supermeatheads

kunk75

HIIT

good diet (not eating fast food does not mean you are eating well)

Lol no shit. I think he was asking something more specific.

After reading a ton of information on IA's site, I think it's safe to say that the best diets to get cut are TCD's , carb cycling or keto. All three are listed by their increased diffculty.

Don't fucking take fat loss supplements if you're already lean...unless dieting doesn't work for you (but from the sound of it, it should work)

Lol no shit. I think he was asking something more specific.

In my opinion and experience you don't really need to do much more specific than that to lose fat. I think it's silly or even stupid to put your body through things like a keto diet if you're not trying to be a body builder. That's obviously just my opinion, though.

Don't eat a lot of carbohydrates you aren't going to use in a timely manner.

Also, anyone know good exercises for leaner thighs, I do not want to have bulky muscular thighs anymore.

I'm also wondering about this, my legs are starting to swell way faster than I'd like. It's probably a good thing because my legs have always been kind of scrawny but my thighs are growing at a way faster rate than my calves and it freaks me out when I look in the mirror. hind legs of a dog concept

And chairy, I need your opinion on squats. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to handle them at all, with big weight of course. I end up doing 3/4th squats and I know that's bitch status.

I nearly blacke out today when I went all the way down. Could it be CNS fatigue or something?

if you do olympic squats (high-bar squats) then switch to low-bar squats.

also, do squats (and deadlifts) in chucks, vans, any other flat-soled sneaker, or barefoot.

these things should alleviate bitch status squats :)

I'm also wondering about this, my legs are starting to swell way faster than I'd like. It's probably a good thing because my legs have always been kind of scrawny but my thighs are growing at a way faster rate than my calves and it freaks me out when I look in the mirror. hind legs of a dog concept

can't really change that.. mostly genetics man. trust me, I've tried everything in the book and you've got to learn to accept it and embrace it.

I've had some huge guys putting up big weight come up to me and tell me they're jealous of my thigh size because they're genes make it hard for them to put on muscle there.

My diet is good I'd say - rarely any fast food or fried foods

here is your problem - diet. cardio will help but it's not that important.

it seems like you're eating healthy but aren't counting your calories and macros.

for weight loss (especially fat loss), it's important to measure every non-processed food (no nutrition label) you eat with a kitchen scale so that you know exactly how many calories (and fats, carbs, protein) are going into your system for the day.

not only is it important for weight loss, but I feel it's important to maintenance and gaining too.

my ocd helps me to be a nazi when it comes to these things. I can tell you exactly how many calories and macros I've consumed at any given time in a day. I even keep a log of my intake so I know how my body is responding to different macros.

And chairy, I need your opinion on squats. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to handle them at all, with big weight of course. I end up doing 3/4th squats and I know that's bitch status.

I nearly blacke out today when I went all the way down. Could it be CNS fatigue or something?

btw, blacking out means your body doesn't have enough oxygen so..

1. how many reps in the sets are you blacking out at?

2. before you make your descend, are you inhaling a deep breathe and holding air in your stomach (not chest)?

3. when do you start releasing the air?

4. how long is each rep taking you?

here is your problem - diet. cardio will help but it's not that important.

it seems like you're eating healthy but aren't counting your calories and macros.

for weight loss (especially fat loss), it's important to measure every non-processed food (no nutrition label) you eat with a kitchen scale so that you know exactly how many calories (and fats, carbs, protein) are going into your system for the day.

not only is it important for weight loss, but I feel it's important to maintenance and gaining too.

my ocd helps me to be a nazi when it comes to these things. I can tell you exactly how many calories and macros I've consumed at any given time in a day. I even keep a log of my intake so I know how my body is responding to different macros.

That's probably why, I feel like working out so much leads me to eat quite alot (nothing unhealthy, just a bigger proportion than normal). I'd need to develop a calorie counting system (calorie intake vs calorie output). Now, to be a nazi about it..

That's probably why, I feel like working out so much leads me to eat quite alot (nothing unhealthy, just a bigger proportion than normal). I'd need to develop a calorie counting system (calorie intake vs calorie output). Now, to be a nazi about it..

it makes it a whole lot easier to count calories if you plan out what you're going to eat ahead of time.

I do mine on an simple excel sheet that I made a long time ago to track my progress which I've actually sold to a number of gym members to help them track their intake and macros fairly easily.

btw, blacking out means your body doesn't have enough oxygen so..

1. how many reps in the sets are you blacking out at?

2. before you make your descend, are you inhaling a deep breathe and holding air in your stomach (not chest)?

3. when do you start releasing the air?

4. how long is each rep taking you?

Hey Chairy

Could you explain a high bar squat vs low bar squat? I've looked at videos online and I can't discern any noticeable difference between the two....

1. Any rep that I go below 3/4th

2. Not really, I never got breathing down correctly

3. Not sure

4. I try to go down slow and explode up

I've actually just started squatting/deadlifting in flat shoes recently.

Also chairy one last question....I feel I'm an ectomorph....but maybe it's just skinny fat.

I want to gain size/strength and much as possible until I reach my desired stats, but I really hate having this nasty gut. Doesn't bother me for the most part except that it makes me feel awkward with my girlfriend.

So should I follow a carb cycling diet or a timed carb diet? Or should I just deal with it until my stats increase a bunch? Right now I'm bulking, and eating as clean as possible. Although I cheat often because I'm worried I won't get enough cals in.

^ There's something that I can partially chime in on. Been doing Rippetoe for the last 2-3 months, where all the workouts involve Squats. Breathing is always held prior to execution, and release when the movement is done. There's countless benefits to doing this, i.e. helps keeps the spine straight throughout.. etc. I also try to focus on the "Hip Drive" they keep talking about in the program/videos. Blacking out might be caused by over exertion of other muscles? Some posters say it's natural as you are using a large muscle group that demands a lot of Oxygen. I've felt a similar experience doing heavy Deadlifts and it is odd.

I've also ditched the fancy trainers for something more flat (Superga's) and I can definitely say I prefer the considerable reduction in squish. Something about the Nike Free soles I had prior, just felt too wobbly in doing movements like Squats, Deadlifts.

I've also been wanting to go the clean bulk route, and (shxt) looks like we're all on the same boat here as the woman's already asked why I've been getting so fat. There's always the idea that I'll cut down once I feel that I'm at an ideal size, but when'll that ever happen really?

Lastly, any opinions on Whey Isolate? I'm thinking that the right lesser volume meals, with just the appropriate supplementation might lead to a lot cleaner (and maybe more palpable size increase) bulk. Would this stuff make a big difference? Specially in its intended use as a post workout drink?

Lastly, any opinions on Whey Isolate? I'm thinking that the right lesser volume meals, with just the appropriate supplementation might lead to a lot cleaner (and maybe more palpable size increase) bulk. Would this stuff make a big difference? Specially in its intended use as a post workout drink?

Isolate is the fastest absorbed protein available, it is the perfect choice for post-workout consumption. That being said, you wouldnt notice a big immidate difference just by using isolate compared to say, a blend or concentrate. But over time, it does make a difference when taken post workout, albeit not an abnormally huge one

You are better off getting a good mealk strategy and timing as opposed to relying solely on the right type of protein for big gains.

And diet is HUGE for gains/bulk. I sound like a broken record here, but meal timing is almost as important as what you eat, if not equal. A fast acting simple carb meal ( for replacing lost muscle glycogen) combined with fast acting protein immidiatly after a workout, do wonders over time

I normally stick to low glycemic index carbs for the day ( slow controlled release rates, no insulin spikes, better absorbtion, less fat/water retention) Yams, whole grain pasta/bread and sweet potatoes make up the bulk of my eating to get big diet.

Right after a workout, I have a shake at the gym, followed by a dinner of lean chicken or beef, a bowl of regular pasta, and a salad. Dont neglect your vegitables ever. They aid in digestion, and they are loaded with phytochemicals that just make everytihng else work better, plus the excess fiber helps to clean you out.

Mr.Brown its nice to see you posting regularly in this thread, your knowledge/depth is very well rounded

Hey Chairy

Could you explain a high bar squat vs low bar squat? I've looked at videos online and I can't discern any noticeable difference between the two....

1. Any rep that I go below 3/4th

2. Not really, I never got breathing down correctly

3. Not sure

4. I try to go down slow and explode up

I've actually just started squatting/deadlifting in flat shoes recently.

Also chairy one last question....I feel I'm an ectomorph....but maybe it's just skinny fat.

I want to gain size/strength and much as possible until I reach my desired stats, but I really hate having this nasty gut. Doesn't bother me for the most part except that it makes me feel awkward with my girlfriend.

So should I follow a carb cycling diet or a timed carb diet? Or should I just deal with it until my stats increase a bunch? Right now I'm bulking, and eating as clean as possible. Although I cheat often because I'm worried I won't get enough cals in.

high bar squats are ones with the traditional bar placement on your traps.

low bar squats have the bar placed on your shoulder blades, thus low (lower on your back) bar squats. it utilizes more hams and less quads.

as for the whole breathing thing, I think that's your issue with blacking out. your body is just running out of oxygen. during your reps. like WillKhitie said, right before your descend, deep breath into your lower gut, hold and don't start releasing until you're at least 3/4th of the way ascended.

what are you stats to begin with?

CUTUP put it very nicely.

to add, while I'm cutting, I like to have 75g of high-glycemic carbs with my isolate post-workout, maintenance = 100g, and when I'm trying to put on some muscle = 125g.

I normally stick to low glycemic index carbs for the day ( slow controlled release rates, no insulin spikes, better absorbtion, less fat/water retention) Yams, whole grain pasta/bread and sweet potatoes make up the bulk of my eating to get big diet.

Mr.Brown its nice to see you posting regularly in this thread, your knowledge/depth is very well rounded

same here, the only low-glycemic carbs I intake are sweet potatoes and whole grains. I usually have whole wheat bread too, but since I'm in seoul, south korea now, I can't get my hands on any :(

thanks, same goes to you man.

I'll definitely focus on my breathing.

My stats as in height/weight or three main lifts?

And what vegetables do you guys typically eat? Would it be fine to just eat a bunch of baby spinach with every meal? I never really know which veggies to get honestly.

all of those stats.

and for veggies, baby spinach is an excellent choice. in fact, probably my favorite. I would eat it every day but it's too expensive in korea, so I stick with broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans. most veggies that are green and/or have hard stems are high in fiber.

all of those stats.

and for veggies, baby spinach is an excellent choice. in fact, probably my favorite. I would eat it every day but it's too expensive in korea, so I stick with broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans. most veggies that are green and/or have hard stems are high in fiber.

Would it be okay to JUST eat baby spinach or is variety best?

5'8''

170lbs most likely

I'm really scrawny

Dont have any 1 rep max numbers but I have 5 rep

Embarrassed to post this but whatever.

Bench 5 rep - 180lbs

Squat 5 rep - 180lbs

Deadlift 5 rep - 255lbs

Would it be okay to JUST eat baby spinach or is variety best?

5'8''

170lbs most likely

I'm really scrawny

Dont have any 1 rep max numbers but I have 5 rep

Embarrassed to post this but whatever.

Bench 5 rep - 180lbs

Squat 5 rep - 180lbs

Deadlift 5 rep - 255lbs

given though numbers, you may want to keep at it and try to increase your lifts a tad. eat for maintenance and do something like a 5x5 or better yet a SPBR

I wish I could bench as much as I squatted.

haha wouldn't we all :)

That would be useful but I'd need to know how much a gram of chocomine weighs in the first place :(

(I dont have a scale)

for things of that nature, you NEED a scale.

for anything over 5 grams, I just use a normal digital kitchen scale.

for anything under 5 grams, I use something like this: http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=57&pid=6834

it doesn't have to be that exact scale but any scale that can measure increments as small as 0.1g (100mg) is suggested.

What am I doing wrong???

The past 6 months I haven't really been making any gains in strength, size, or lost any fat (I think i stayed the same weight and lost a bit of size even). My goal, i imagine like most people, is to lose fat and gain lean muscle.

I train 5-6 days a week on a 3-day routine (chest/tris; legs/shoulders; back/bis)

Im roughly 5'11" and 210 lbs and something like 19% bf.

I eat relatively healthily, i get enough protein (~130 g/day) as well as enough calories.

A lot of the time I get muscle soreness (not a good pump, but lactic acid build-up maybe?) while I'm training but I try to just push through.

Ive been training for the past 6 years pretty steadily and have been pretty happy with the results up until this last year. Am I overtraining? Do I need to totally switch up the routine? Is it a diet thing?

Any and all help from the gym gods would be appreciated cuz this is starting to frustrate the fuck out of me.(sorry for the long masturbatory post)

I'm just cycling through a 3-day routine and i generally take a 1 day break in between. So, usually, its Mon - Wed (on) Th (off) Fri - Sun (on).

As for the macro breakdown, im a little ignorant about the whole thing (too lazy to count calories every day) but here's a typical day for me:

8:00 - 4 whole eggs, 2.5 cups of oatmeal, 26 g whey isolate.

12:00 - turkey whole-wheat sandwich, 1 banana, 1 apple, gatorade.

4:00 - bowl of rice/ pasta (or a burger or something greasy)

6:00 - coke (a-cola) (before training)

8:00 - 52 g whey isolate, 5 g glutamine, 1 banana, skim milk

10:00 - 2 yams, 1 head of broccoli, 10 oz. steak (chicken breast)

12:00 - 24g casein with lots of water

i try to eat a lot, i feel like im eating all the time, ive tried to up the protein but i usually get a wicked case of the trots, but i guess that just comes with the territory.

is this not enough? not the right macro distribution?

thanks in advance for your help man, its much appreciated.

too lazy to count calories every day

there's your problem.

while I could tell you your estimated caloric intake and macro breakdown for the following diet you've listed, I feel it's counterproductive to your learning and suggest you do a bit of research and calculate those numbers yourself.

however, I will tell you that your macros are off. but that's not the only thing.

supsup-er meat heads

i have gained a belly over summer, and was wondering how i can lose it without losing muscle mass as well.

i understand to gain muscle mass, you must consume over 2500 calories (upwards of about 3000ish i hear) daily, of course in addition to lifting.

i'm not really super skinny, so i don't want to lose the muscle mass i have as i lose my stomach fat.

tl;dr - lose belly = less calories and lots of running. gain muscle = more calories and lots of lifting. how do i overcome this paradox