supermeatheads

kunk75

Well it seems I won't be doing more than a week of bulking at a time, 6 days of a bulking diet has seen me go from 78kg to 82.6kg. I'm a bit scared to carry it on for more than a week without dieting afterwards!

water weight man. more carbs = more water.

Guest on-display
So this is kind of tangential (this is sort of the general workout thread for me now) – but I'm interested on going on the p90x program, anybody else interested in getting some community support going? Maybe a new thread dedicated to p90x and just being able to keep each other going on the program.

Also dayummmmm at some of you meatheads' stats.

I just downloaded the p90x dvds and I'm interested in trying it. To those that have done p90x did you cop the adjustable dumbbells? Spending 4 bills on dumbbells is deterring me from giving it a start

p90x is a great program to do if your not into fitness, as in never took it seriously your whole life and never have really been interested. it was my precursor before i started doing a lot of cross-fit exercises but to get best results you need to follow the nutrition side of it to a T my friend didn't and got so-so results. also its mainly for cutting weight reason why i stopped was cause i lost a lot of strength

^If you can afford them then I'd get them but it doesn't sound like you can. I would instead try and get some dumbells with quick release collars, it's really annoying to have to stop multiple times to change the weights around otherwise. I've been making do with whatever I can find, including duct taping weights together...

^ Its excellant because it keeps the body guessing, constant change is key to growth, as the body adapts very quickly

It is probably the only program that has come out within the last 10 years that lives up to its hype if done properly. Do it on the regular with a change in diet, and you will get excellant gains/losses

Just be prepared that change slows down quite rapidly after the first 3-6 months. You always see your biggest gains in the beggining, so dont be discouraged if they slow considerably afterwards

^ Its excellant because it keeps the body guessing, constant change is key to growth, as the body adapts very quickly

It is probably the only program that has come out within the last 10 years that lives up to its hype if done properly. Do it on the regular with a change in diet, and you will get excellant gains/losses

Just be prepared that change slows down quite rapidly after the first 3-6 months. You always see your biggest gains in the beggining, so dont be discouraged if they slow considerably afterwards

I kind of hate it , simply because all my friends that DONT love lifting yet know I do constantly advise me to do p90x. And I hate the marketing behind it "GET CUT IN TWO WEEKS! MUSCLE CONFUSION!" etc etc. And I hate anyone that charges for a routine that isn't individualized.

Examples being - P90x dude, Arnel Ricafranca, and others like them.

But when my friends tell me about it, I tell them it won't give me the results I'm looking for, and they'll respond with something along the lines of "yes it will" or "lol what do you mean all my friends got BROLIC off it."

And these are the friends that consider me "huge", when I'm clearly fucking tiny.

Of course it works, but then again EVERY program works and some are better than others, depending on your goals.

inakorechard put it best.

Truth ^ I am reffering to newbies wanting to get a good basic start, definitly not intended for full time gym goers

I am hoping no one is stupid enough to beleive the full marketing push behind it, but it does work wonders in a small amount of time. Far better I find then people going to the gym to start off, because people who do p90x can do it at home where thery are more comfortable

Its kind of like the same bullshit with supplement companies who use massive juice pigs to push their brand of creatine ect. The inference is " this is what you will look like in 2 months if you you use our brand"

I know I'm in the minority but I always do my cardio first, which is typically a hard 30 minutes on a stationary bike. I know that it probably keeps me from lifting as much as I would if I hit the weights first, but I like being fully warmed up and having a good sweat going before I lift. Also, I know that if I waited until after the weights to try and do my cardio I would end up blowing it off a lot of the time, this way I never skip it.

cardio before or after lifting?

Always after IMO . You want all your pent up energy to be used when you have to make big lifts.

I have only seen otherwise when people are working on their endurance/circuit training , and building muscle is a secondary goal.

Even then I still prefer it beforehand

just to cut down fat and achieve a more lean look.

I would keep cardio to the days your not training. low-impact cardio.

30-40 each session is plenty.

it's mainly dependent on diet, so cardio is only there to supplement that.

heck, I just started doing cardio recently because I have so much off time and strangely enough, I'm not as lean as I was when I didn't do a drop of cardio.

I might actually quit doing cardio soon.

How much time would you give yourself to shred up for summer?

I'm in Australia and it has only just started winter but my brother has bulked up quite a bit and he plans on leaning down in a few weeks for some event (defqon) but i don't know if he wants to completely shred for that event which is in september. should i join the band wagon and try to lean down then too and stay lean through summer? mind you i'm about 169cm and 68 +/- 1kg.

Adding to the hefty amount of questions posted on this thread, I was wondering if anyone here has given the Rippetoe Program a try (or have tried it when they started lifting)? The search function didn't turn up with anything and I'm curious as to what some of you (what sounds like intermediate to advance lifters) think about the program?

It's logic defying to a lot of lifters, for obvious reasons, and even the trainers to the gym to I go to give me the occasional "???" when they see that I'm only doing 3-4 (5, at most) workouts every session. I've been tempted the last week or two to add additional workouts, mostly because I haven't seen as much development in the areas that I would've wanted.

Not that it isn't working, I'm at the point where I'm beginning to lift weights that even surprise myself. What I guess I'm trying to do is pin-point the weakest link in my routine, and I want to be sure that the program isn't to blame before I start troubleshooting other things. i.e. Nutrition (Lots of canned tuna, milk, cereal, brown rice), Supplements (Non-existent, apprehensive on which is the appropriate one to try as a starter).

And for convenient reference, here.

I was wondering if anyone knew exercises that will help me balance out my abs. It is strange because I have noticeable 3 pack on my left side but on my right side it is just flat.

Also, anyone know good exercises for leaner thighs, I do not want to have bulky muscular thighs anymore.

hmmm i'm not sure where i'm at but i'm guessing in the teens (probs mid-high teens).

what percentage would 'shredded' be?

mid-high teens, you'd need at least a couple months of cutting to get pretty lean. "shredded" is really hard to define since some people view that look differently and, more so, the percentage is dependent on the individual. example, I start looking fairly lean (all 6 abs and some veins across my quads) around 10%. and I look a step up on the lean ladder, when I'm at about 7% when I can see veins coming up on my lower abs.

Adding to the hefty amount of questions posted on this thread, I was wondering if anyone here has given the Rippetoe Program a try (or have tried it when they started lifting)? The search function didn't turn up with anything and I'm curious as to what some of you (what sounds like intermediate to advance lifters) think about the program?

It's logic defying to a lot of lifters, for obvious reasons, and even the trainers to the gym to I go to give me the occasional "???" when they see that I'm only doing 3-4 (5, at most) workouts every session. I've been tempted the last week or two to add additional workouts, mostly because I haven't seen as much development in the areas that I would've wanted.

Not that it isn't working, I'm at the point where I'm beginning to lift weights that even surprise myself. What I guess I'm trying to do is pin-point the weakest link in my routine, and I want to be sure that the program isn't to blame before I start troubleshooting other things. i.e. Nutrition (Lots of canned tuna, milk, cereal, brown rice), Supplements (Non-existent, apprehensive on which is the appropriate one to try as a starter).

And for convenient reference, here.

not very logic defying at all to any veteran lifter. it's basically a low-volume, high-intensity lifting routine. the best kind of routines for most people, imo.

mid-high teens, you'd need at least a couple months of cutting to get pretty lean. "shredded" is really hard to define since some people view that look differently and, more so, the percentage is dependent on the individual. example, I start looking fairly lean (all 6 abs and some veins across my quads) around 10%. and I look a step up on the lean ladder, when I'm at about 7% when I can see veins coming up on my lower abs.

I'm not sure what i'm at exactly but i guess it doesn't hurt to start early. At the moment when i pump veins pop out a fair bit on my arms/chest but that's because with my genetics most of my fat is stored in my legs i guess oh and i am pumping.... Man, getting veins showing through my legs/abs, that's going to be tough. I think i'm probably just looking at around 10% body fat, at 7 i might as well compete haha but that'd just be a waste of money because I'm too small.

cheers for the tips mrchariybrown :D

I need some advice on losing fat. Aside from lifting weights often, I run and do cardio (I run about 4 times a week at approximately 4 miles each time) and I feel like I'm not seeing any results (at about a month now - month and a half). My diet is good I'd say - rarely any fast food or fried foods

I'm fairly lean (5'6, 135 lbs) and have that athletic build but I would like some more advice on getting 'cut' or get more muscle definition. Should I start taking any weight-loss supplements? Are they effective? I've been hearing about hydroxycut but searching up reviews online I've heard there is also a lot of side effects.

I have never taken supplements before, all I ever have before and after workouts is just water