Jump to content
denimdestroyedmylife

arcteryx veilance

Recommended Posts

maybe it isn't so noticeable as my field os is black but looks like this sweat problem is going to be an inevitability. do you guys spot clean or just bung it in the wash?

Edited by scamster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the black Field OS. I was referring to the collar greying. Everytime I wear mine, even the slightest touch will get my collar grey (probably from dead skim cells)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alright nomin v2 owners I got my warranty’d pack back and even when the magnetic laptop sleeve latches shut, my 15”MBP still rattles/pats me on the back when I walk. There’s a decent inch or so of clearance, so it wobbles within the compartment.. I can imagine this is even worse with a thinner laptop. I didn’t have this issue with the bungee system on the V1. Anyone else experiencing this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, I have a 13" air and the pack travel fine. I do use a cote&Ciel case which adds some bulk. Do you keep your laptop on the side of the divider closer to your back or to the front of the pack 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, johngalt said:

Nope, I have a 13" air and the pack travel fine. I do use a cote&Ciel case which adds some bulk. Do you keep your laptop on the side of the divider closer to your back or to the front of the pack 

i have no case on mine, as all the integrated padding on the new nomin would make it redundant imo. i keep it closest to my back, in the hidden/padded compartment. even fully enclosed, if the magnet manages to stay despite my 5ish pound laptop tapping against it, there's enough empty space/clearance for it to wiggle. i don't notice it in any other backpack laptop sleeve ive used (dsptch, 511, nomin v1, outlier, aer, arktype, etc). maybe it works better for smaller, lighter laptops (2-3lb, 12-13")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any wallet experts or beta testers with insight on the upcoming (billfold specifically) wallets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I review wallets for a living and I have the billfold so I guess I am qualified to chime in here lol

Here's an album of the casing card wallet just so you have a sense of how they look

https://imgur.com/a/S5QRW

I have both the card wallet as my EDC and the billfold (USD sized) that I don't really use ever. Basic rundown is that they're Veilance spec'd horween leather out of chicago, made in canada. Laser cut then laminated with a synthetic backer in the billfold and card pocket sections for some extra durability. Slight water resistance, more than a regular leather but not necessarily waterproof or anything. The Veilance spec leather does break in, but doesn't necessarily patina as drastically as other Horween, so it's a bit more hardwearing in that regard. Interesting tidbit -- pretty sure the same industrial designer who did the Apple branded iPhone leather case made the Casing collection (http://hiatas.com/category/work/).

I could go on and on about the card wallet, but the short of it is that it's very compact for how luxe and durable it feels, but it isn't exactly the smallest in its class (bested by the Discommon x Venn thermoformed wallet). It looks super sleek and timeless but one issue is that because of its symmetric design and lack of external branding, you have no visual cue to know at-a-glance which cards will be on what side. Tiny thing but I'm a wallet nerd, it's just another consideration when going to swipe my metrocard

As for the billfold, it's a solid attempt but not my favorite. Don't have pics handy but the main thing is how bulky it gets when folded. It's incredibly slim when brand new and flat, of course, but notice how the card pocket layout forces you to stack cards on top of each other, then fold the entire wallet over. There's no cascading of the cards to average out their thickness. Then, when you add bills, it gets thicker, then folding it over doubles that obviously. Another thing is that the "back" of the billfold section is higher than the "front" of it, where the card pockets are located, so over time the top excess molds in a weird, flappy way. It isn't as clean-looking as I'd like but it does help with access and reducing weight. If you handle cash often it's a reasonably nice wallet, but if you're really picky like me you might find it disappointing. That said, I've seen lots of people are happy with theirs, so hopefully someone can chime in.

lmk if you have any specific questions

Edited by branespload
dont mind me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mionn IS and Graph sweater arrived (Nordstrom Rack sale ftw). Reckon I could have gotten away with a small in the latter. Mionn should be an excellent underjacket for the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@branespload Yep it's the same guy. Shane's firm has done work for a lot of outdoors brands: Patagonia, AK Burton and Arc'teryx of course. Think of him as the Stephen Mann of hardware and softgoods. I believe his firm helped with Cohaesive, the new cord lock system.

For anyone interested, here is the guy's Instagram. In this picture he explicitly take credit for the wallets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there much difference between the Dyadic and Graph cardigans? They seem incredibly similar other than the pockets in the Dyadic and a bit of stretch nylon panelling in the Graph. Any reason why someone would choose one over the other?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah it looks similar but it's cuz it's hard to tell with the ecomm photos. in person you can tell the dyadic is very S/S based and the graph is very F/W

other than the differences you pointed out, the Dyadic has a different shape to the collar (stands lower, doesn't seal out wind on the neck as much as graph). IIRC zipper on the dyadic is less substantial, whereas the Graph cardi uses the branded YKK excella. The main difference though is the material. The Dyadic uses that merino jersey like on the base layers in high-heat/moisture areas.

So you'd choose the Dyadic for warmer temps where it's your only layer and would want pockets, graph is a more structured, substantial feeling layering piece with no pockets, but can deflect some light drizzle with the nylon paneling and DWR. also, i'm pretty sure the main outer of the graph has some nylon content to it for durability/resistance with 100% merino on the inside for warmth/wicking. so durability is also a factor when choosing between the two

with all of that said, it might be worth waiting for the dyadic comp pieces to hit from ss18. i am super hype for those, both the pullover and the hoody. the pullover has like crazy merino/terratex comp construction/paneling and the hoody is basically what i wanted the mionn IS comp to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@branesploadIs right again. The Dyadic uses the simple YKK with a webbing pull as the Nemis. The Dyadic is thermal mapped using microgrid merino jersey in high-heat areas. The pocket are made from Terratex. 

 

Graph is getting pockets from next FW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 3:54 PM, branespload said:

I review wallets for a living and I have the billfold so I guess I am qualified to chime in here lol

Here's an album of the casing card wallet just so you have a sense of how they look

https://imgur.com/a/S5QRW

I have both the card wallet as my EDC and the billfold (USD sized) that I don't really use ever. Basic rundown is that they're Veilance spec'd horween leather out of chicago, made in canada. Laser cut then laminated with a synthetic backer in the billfold and card pocket sections for some extra durability. Slight water resistance, more than a regular leather but not necessarily waterproof or anything. The Veilance spec leather does break in, but doesn't necessarily patina as drastically as other Horween, so it's a bit more hardwearing in that regard. Interesting tidbit -- pretty sure the same industrial designer who did the Apple branded iPhone leather case made the Casing collection (http://hiatas.com/category/work/).

I could go on and on about the card wallet, but the short of it is that it's very compact for how luxe and durable it feels, but it isn't exactly the smallest in its class (bested by the Discommon x Venn thermoformed wallet). It looks super sleek and timeless but one issue is that because of its symmetric design and lack of external branding, you have no visual cue to know at-a-glance which cards will be on what side. Tiny thing but I'm a wallet nerd, it's just another consideration when going to swipe my metrocard

As for the billfold, it's a solid attempt but not my favorite. Don't have pics handy but the main thing is how bulky it gets when folded. It's incredibly slim when brand new and flat, of course, but notice how the card pocket layout forces you to stack cards on top of each other, then fold the entire wallet over. There's no cascading of the cards to average out their thickness. Then, when you add bills, it gets thicker, then folding it over doubles that obviously. Another thing is that the "back" of the billfold section is higher than the "front" of it, where the card pockets are located, so over time the top excess molds in a weird, flappy way. It isn't as clean-looking as I'd like but it does help with access and reducing weight. If you handle cash often it's a reasonably nice wallet, but if you're really picky like me you might find it disappointing. That said, I've seen lots of people are happy with theirs, so hopefully someone can chime in.

lmk if you have any specific questions

There are also some massive changes coming to the Graph for FW19. So if you like the current version... stock up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody who have review on their warranty? I have a shell jacket that when I wear it in the rain i am all wet in the inside (I do bike and running like 3-8km). I put DWR because the face fabric absorb all the water from the outside and I think this is the reason I am all wet in the inside after 10 minutes in the rain. But the problem is that the DWR even after 10 minutes doesn't really work at 100% and I am still wet and the dwr work for about 2-3 days and only like 10 minutes in rain. ?:«proudly guarantees the quality, performance and fit of all our products.Also I saw on their website that veilance warranty so this should fit in their performance mission, rigth? Also I found that the jacket is a litle too big for me now, I don't know if the material strech or something, but it is too big. They said that they guarantees the fit, can they tailor the jacket too a size smaller or do something. Are they going to do anything with the warranty ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alexi12345 said:

Anybody who have review on their warranty? I have a shell jacket that when I wear it in the rain i am all wet in the inside (I do bike and running like 3-8km). I put DWR because the face fabric absorb all the water from the outside and I think this is the reason I am all wet in the inside after 10 minutes in the rain. But the problem is that the DWR even after 10 minutes doesn't really work at 100% and I am still wet and the dwr work for about 2-3 days and only like 10 minutes in rain. ?:«proudly guarantees the quality, performance and fit of all our products.Also I saw on their website that veilance warranty so this should fit in their performance mission, rigth? Also I found that the jacket is a litle too big for me now, I don't know if the material strech or something, but it is too big. They said that they guarantees the fit, can they tailor the jacket too a size smaller or do something. Are they going to do anything with the warranty ?

Have you ever washed the jacket before and how did you apply DWR, did you use a dryer to reactivate/activate the DWR coating? What jacket do you have, if it's goretex you're experiencing a significant amount of wetting out which can be attributed to Gore Delamination or heavily used and unwashed goretex also based on your comment regarding the face fabric absorbing water that your jacket has a nylon face fabric which is a hydrophillic material. Hydrophillic materials absorb water ~ Nylon absorbs water inherently.

Regarding the "proudly grantees the quality, performance, and fit of all our products" that statement is more or less about how each of their product remains a certain tolerance range of each sizing hence their sizing across a whole batch of the same model has a consistent sizing; a medium will always fit like a medium and never like a small or large. However this doesn't mean the fit of the jacket is guaranteed to work on you, fit is subjective as we all have different body types, it's still up to you to get the right size and understand if the fit works on you or not.

Edited by Toilettebun
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Toilettebun said:

Have you ever washed the jacket before and how did you apply DWR, did you use a dryer to reactivate/activate the DWR coating? What jacket do you have, if it's goretex you're experiencing a significant amount of wetting out which can be attributed to Gore Delamination or heavily used and unwashed goretex, if it's not a goretex jacket then based on your comment regarding the face fabric absorbing water that your jacket has a nylon face fabric which is a hydrophillic material. Regarding the "proudly grantees the quality, performance, and fit of all our products" that statement is more or less about how each of their product remains a certain tolerance range of each sizing hence their sizing across a whole batch of the same model has a consistent sizing; a medium will always fit like a medium and never like a small or large. However this doesn't mean the fit of the jacket is guaranteed to work on you, fit is subjective as we all have different body types, it's still up to you to get the right size and understand if the fit works on you or not.

I have the aling jacket so it's gore-tex. And the jacket is not heavely used and washed or unwashed ( the jacket looks in perfect condition). And yes I use dryer DWR for the coating.

I saw some delamination at one or two place on the jacket but it's like 0,5cm each place so I don't know if Arc'teryx veilance would see it and say yeah that's delamination. But yeah I am all wet when it comes to be outside after 10 minutes in the rain :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had good experiences with my warranties, and if you're getting wet in your shell you kinda don't have anything to lose to send it in. I've sent in an older Nemis to fix the wavy collar, a Node Down that had some durability issues on the hood, and my mis-aligned magnet on the Nomin laptop compartment. I've gotten replacements, not repairs, though, and these styles haven't been discontinued. Since the Align is discontinued, if they can't fix it, they'll probably give you a credit to choose a similar piece, then you can pick a new size if you need it.

I'd trust the Arc warranty team, cuz they know the construction of the garment and might know the cause of the defect better. The only issue is it takes a long while, but understandable given how many people send product in for warranty between seasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, branespload said:

I've had good experiences with my warranties, and if you're getting wet in your shell you kinda don't have anything to lose to send it in. I've sent in an older Nemis to fix the wavy collar, a Node Down that had some durability issues on the hood, and my mis-aligned magnet on the Nomin laptop compartment. I've gotten replacements, not repairs, though, and these styles haven't been discontinued. Since the Align is discontinued, if they can't fix it, they'll probably give you a credit to choose a similar piece, then you can pick a new size if you need it.

I'd trust the Arc warranty team, cuz they know the construction of the garment and might know the cause of the defect better. The only issue is it takes a long while, but understandable given how many people send product in for warranty between seasons

Thanks! I just send the jacket to their warranty store in Vancouver. I hope they will do something. I'll let y'all know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so my terrratex voronois (already a warranty replacement) developed a tear in the usual location: the crotch gusset seam. interestingly enough, this time the warranty department directed me to ship the pants to a service center for 'assesment and repair'. kinda interested to see if they'll attempt to repair it, and how. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heads up for anyone in the market for a field overshirt: capsule's price is marginally lower than the official retail of ~525USD due to CAD weakness

 

comes out to about 482USD after shipping

 

sold out: https://www.capsuletoronto.com/products/field-overshirt-17321-black 

edit: navy is still available: https://www.capsuletoronto.com/products/field-overshirt-17321-navy

 

 

edit again: wow www.cruvoir.com has a selection of veilance that is cheaper than most other places --includes wallets

Edited by chris_n
wow that last small went quickly. added a new link for navy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Alexi12345 said:

Thanks! I just send the jacket to their warranty store in Vancouver. I hope they will do something. I'll let y'all know.

 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:34 AM, branespload said:

I've had good experiences with my warranties, and if you're getting wet in your shell you kinda don't have anything to lose to send it in. I've sent in an older Nemis to fix the wavy collar, a Node Down that had some durability issues on the hood, and my mis-aligned magnet on the Nomin laptop compartment. I've gotten replacements, not repairs, though, and these styles haven't been discontinued. Since the Align is discontinued, if they can't fix it, they'll probably give you a credit to choose a similar piece, then you can pick a new size if you need it.

I'd trust the Arc warranty team, cuz they know the construction of the garment and might know the cause of the defect better. The only issue is it takes a long while, but understandable given how many people send product in for warranty between seasons

In the middle of my first warranty process w/ Arc'teryx now. Sent my nomin v1 in on September 23, got confirmation of receipt on October 2 and haven't heard anything yet. Will be pretty happy if I get it back in the next 4 weeks. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 5:42 PM, branespload said:

alright nomin v2 owners I got my warranty’d pack back and even when the magnetic laptop sleeve latches shut, my 15”MBP still rattles/pats me on the back when I walk. There’s a decent inch or so of clearance, so it wobbles within the compartment.. I can imagine this is even worse with a thinner laptop. I didn’t have this issue with the bungee system on the V1. Anyone else experiencing this?

i'm deciding between v1 and v2 rn... is the laptop sleeve weirdness enough to pick a v1 over the v2? (since i'll be mainly using it for traveling w/ a laptop)

Edited by chris_n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@chris_n I decided to stick with the v1. Mainly because I didn't like the magnets, and I really don't think they work too well. The bungee thing on the v1 is pretty much infallible. 

At the same time, if you're mainly just carrying a laptop, you very well may appreciate the smaller size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnomalousTautology said:

@chris_n I decided to stick with the v1. Mainly because I didn't like the magnets, and I really don't think they work too well. The bungee thing on the v1 is pretty much infallible. 

At the same time, if you're mainly just carrying a laptop, you very well may appreciate the smaller size

thanks for the input. sorry i meant that there would almost always be a laptop in the bag along with other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Brand - 125 x 125