Workshirts

gimmegimme

^yeah, nice looking shirts, good find. Do you know if the indigo workshirt is indigo dyed or just indigo color? thanks

edit - I emailed Alan and did not really understand his reply "they are not indigo dyed, they are indigo". However, he also sent this which is really interesting. "Thanks for the compliment. We also custom make garments upon request. Thats actually where most of my business come from. Just send me your measurements and we should have your shirt ready in 2-3 weeks. Thanks." How do you beat that!

is it possible to tailor/alter a shirt collar? i recently bought an old big mac flannel that fits perfectly and has awesome fabric, but it's got a big ol' 70s collar. can i get that taken in to a more neutral point?

while we're at it, if anyone can recommend any spots in los angeles that could handle this, i'd appreciate it.

is it possible to tailor/alter a shirt collar? i recently bought an old big mac flannel that fits perfectly and has awesome fabric, but it's got a big ol' 70s collar. can i get that taken in to a more neutral point?

while we're at it, if anyone can recommend any spots in los angeles that could handle this, i'd appreciate it.

I don't know anywhere that does this, but it is a pretty easy process. You just need to unstitch the collar from the stand, turn out the collar, restitch the collar with a tamer line, then fold it back in and then restitch it to the stand.

cool, thanks for the reply. i'm not familiar with the tailor language, but i'm assuming you mean it's a pretty easy process for a tailor - not that i should attempt this myself? i wouldn't do that anyhow... so i'll talk to my local tailor and see what they say.

i'll try to remember to take some before/after pics.

Just got some vintage workshirst from Glory in Los Angeles. They are made by an exclusive shirting company called TIME & SILENCE. The details are pretty amazing. Check'em out @ TIMEANDSILENCE.COM.

Ordered a made to measure indigo workshirt today from Time and Silence. Alan is a pleasure to work with. Send him your measurements and in 3 weeks you have a made to measure shirt. He makes a pattern for a one time charge of $30 and you're off and running. And, the indigo is Ai dyed Japaese cloth! Thanks for the tip, + rep.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the natural indigo dyed custom workshirt from Alan at Time and Silence today. Beautiful indigo dyed chambray (almost black), great workmanship and details, lined shoulder/neck, double button cuff. Do not hesitate!

is it possible to tailor/alter a shirt collar?

before:

photo.JPG

after:

photo-1.JPG

took this to my local tailor and i'm very happy with the job they did. the change appears pretty subtle in these photos, but it's a big improvement in person and/or when worn with the top button open. aside from being a very large collar originally, you can see in the first pic that the right side (in the photo) is significantly larger than the left. my tailor took in the points a bit and evened them out. and most importantly, they didn't over-do it. a mini collar would have looked ridiculous on a flannel.

before:

photo.JPG

after:

photo-1.JPG

took this to my local tailor and i'm very happy with the job they did. the change appears pretty subtle in these photos, but it's a big improvement in person and/or when worn with the top button open. aside from being a very large collar originally, you can see in the first pic that the right side (in the photo) is significantly larger than the left. my tailor took in the points a bit and evened them out. and most importantly, they didn't over-do it. a mini collar would have looked ridiculous on a flannel.

Looks good. how much did they charge you?

Lurking make me love this threads..will post mine soon.workshirt & suspender just like coffe & creamer. really blends together.

Looks good. how much did they charge you?

thanks. it was either $20 or $25, i can't recall. more than i paid for the shirt itself, but i was curious how it would turn out. also, i wouldn't have worn the shirt the way it was before and i'll wear it all the time now.

while on the topic of flannel collars/details, why is it that every japanese company makes their flannels western style (with the pointed should pads and snap buttons) and/or with huge collars? i don't see these as standard details on vintage flannels...

though maybe i should be happy to have excuses not to spend hundreds on flannels...

thanks. it was either $20 or $25, i can't recall. more than i paid for the shirt itself, but i was curious how it would turn out. also, i wouldn't have worn the shirt the way it was before and i'll wear it all the time now.

while on the topic of flannel collars/details, why is it that every japanese company makes their flannels western style (with the pointed should pads and snap buttons) and/or with huge collars? i don't see these as standard details on vintage flannels...

though maybe i should be happy to have excuses not to spend hundreds on flannels...

The lofgren flannels are not western style. they have nice work wear type buttons with open pockets.

Lofgren

^ that's a very nice looking shirt, as is this one:

b5fd82b1cf.jpg

but they're both sold out. these also appear to be cut pretty wide/full. i need a long, reasonably slim cut. tall sizes seem to work nicely - especially after a few washes when the sleeves and body shrink up.

where are you guys purchasing these? rakuten?

^ that's a very nice looking shirt, as is this one:

b5fd82b1cf.jpg

but they're both sold out. these also appear to be cut pretty wide/full. i need a long, reasonably slim cut. tall sizes seem to work nicely - especially after a few washes when the sleeves and body shrink up.

where are you guys purchasing these? rakuten?

Lofgren sells on ebay. His speedway shop is:

Speedway

BTW he is very easy to work with and is a pretty cool cat on top of it all. If there is something you are looking for shoot him a message on ebay and see if he can get it for ya.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that. Pretty cool for him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...