College Acceptance Letters

Mr Calvin Oscar

My school does "Learning Communities", so I've got a bunch of classes with a similar focus. My "learning community", is as follows:

"Are you interested in learning new ways to think, communicate and make a difference in the world? This learning community explores past and present to reveal how encounters with diversity--between people of different race, religion, class, gender and ability--create opportunities for both creativity and conflict--in the arts, the classroom, the boardroom and the streets. We will examine the power of critical thinking and visual culture through revolution, industrial and technological development, colonialism, war and holocaust to the present day. We will debate how different perspectives on philosophies of interactive and visualized learning can enhance our lives, build our skills and facilitate social responsibilities toward different communities. By participating in the award-winning program "Connect with Art," teaching literacy, art and history to third graders at P.S. 57, students will have a chance to harness their own talents for the public good."

And my classes are as follows:

Ways of Knowing - Philosophy kinda stuff I guess

Modern Western Civ

Drawing I

Reflective Tutorial

dunno how its gonna turn out. I'll se when I get there.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My school does "Learning Communities", so I've got a bunch of classes with a similar focus. My "learning community", is as follows:

"Are you interested in learning new ways to think, communicate and make a difference in the world? This learning community explores past and present to reveal how encounters with diversity--between people of different race, religion, class, gender and ability--create opportunities for both creativity and conflict--in the arts, the classroom, the boardroom and the streets. We will examine the power of critical thinking and visual culture through revolution, industrial and technological development, colonialism, war and holocaust to the present day. We will debate how different perspectives on philosophies of interactive and visualized learning can enhance our lives, build our skills and facilitate social responsibilities toward different communities. By participating in the award-winning program "Connect with Art," teaching literacy, art and history to third graders at P.S. 57, students will have a chance to harness their own talents for the public good."

And my classes are as follows:

Ways of Knowing - Philosophy kinda stuff I guess

Modern Western Civ

Drawing I

Reflective Tutorial

dunno how its gonna turn out. I'll se when I get there.

my school had civ too. that class sucked

Anyone have advice for people taking the CC then transfer route? I really want a EECS degree from Cal, but there's no way I'm getting in.

what i got from other transferees was that... never go out and have fun. just study and work hard because it'll pay off in 2 years. sure you can go watch a movie or something.. but just dont let it get out of hand. make sure you do the bestyou can or you wont get to the top school you can.

you can go from a cc to any top school... just work hard for it and show it.

your gpa should def. be above 3.5 to have a really good shot at things.

i know that california collegse have transfer agreements so you may wanna look into that. and word of advice: don't change your major alot ... you wont have time to flip flop around. choose wisely

what i got from other transferees was that... never go out and have fun. just study and work hard because it'll pay off in 2 years. sure you can go watch a movie or something.. but just dont let it get out of hand. make sure you do the bestyou can or you wont get to the top school you can.

you can go from a cc to any top school... just work hard for it and show it.

your gpa should def. be above 3.5 to have a really good shot at things.

i know that california collegse have transfer agreements so you may wanna look into that. and word of advice: don't change your major alot ... you wont have time to flip flop around. choose wisely

Yeah I've researched all the transfer guarantee stuff and am definitely sticking with electrical engineering or computer engineering if I don't get into Berkeley. Damn I guess I'm going to have to start really dedicating my time to school now. Time to pull out the Adderall :P

Guest No Handclaps Please

well seems like that other guy up there got in..and im going to stern. im new to dressing well/ out of the ordinary so all i really have to offer is jawns. if i see you on the streets ill yell your name or something. you'll look around but you wont know who i am. mad jawn wearers at nyu i assume. ill make sure to wear shorts just in case.

Anyone have advice for people taking the CC then transfer route? I really want a EECS degree from Cal, but there's no way I'm getting in.

I was accepted to the EECS program way back in the day.

People seemed generally smart.

Recommend you get your SAT IIs especially advanced Math and Physics/Chemistry/etc., at 700+.

I think top grades at a CC won't be enough.

Probably supplement your CC education w/ research at a local college focused in tech.

a letter of recommendation from Woz might help, but in my opinion it's probably better just to apply to some of the lesser UCs. you want to enjoy your first two years of college and not have to worry about trying to get in to a top school. that's high school shit.

if you're really set on cal eecs, do what rajio and misterko said. one thing that i found helped me in the admissions process at american schools (not cal, but other top 25s) was being able to show examples of your work in the area and getting letters from people in the field (if they accept letters from people other than teachers). for me it was some programs i had written and a letter from my neighbor (an mit grad) who lied for me ;)

that was all pretty much a waste of time though because i ended up deciding on a software engineering program in canada. fuck the american college admissions process.

the earning potential is great

Haha. Maybe back in 1994-1999!

Remember the billion Indians/Chinese who will competing for your job for 1/4th the wage.

Give thanks to globalization!

Also, arranged marriage is an amazing cultural paradigm.

If means they have no qualms working 18-hour work days and having no social life!

If you go into computer science make sure to find a niche and focus on the research component. Get a masters or ph.d. if possible, otherwise you're gonna get squeezed out.

ooh thats cool, yeah if you got 5's on the practice ones you are more than likely to get a 4/5 on the actual ap test. my teacher is actually a pioneer in the comp sci field but to bad she got no handle on her class :rolleyes:

we played doom II lan 24/7:cool:

funny thing was when you could name characters and you shot someone wiht a shotgun it would say:

_____ blew a load of buckshot on ______

and as usual we put in teacher names.

If you go into computer science make sure to find a niche and focus on the research component. Get a masters or ph.d. if possible, otherwise you're gonna get squeezed out.

what rajio says is truth. my friends papi works for sun microsystems and hes taking evening classes for his masters so he will last longer in the game and not face possible off sea competition

Going in to Georgia Tech as an undecided engineering major... Leaning towards Industrial or Mechanical...any one with experience in choosing between different engineering majors? I was thinking possibly Chemical as well, but I've been made to swear I'll never do such a thing...

Tech has the #1 Industrial Engineering school in the country and its Mech E program is in the top 10, but does the individual school/degrees national standing/ranking matter that much when you're done with school?

Either way my schedule looks like:

Math 1102 (Calc II)

Phys 1101

English 1102

CS for Engineers

and one fluff class...Psych maybe?

• 2 months later...