College Acceptance Letters

Mr Calvin Oscar

No questions here.

I have several friends who go to Iowa, & I've visted more times than I can count. The town really isn't bad at all, especially for being in this state. Drinking is a big past-time of mine, but I've found lots of other stuff to entertain myself with. Red Poppy & The Picador are great. Have you been to the Chait Gallery? I might be working there over the summer/next year.

My major is art history (with a museum studies certificate) and French. I plan on transfering, though. I actually went to the Iowa Young Writers' Studio a couple summers back, which is a high skool version of the graduate's program. Good stuff.

i havent been to the chait, from what i've heard/seen, the town is much more art and creativity oriented in the summer than it is when school is in session, when it's a college town and has everything that goes along with that (aka drinking). i visited once while school was in session and once over the summer for orientation and there was a gallery walk and a bunch of other cool stuff going on. the school sponsored art museum is actually pretty dope, and the art building is by far the coolest building on campus, for what it's worth, but i'm sure you knew all that.

from my experience, the bars are really a positive your first couple months, and then if you care at all about school, you go out 1-3 nights a week instead of 6 and things settle down. it's nice to have them there when you want to go out and not have to depend on a frat party or whatever. there is usually something going down, even if it is just playing hoops or whatever. there's also suprisingly good music that comes through that town, i've seen girl talk, wilco, and a few other bands (ghengis tron!) and the misson creek festival looks pretty good too.

overall i have no complaints about my school and would highly recommend it to anyone. you aren't gonna get the big city culture but i came from seattle so its kind of nice to live in a smaller town and go back to a bigger one when i get bored.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i visited once while school was in session and once over the summer for orientation and there was a gallery walk and a bunch of other cool stuff going on. the school sponsored art museum is actually pretty dope, and the art building is by far the coolest building on campus

I agree. Did you see the VOOM Portraits? I think today was the last day it was at the museum.

there's also suprisingly good music that comes through that town, i've seen girl talk, wilco, and a few other bands (ghengis tron!) and the misson creek festival looks pretty good too.

I've seen The Plot to Blow Up The Effiel Tower, The Blood Brothers, Murder By Death at The Picador. Really good times.

we have some random museums (one of them has that huge 75652454 million dollar jackson pollock)

It's at the UIMA. Second-highest insured object in the state of Iowa.

• 1 month later...
anybody graduated/know anyone who graduated Claremont McKenna? I'm applying next year and really liked the school, yet people keep telling me that my education would simply get me a dead-end, corporate douche-bag job.

i've got a friend who goes there. says its a good school. he was really bummed when he first got there, but i think now he's pursuing some sort of international economics study and he's enjoying it.

its somewhere near claremont at least. sounded familiar.

EDIT: facebook confirms it as claremont mckenna.

My major is art history (with a museum studies certificate) and French. I plan on transfering, though.

Does anyone here actually study real science? Mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology? Or this kind of stuff is limited to asian and eastern european immigrants?

Got into grad school last week. I start here again in fall with my master's degree coming summer 09 now.

why was he bummed? i visited and really really liked it-- alot of cool travel oppourtunities and the school throws money at the students like they're strippers if the students can provide a reason for why they need it.

i just think when he got there he couldn't really find any people with common interests and because of that his studies were suffering. eventually i think he worked it out and is much happier now. when he got there he was sorta the jock-bro douche type, but i think he's mellowed out to sorta the interesting normal-dude level.

Was accepted to FIT and Parsons, the only 2 schools I applied to, heh..

if you end up at FIT, i'll have dino_mite relay my message of "YOU LOOK LIKE A LESBOT" for me since i'll be elsewheres for school.

EDIT: you might also consider learning to dress yourself without looking like a tool.

if you end up at FIT, i'll have dino_mite relay my message of "YOU LOOK LIKE A LESBOT" for me since i'll be elsewheres for school.

EDIT: you might also consider learning to dress yourself without looking like a tool.

Thanks, but i'm not going to FIT. You need to chill out, haha. I know, my look right now isnt the best. I have all summer to fix it before I go to college. I'm starting by fixing my shoes, which should be done within the week. That should help my overall look a lot, going to pick up some common projects I think.

Damn, this is a seriously UC saturated thread. Anywho, I'm in at UMichigan (With a great fucking scholarship), McGill, NYU, and some random safeties.

Since this is superfuture, based strictly upon location I'm guessing that it would be ranked in the reverse order, but NYU will seriously make me broke forever. How's Montreal?

....heh, what about Ann Arbor?

mcgills a good school, my cousin goes there and he really enjoys it, plus montreal is pretty awesome.

anybody graduated/know anyone who graduated Claremont McKenna? I'm applying next year and really liked the school, yet people keep telling me that my education would simply get me a dead-end, corporate douche-bag job.

i was actually in claremont this weekend. HOT AS BALLS. but pretty decent SMALL college town. GL

not to knock, but so many unture things in this post. I can only speak from art school expereience, but my parents dont roll deep, and I couldn't get shit from anyone except for measly "scholarships" that are about $3500 a semester, and I have several friends in the same situation.

and not to be somekind of martyr, but prospesctive jobs don't mean shit to art majors: you're gonna work in retail.

i didn't read the rest of the thread after this post.

but honestly. being an art major is an excuse to go to college and have fun.

the job you get afterward has absolutely no connection to the place you graduated (if it's art)

Saturday

Graduation party. Got around $1200.. will pay rent for the summer.

Sunday

Graduation Ceremony -- proceeded to go to about twenty parties & drink just enough beer to make it bearable. Get home & pass out @ 10:30PM.

Today

Deposit that caaasshhh.

Friday

MOVE outta this shit-hole town.