Hardware anyone? (Buttons, rivets, and zippers oh my.)

rnrswitch

Yeah, I definitely like the old samurai hardware. The SC47s you have seem to have corroded more than mine. Mine are about 4-5 years old and have been washed many times and still don't have any signs of rusting.

You should post your 21 oz sammies contest jeans. How does the hardware look now?

ole' eddie representin'! show us more! i just learned that Ykk makes universal rivets, and that the ''ring part/female part/washer'' is called the burr, and the male part is the called the rivet. the diameter of the base of the rivet. is measured in units called 'ligne'.(1/12 of an imperial inch)

i love the del bombers fly with the varied buttons.

yeah nearly my whole left back pocket is coming off and i need like a patch over that exposed rivet, inside of legs have huge wholes up by my ass, my redmoon has punched through the bottom of my right back pocket, and i dont feel like paying denim doctors 125 bucks to fix everything that needs fixed haha

we need to see some pics of these jeans(whatever they may be), cause apparently you've been putting in some serious work. i do all repairs with regular ole' needle and thread, so i don't know if i could do all that work...denim doctors might be the best option. lets see em, then you can get even more opinions...

Yeah, stop trashing up this thread and post some pics of that exposed hidden rivet.

On another note. I really like zipper flies (it might just be because they are out of the norm), but I don't like that they have the potential to become completely useless. A set of buttons can live on through rust/grime/corrosion of sorts, but once rust and grime get on the teeth of a zipper, then it's over. I haven't had this happen yet, but I would like to hear from people who have zipper flies that have rusted shut or broken in general.

I wonder how vintage zip fly levis have lasted over time.

Switch, can't rep at the moment but great idea for a thread. I'm a sucker for hardware too. I don't really consider them enough when shopping for a new pair... But I had fun taking these pics, I'd never though my crappy 5 year old camera had such decent macro...

These DJ-501xx were my first real pair of Japanese stf denim. I loved the buttons and rivets when I first got them. I still think they're cool, if over the top...

Top button (sun)

p8230110.jpg

Fly button, DJ's logo

p8230111.jpg

Front pocket rivet (outseam)

p8230112.jpg

Back

p8230114.jpg

Rivet, plain and simple for a change

p8230113.jpg

Back, DJ uses some kind of washer between rivet and pocketbag

p8230115.jpg

Hidden rivet, Universal

p8230117.jpg

More to come later...

The only zipper fly jeans I own are LVC 67 505 and the zipper broke after 6 months or so...

anyway, GREAT thread!

x-post from the Ooe yofukuten tour thread:

comparison between Ooe yofukuten world tour jeans and LVC s501xx (wwII model), the 'donut' buttons...

Ooe Yofukuten:

dsc05231r.jpg

Levis:

dsc05230.jpg

Ooe:

dsc05240.jpg

Levis:

dsc05245z.jpg

Are those PBJ buttons painted black? They look pretty nice.

Also, does your camera have a macro function. If so this will allow you to focus on small items.

I think they're anodized rather than painted but I could be wrong

And that is with the macro function lol my camera just decided it wasn't going to focus right a few months ago and it's been annoying ever since

HaGa, the rear side of those 710bk buttons looks nice. It also looks like the "burr" as salaami pointed out of the rivets is bleeding some rust color on your white pockets.

Pomata: I like the 44 repro donut buttons. The Ooe does a good job of reproducing the levis.

I love big pics. All the more detail. I would post massive pics if I knew it didn't piss people off.

That exposed hidden rivet is gangsta. What sammies are those?

Denime Kyoto Model, I don't know much about these except that it's a 66 based cut sold exclusively in the Denime store in Kyoto. The denim is pretty light in color. Anyway, mostly standard Denime hardware I think... Basic.

p8230129.jpg

p8230130.jpg

p8230131.jpg

No hidden rivets because it's a 66 model.

Finally, 45rpm Sorahiko. Very straightforward, no bells & whistles...

button

p8230132.jpg

back

p8230134.jpg

rivet

p8230133.jpg

back/hidden rivet

p8230135.jpg

That's all I gots.