supermeatheads

kunk75

To add yet another question on here...

I'm trying to gain muscle but I still have some fat I want to get rid of and I REALLY don't want to gain much fat whilst bulking. I've read elsewhere to alternate every 2-3 weeks from a bulking diet to a cutting diet if the goal is to gain muscle AND lose fat. Is this true or am I getting completely the wrong information?

So this is kind of tangential (this is sort of the general workout thread for me now) – but I'm interested on going on the p90x program, anybody else interested in getting some community support going? Maybe a new thread dedicated to p90x and just being able to keep each other going on the program.

Also dayummmmm at some of you meatheads' stats.

Mr Chairybrown: I looked for vids of the specific ways I do these two excersises, but couldnt find jack. Your already familier with 2 of them, but I promised vids so there are vids...I absolutely suck at describing new excersises so if you need clarification, drop me a pm

These focus on an almost complete range of motion, and help to strengthen your rotator cuff as well

Heres one of the vids http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/cable-crossover . But what I do is set the cables at midway ( shoulder height|), lean forward and use balance and form to hold yourself straight ( ie keep your legs together shoudler width apart) . Also, keep your chin tucked up and your delts rolled back, focus mostly on your peak when your done your movement.

Also, dumbell flyes but with a bit of a twist. Keep your bench notched at the smallest incline it can be set to. Keep your arms hanging limp at your sides instead of sideways. Hold the weight straight outwards and raise them as high as they can go ( almost like your trying ot place a box on a high shelf while lying down). Keep your arms only moderatly bent while doing this and again focus on peak. Slow motion and control are key

One handed incline flyes but on a stability ball. Keep tension on your arms at all times ( ie dont rest the weight) Lift a full motion with one hand while the other holds position and then switch. I know thes eare generally done for the top of your chest, but I find when you throw a stability ball into the mix, this absoltuely brutalizes your stabilizer muscles. This increased my flat bench after sticking to this for a month

Natse: ( Nice to see you posting in this thread man) There are a million schools of thought on this method. Some state you are allowing your calorie starved body a break by only going three weeks ( therefore helping to keep mass) others state you will gain back everything you lost, as your body rushes to store the calories after such a long drought.

Personally, I would just slowly lower your caloric intake below maintanance levels by around 250 calories, make sure your carbs are whoel grain and unprocessed, and stop eating carbs after 7:00 every day.

Try that for a month to 2 months and see how lean you are getting. I have had great results from this method ( especially cutting out late night carbs) and I still kept all my strength but lost 12 poounds of fat over 4 months.

Man...cutup is so fucking helpful. I hope people overload him with rep.

Anyway, how do people feel about using hydrolyzed whey or casein or peptopro instead of just whey isolate pre/post workout?

Thanks man, thats really decent of you to say. I really enjoy helping people in regards to training ( and debating about methods ect) I dont view it as a chore.

Whey isolate is still the quickest way to recover from a workout, bar none. But during the rest of the day, a blend of caesin and whey ( whether isolate or not) is a great idea. Just be sure to up your intake slightly, as concentrate/blends and the like dont get absorbed as well as pure isolate

I've done cable flyes before, but haven't been useful in the strength transferring over to my flat barbell bench - probably because the motion is too isolated (very little tricep involvement).

I will however give the alternated dumbbell flyes a try because I'm more inclined to free weights.

thanks for the info.

Sup chairy and cutup.

What's your para workout nutrition like?

I only ask because Ive been reading about others opinions but you guys are huge so I'd trust what you'd say over some other dudes on bodybuilding fora.

"para"? I'm going to assume it was a typo for "post" haha :)

I have two different ways I do it depending on my finances. first one is if I've got a little excess dough to spend on supplements. but I don't think either makes a huge difference.

first way

- directly after my workout I take 10g glutamine, 10g taurine, 8g creatine ethyl ester, 2g beta alanine

- 15 minutes later I take 35g whey isolate and 75-100g high glycemic carbs

second way

- directly after my workout I take 60g whey isolate and 75-100g high glycemic carbs

my source of high glycemic carbs usually come from sugary kids cereals with little to no fiber and fairly low fat content (<= 1g fat per serving).

although it costs a tad more, it tastes better than doing a mix of maltodextrin and dextrose - which I don't mind either.

most posters on bodybuilding forums have no idea what they're talking about, but most of the guys over at ironaddict.com really know their stuff.

in addition, for anyone to give advice on that forum you have to be approved to be advanced by the admin by sending in pictures of yourself and videos of your lifts.

Yeah zubins swole too, his opinion would be helpful.

And I meant para :P

It includes pre/during/post workout nutrition.

EDIT : just read this off ironaddicts when I googled para

"It's funny how someone dubbed PWO "para" workout nutrition. I guess if they make it sound fancy they can push more supps?"

guess it's just a t-nation thing

Yeah zubins swole too, his opinion would be helpful.

And I meant para :P

It includes pre/during/post workout nutrition.

EDIT : just read this off ironaddicts when I googled para

"It's funny how someone dubbed PWO "para" workout nutrition. I guess if they make it sound fancy they can push more supps?"

guess it's just a t-nation thing

haha well for pre-workout I do the following:

- one hour before I intake..

- 1g chocamine

- 2g alcar

- 2g beta-alanine

- 7g CEE

- 1/2 tsp idebenone

during the workout

- 10g glutamine

- 10g tauring

no problem man. that board is extremely helpful to simplify things that many people tend to over-complicate.

Haha at the end of the day, it stressed me out a bit more.

I'm gonna be follwing your advice along with IA's advice. Dude is smart.

So after tons of reading and shit, I finally got the whole workout nutrition down pack.

Butttt I'd still like your opinion (sorry dude, I'll buy you a shirt or something, just pick out one and link me.)

Pre workout stim/energy boost(1 hour before)

Alcar - 2g

Idebenone - 100mgs

L-Tyrosine - 3g

Chocomine - 1g

Beta-Alanine - 2.5g

Citrulline Malate - 6g

Creatine - 7g

Preworkout

Glutamine - 10g

Taurine - 3g

EAAs - 10g

During workout

BCAA - 30g

Post workout

Dextrose/Malto - 70g

Whey - 50g

Creatine - 7g

Post workout meal(hour later)

Some carb (oats)

Some protein (eggs)

i usually just down a bunch of eggs an milk

And i'm gonna follow IA's advice of 5g of glut/eaa/bcaa/taurine before at least 3 meals each day.

I hate how I'm overcomplicating this shit since I have no access to weights right now.

also, from what I remember, zubin is fairly big so I'd like for him to chime in about his post-workout supplementation too.

haha thanks for the kind words....

Honestly, when it comes to supplementation I am completely lost. I unfortunately never took it upon myself to really research into it.

With that being said, I normally dont use any supplementation. I used to take a pre-workout (vasocor) but that fucked with my skin too much so i cut it out.

Now I just take 2 kre-alkalyn pills pre-workout. Post work out i'll take 2 scoops of ON's pro complex protein with a scoop of waxy maize (i hardly use waxy maize anymore)

I haven't been to the gym since monday. This RC has got to get checked out sooner than later.

Haha at the end of the day, it stressed me out a bit more.

I'm gonna be follwing your advice along with IA's advice. Dude is smart.

So after tons of reading and shit, I finally got the whole workout nutrition down pack.

Butttt I'd still like your opinion (sorry dude, I'll buy you a shirt or something, just pick out one and link me.)

Pre workout stim/energy boost(1 hour before)

Alcar - 2g

Idebenone - 100mgs

L-Tyrosine - 3g

Chocomine - 1g

Beta-Alanine - 2.5g

Citrulline Malate - 6g

Creatine - 7g

Preworkout

Glutamine - 10g

Taurine - 3g

EAAs - 10g

During workout

BCAA - 30g

Post workout

Dextrose/Malto - 70g

Whey - 50g

Creatine - 7g

Post workout meal(hour later)

Some carb (oats)

Some protein (eggs)

i usually just down a bunch of eggs an milk

And i'm gonna follow IA's advice of 5g of glut/eaa/bcaa/taurine before at least 3 meals each day.

I hate how I'm overcomplicating this shit since I have no access to weights right now.

I tried l-tyrosine a couple years ago for a few months, but I didn't see any changes to my workouts as a result from taking it. however, you may have a different reaction to it.

I would probably start off with 1.5g of beta-alanine and add 0.5g progressively until you feel it's the right amount. I can't do anything over 2g at a time because I get intense tingly sensations on my head and arms to the point that it feels like blunt needles haha

beyond that everything looks good if you don't have a problem dropping dough on those all those supplements.

I forgot to mention, I do the 10g glutamine and 5g taurine 15 minutes before 3 of my meals.

fuck, I wish I could afford EAAs, but that stuff costs an arm and a leg and all of my supplements already hurt the bank :(

haha thanks for the kind words....

Honestly, when it comes to supplementation I am completely lost. I unfortunately never took it upon myself to really research into it.

With that being said, I normally dont use any supplementation. I used to take a pre-workout (vasocor) but that fucked with my skin too much so i cut it out.

Now I just take 2 kre-alkalyn pills pre-workout. Post work out i'll take 2 scoops of ON's pro complex protein with a scoop of waxy maize (i hardly use waxy maize anymore)

I haven't been to the gym since monday. This RC has got to get checked out sooner than later.

I like shit like this too, creatine/similar product pre-workout and whey/simple carbs post-workout.

I'd do the exact same thing with some taurine and bcaa's thrown in if I weren't so OCD (doctor says I should be on medication lol)

hey F2D, you might find it 1g of chocamine to be lacking and will probably need about 2g.I need about 2-2.5g to have a nice effect on me since caffeine and caffeine-like substances don't affect me too much. e.g., I can usually down a half liter of diet coke or a coffee and fall asleep with little trouble.

I tried l-tyrosine a couple years ago for a few months, but I didn't see any changes to my workouts as a result from taking it. however, you may have a different reaction to it.

I would probably start off with 1.5g of beta-alanine and add 0.5g progressively until you feel it's the right amount. I can't do anything over 2g at a time because I get intense tingly sensations on my head and arms to the point that it feels like blunt needles haha

beyond that everything looks good if you don't have a problem dropping dough on those all those supplements.

I forgot to mention, I do the 10g glutamine and 5g taurine 15 minutes before 3 of my meals.

fuck, I wish I could afford EAAs, but that stuff costs an arm and a leg and all of my supplements already hurt the bank :(

Yeah dude I'm taking a 300 dolllar plunge buying all these supps.

Granted, they'll last me a few (3-4) months, but still.

Been a purple belt now for about 8 months. Gaining muscle/losing fat is probably about 50/50 about vanity and helping my performance in BJJ right now. I've never been even slightly athletic (I was the kid at school getting notes from home so he could sit out of gym class) and I definitely feel it holds me back in BJJ.