like they would be pretty expensive, although theirs look rather industrial.

Maybe I need to hit up my local "hobby" shop.

I'd try a shoe/boot repair shop, silly as that may sound. My wife has some sandals where the straps are attached with rivets, one of the rivets popped off and when I took it to a local cobbler they took less than 5 minutes to find a rivet that matched (they had a whole bunch on hand) and attach it.

They might not have the hardware you want, but it's worth a shot...

Can somebody put buttons on without needing a button press? I would like to be able to put suspender buttons on all my jeans, if I want, but I don't want to have to buy a button press for that.

Is there anywhere to get a button press? Scovill calls it an attaching machine and they look like they would be pretty expensive, although theirs look rather industrial.

Maybe I need to hit up my local "hobby" shop.

There's a whole range of rivet presses you can get. A lot of walmarts, craft shops, etc. sell rivets with a shitty press (read: a metal cylinder) that basically sets the rivet so you can hammer it. You can also get hand presses that look like a giant nutcracker or ones that sit on a table, or bigger ones that are foot operated (like the ones you're looking at from scovill, probably). All of them should do basically the same thing, with differing levels of frustration ;)

Also, if you can find a supplier that sells buttons in small quantity for suspenders that are on par with those posted in this thread, feel free to share!

anyone know where i can get those rivets for the back pockets? i have a couple of old levis where the back pocket rivet is coming off and i'd like my local tailor to repair it but he doesn't have the rivets...

I think scovill does give out samples.

Well as some people have already posted some Evisu ones ill try and only post the ones i havent seen here yet.

First these are some the HIdehiko Yamane line. The rivet fronts and backs look almost the same and they dont have the nipple bit on the rivet fronts.

Button

dscf4941.jpg

Rivet front

dscf4957.jpg

Button and rivets back.

dscf4939c.jpg

These are from my evis jacket. This has the earlier scovill hardware.

The old Yamane TENNROCK zip. Made by scovill.

TENNROCK_ZIP.JPG

Buttons are fairly old and they are put together differently from the newer buttons.

dscf4919u.jpg

dscf4921.jpg

Button Backs.

dscf4918q.jpg

Rivet Fronts and Backs.

dscf4949.jpg

dscf4946t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for somebody to post the prps hardware. Nice.

I took my 1947's to the tailor to fix a rip in the bottom of the back pocket and he ripped one of my hidden rivets off. I was bummed.

I think I'd tell him to hell with his fee and ask for my damn rivet back.

Not because back pocket rivets are horribly important, but because a tailor should know better and because the repairs should be as invisible as possible if I'm paying a professional to do it - why the hell do I want only one obnoxious bar tack when the other three points my back pockets attach to don't have one?