supermeatheads

kunk75

^ Huge difference, especially depending on how much you smoke

I bust through all of my plateaus with a vengence after I quit years ago. Smoking not only puts poison through youre bloodstream ( obviously a bad thing) but it also constricts blood vessles ( lower nutrient absorbtion) and robs your blood of oxygen

And it goes without saying that anything that effects breathing kills your endurance.

• 3 weeks later...

It took me about a year, but I went from a stout 220 last May and now I'm at about 172. All diet and hitting the gym about 5 times a week plus I took up running. Im thinking of dropping about 5 or 6 more pounds and starting a clean bulk program. Then begins the process of trying to find a good program I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To bump this, I'm sure people will say there are better ways to work out, but... I've been doing P90X for about 3 weeks now and I'm seeing pretty good results so far. Gaining some muscle, leaning up and finding I have more strength for BJJ.

i was doing insanity workout for about 3 weeks-- its pretty much all cardio. although since i do inside my house without shoes, my calves have gotten significantly stronger.

there was a guy at my BJJ school who did P90x.. at first i called him big ben because he was fat.

now hes just buff ben.

I put on over 30lbs over the last 2 years and am now 235lb and desperate to get rid of it.

Started at the gym 3-4 times a week - 1 hour weights/1 hour cardio.

Just need to work on improving my diet. I asked the people at the gym but didn't get much from them. Really just wanna know what sort of things I should be eating for weight loss.

My current diet...

Breakfast:

Cereal

Banana

Lunch: Can't change - Japanese school lunch (800-850 calories)

Rice

Soup

Vege

Fish/Chicken/Pork

Dinner:

Started taking Hydroxycut Advanced when I started at the gym and take 2 before I go to the gym at 4:30pm. Think it's killing my appetite because I don't wanna eat when I come home. I know it's not good to skip meals but since I'm trying to lose weight, if I'm not hungry it's hard to force myself to eat. Just been having a protein shake with a banana :o

What kind of stuff should I be eating at breakfast/dinner? Protein? Carbs? Fats? All of them together?

Also...felt no bad side effects from the Hydroxycut Advanced, actually haven't felt anything at all aside from the loss of appetite. Has anyone used it? Wondering if I should just stop taking it when I'm finished the bottle.

I've just started a lifting routine (for the first time in over 3 years) that puts me through a four day rotation, since lacrosse is over, to help build muscle and speed. Day 1: Push (bench, tricep, shoulders, etc) Day 2: Pull (back, biceps, etc.) Day 3: Legs (squat, leg curls, lunges, etc.) and Day 4: Run (doesn't matter what, or how, just run. could be going for a run along the Portland Waterfront, or play some basketball, football, a real game of ultimate frisbee, whatever). I also picked up some AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 from the local GNC (it's better than muscle milk or that kind of "slow protein" because it's a fast absorbing protein, according to the guy working there, and i take it right before and no longer than 30 minutes after my workouts), along with a small tub of l-glutamine powder and some fish oils. Only downside to the Extreme 60 is the high price tag. since i've only been on it about a week, i'm not able to say what the results are yet.

anyone have any suggestions to improve what i'm doing? i'm 6'1" and 200 lbs. and am trying to burn fat, lose weight (want to be at 185), and gain muscle, like everyone else in the world, hahaha.

I put on over 30lbs over the last 2 years and am now 235lb and desperate to get rid of it.

Started at the gym 3-4 times a week - 1 hour weights/1 hour cardio.

Just need to work on improving my diet. I asked the people at the gym but didn't get much from them. Really just wanna know what sort of things I should be eating for weight loss.

My current diet...

Breakfast:

Cereal

Banana

Lunch: Can't change - Japanese school lunch (800-850 calories)

Rice

Soup

Vege

Fish/Chicken/Pork

Dinner:

Started taking Hydroxycut Advanced when I started at the gym and take 2 before I go to the gym at 4:30pm. Think it's killing my appetite because I don't wanna eat when I come home. I know it's not good to skip meals but since I'm trying to lose weight, if I'm not hungry it's hard to force myself to eat. Just been having a protein shake with a banana :o

What kind of stuff should I be eating at breakfast/dinner? Protein? Carbs? Fats? All of them together?

Also...felt no bad side effects from the Hydroxycut Advanced, actually haven't felt anything at all aside from the loss of appetite. Has anyone used it? Wondering if I should just stop taking it when I'm finished the bottle.

Don't take hydroxycut....If you need an energy boost, try caffeine/yohimbine hcl. fat loss and weight boost. I think people usually take caffeine/yohimbine hcl and asprin together. I forgot the ratio however, its online somewhere.

What is your workout plan like?

I understand if you can't get all your meals in, it's alright. Just try to have 4-5 meals a day. If you can't do it while at school, just have them after school. Small meals. Try to eat atkins for most of the day, protein/fat. For breakfast, you can have carbs. Also around your workout window you can have carbs. But try to keep carbs at a minimum.

Also, since youre a big dude, try to keep your carbs sources from oatmeal mostly. But I understand you can avoid rice, so thats fine. Just try to stay away from carbs mostly.

Cut out the bananas , there are better fruits out there that arent just pure sugar.

aleopold

save your money, dont buy from GNC.

www.nutraplanet.com

www.allthewhey.com

www.musclegaugenutrition.com (or musclegauge.com idk)

just make sure youre doing heavy compound lifts and you should be good.

you dont need l-glutamine, just like you dont need NO products. cut that out.

As for warm ups...you guys should do some jogging, and halos

except you can use 25 pound weight instead of the kettleball.

^ So, you're saying that I don't really need to take anything? Just lift and run? Just making sure I understand when you say "NO" and that doesn't stand for something else.

Don't take hydroxycut....If you need an energy boost, try caffeine/yohimbine hcl. fat loss and weight boost. I think people usually take caffeine/yohimbine hcl and asprin together. I forgot the ratio however, its online somewhere.

Thanks I'll have a go at sourcing some here locally in Japan when I'm done with this bottle of Hydroxycut.

What is your workout plan like?

Gym staff weren't very helpful when it came to making me a program, They just made sure I knew how to use about 5-6 machines and told me to use light load and 3 sets of 10-15 reps, do an hour of cardio and then sent me on my way.

So I just do approx an hour on the machines working legs, abs and upper body (lat pulls, chest press, shoulder press) Light Load 3x15.

Following that I do hour of cardio on the treadmil/cross-trainer.

Seems to be working ok for now, lost a bit of weight in the two weeks since I started but since I'm putting my time into going I wouldn't mind getting a proper workout plan suited to what I want. Bit hard to get from the gym staff when no-one speaks English and my Japanese is too shit to say everything I want when it comes to talking about fitness stuff.

Just want to lose the fat and improve strength. No bulk.

^ So, you're saying that I don't really need to take anything? Just lift and run? Just making sure I understand when you say "NO" and that doesn't stand for something else.

Yep. And by NO I meant N.O. products, like N.O. xplode and other bullshit.

10chars

Fuck that shit. Ditch the machines.

Just watch your diet, and make sure to do heavy compound lifts (if your goal is just to lose weight)

To be honest, there are tons of different programs you could do. But I find it best if you just make sure to get the heavy lifts in.

Squats/Deadlifts/Bench Press/Barbell Rows/Military Press/Dips/Pull Ups and other ones that stress your entire body and force it to work in unison. Machines will only take you so far.

To be honest though, I started out as a 120lb shrimp looking to put on armor. I was 120 1 year and a half ago, now I'm 180 and I've gained quite a wealth of knowledge. So I feel a former fat boy would be able to give better advice on how to lose weight.

Look up

-starting strength

-precision nutrition

or just go on t-nation and look up fat loss tips and stuff.

I've also heard from others that N.O. Explode is awful, and I'd never even give it a chance. hahaha. thanks for the tips though F2D.

I am doing stronglifts (since April)

I weigh 66kg (up from 60kg)

Squat 87.5kg (up from 40kg)

Deadlift 70kg (up from 40kg)

Overhead Press 42.5kg (up from 20kg)

Bench 55kg (up from 20kg)

all 5 x 5

dips I do with 25kg weight in a backpack

pulls/chins 3 x F

inverted rows 3 x F

I take fish oil and protein powder.

My diet is pretty good have about 4 meals a day, workout 3 times a week and have a shake after each workout. I should probably do some cardio too.

Stronglifts has been really good, and I haven't yet missed a workout, I would recommend either stronglifts or starting strength,

http://stronglifts.com/ - lots of good info there.

FadeToDarkness

I know fuck all about weight training and yet still had a feeling the guys at the gym hadn't given me the best kind of program suited to what I want, so thanks yo! Will also have a read up on the stuff you suggested and see what I can come up with too.