supermeatheads

kunk75

taking a short break for this thanksgiving weekend then planning to take a longer ~3 week break during winter break. i have at least one protein shake every day in the morning after waking up, 3 on lifting days. should i continue taking my morning shake while on a break? i will probably be doing a lot of cardio during the winter time just to get my blood pumping.

taking a short break for this thanksgiving weekend then planning to take a longer ~3 week break during winter break. i have at least one protein shake every day in the morning after waking up, 3 on lifting days. should i continue taking my morning shake while on a break? i will probably be doing a lot of cardio during the winter time just to get my blood pumping.

Always continue drinking protein

I would stick to your 3 a day routine even when you are taking time off. It helps to retain muscle and ensure growth even though your not lifting

• 2 weeks later...
I think Saturate <==> Loading

Anyone here do muscle-ups?

Muscle-up.gif

Pretty intense. I can do them on rings, but i think I've done like 3 in my life on a bar

I do horizontal muscle ups on rings but never tried them on a bar... pretty sure I lack whatever muscle you need to keep moving in between the pull and the push :P

it happens to me to. it's the same effect as when you stand up too fast and you get dizzy. maybe youre doing your reps too fast?

on that note...my ear pops after a good work out, i've been meaning to ask my doctor but i keep on forgetting whenever i give him a visit. does any body else have this? ear popping like when youre descending in an elevator. It's not an easy ear pop to get rid of (lack of better phrasing), it won't go away even if i swallow my saliva or drink water. it eventually goes away after an hour or so, but within that hour i sound like a retard...

i get a little dizzy after a set of squats

it goes away after about a minute though

is this normal? if so, what to do?

if this isnt normal... what to do?

i dont think i breathe right (especially when i try to breathe right) (2)

Completely normal

Your legs are your largest muscle, and when you squat your body sends most of the blood to your legs. This can deprive your brain of the required amount of oxygenated blood and cause dizziness

Breathe out forcefully when you stand up, and exhale forcefully when you drop, this will help your strength as well by helping to stabilize your core ( due to the tightening of your stomach)

Does anyone have any tips on doing dead lifts? Dead lifts work out your whole back correct? I saw some dead lift videos on youtube, but i still think i'm doing it wrong. Anyone have any good tutorial videos for it?

Since we're talking about squatings, i wanted to ask if it works out your whole body? I was once told that squating not only works out your legs, but also your back and biceps too.

when i breathe out i do breathe pretty 'forcefully'

are you saying to exhale going down and up? i usually try to exhale only going up, but i think i end up exhaling going down and up anyway

Inhale at your peak and on the way down, push out as you push up from a squatted position

You should have exhaled almost all of your air by the time you are standing straight up again

it happens to me to. it's the same effect as when you stand up too fast and you get dizzy. maybe youre doing your reps too fast?

on that note...my ear pops after a good work out, i've been meaning to ask my doctor but i keep on forgetting whenever i give him a visit. does any body else have this? ear popping like when youre descending in an elevator. It's not an easy ear pop to get rid of (lack of better phrasing), it won't go away even if i swallow my saliva or drink water. it eventually goes away after an hour or so, but within that hour i sound like a retard...

my friend gets that same exact problem. crazy. i think it has something to do with your blood pressure shooting up during heavy exercise. not sure though

Does anyone have any tips on doing dead lifts? Dead lifts work out your whole back correct? I saw some dead lift videos on youtube, but i still think i'm doing it wrong. Anyone have any good tutorial videos for it?

Since we're talking about squatings, i wanted to ask if it works out your whole body? I was once told that squating not only works out your legs, but also your back and biceps too.

Deadlifts primarily workout your lowerback and hamstrings, but your quads and trapezius are involved as well (the function of the trapezius is to help keep you entire body upright, so the deadlift is a better workout for it than shrugs).

For form you want to keep your back straight and drive through your heels (not your toes). keep your head up and it will help keep your back straight. I don't have a good video to fall back on though.

For a fuller back also do some rows, T-bar pulls, pull-ups, etc.

Squatting sort of works out your whole body in that you're tense. Your core is certainly heavily involved. It also stimulates your entire body to repair muscles since youre working your largest muscle group (legs)

For Squatting:

Dizziness is pretty normal. It's caused when you're holding your breath and then do the rep. One way to help remedy this is slowly exhale as you do your rep. You should just be out of breath at the top.

The muscles in Deadlift:

Def true that it'll work mainly legs and back, but the main other muscle groups will be trapezius, forearms, lats, and abs. The abs will help stabilize.

The muscles in Squat:

Mainly just legs and lower back. The traps and lats need to be strong to be more stabilized, but I don't think that you'll get in any better condition.

I used to have to sit down for a few minutes after squatting because fo dizziness, now I'm stuck with using the leg press machine. Might be able to move to a better gym in the new year and start squatting again though.

No squat rack Natse?

That sucks, squats are like THE leg builder

Hows the BJJ coming along?

They don't even have anywhere to bench apart from 2 smith machines and I'm now lifting the whole stack on the leg press so the situation is getting desperate.

Could try hack squats with a barbell? Or pistol squats with dumbbells ...

I was always able to get some kind of free weight leg exercise even in the most trendy (read: pansy) of hotel fitness centers

Though if your gym doesn't have a barbell or dumbbells or free weights of any kind you may need to start lifting the machines. :P