japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

shit, i thought i was being sarcastic.

anyway, dude - i'm sure it's a good story and the reason i thought it was some shit you wrote is BECAUSE i've picked up on you. all you needed to say is, "no, as a matter of fact it is not something I wrote," however you chose to take the asshole route. it pains me to e-hate on you, man, because you do seem like a decent cat, but hey, like rirawin and i joked about in F.I.L all this shit is just some time killing ish and I'd hope no one is like their e-hating persona in real liife. except chubby checker form the above post - he's probably an idiot in real life

maaaang, I wasn't gonna comment on any of this, cause I didn't want to get involved, but dayum son...raj, matsu, herp, etc. always answer questions about Japland to help out gaijin like you and me. They're Japanese, they have - at some point - lived there, and thus know way more about the country than anyone here. Their advice is always solid, and I often use this thread as a reference. So of course the thread is gonna be centered around what they've got to say.

Oh, salaryman also. He's good wit da info too.

ballas just don't get along with your kind. he (and most here) just don't like you very much, cause YOU were an asshole from the very get-go (still are).

maybe if you do a sincere dogeza (not that most gaijin can get it right), take a pic and post, people might forgive you and maybe overlook your typical brand of stupidity once in a while (some).

do you ever feel like you've become the asshole you are online here? just give it up. take a break from being a moron for a minute and you might find it quite refreshing. engage in a post without your stupid "master hater, B.A.L.L.A." (or whatever you call it) persona always lurking in the background. i'm stepping out of this particular thread bash to fight another thread. ish is repetitive and bores me.

maaaang, I wasn't gonna comment on any of this, cause I didn't want to get involved, but dayum son...raj, matsu, herp, etc. always answer questions about Japland to help out gaijin like you and me. They're Japanese, they have - at some point - lived there, and thus know way more about the country than anyone here. Their advice is always solid, and I often use this thread as a reference. So of course the thread is gonna be centered around what they've got to say.

Oh, salaryman also. He's good wit da info too.

here, here. as i've said repeatedly they are very helpful in this thread and were, until the asshole comment from raj yesterday, decent about it. i am quite appreciative of their help when the conversation is not focused on nanpa circle jerks. that's why i'm stepping out of this one. my e-hate isn't directed at this thread and i overstepped the bounds, which i can admit to. ish should be reserved for the specified hate threads so i'll take it out of here.

Guest jmatsu
do you ever feel like you've become the asshole you are online here? just give it up. take a break from being a moron for a minute and you might find it quite refreshing. engage in a post without your stupid "master hater, B.A.L.L.A." (or whatever you call it) persona always lurking in the background. i'm stepping out of this particular thread bash to fight another thread. ish is repetitive and bores me.

okay fine. we don't like you. we don't like your consumer-habits, most of your opinions and shitty lifestyle.

and now, for something completely different...

...is maher shalal hash baz the best thing from japan right now? sure tori kudo is a jehovah's witness. but he's also a ceramicist which is cool, and blues du jour is perhaps the best record ever for lazy summer days.

shit, i thought i was being sarcastic.

anyway, dude - i'm sure it's a good story and the reason i thought it was some shit you wrote is BECAUSE i've picked up on you. all you needed to say is, "no, as a matter of fact it is not something I wrote," however you chose to take the asshole route. it pains me to e-hate on you, man, because you do seem like a decent cat, but hey, like rirawin and i joked about in F.I.L all this shit is just some time killing ish and I'd hope no one is like their e-hating persona in real liife. except chubby checker form the above post - he's probably an idiot in real life

Huh?

I knew you were being sarcastic but honestly I can't be bothered to read between the lines.

Anyways, there really is an alumni mixer at Izumi Gardens tonight.

Northwestern is included.

See you there.

Huh?

I knew you were being sarcastic but honestly I can't be bothered to read between the lines.

Anyways, there really is an alumni mixer at Izumi Gardens tonight.

Northwestern is included.

See you there.

you probably won't but i will be at warehouse saturday night

See you there.

&

has anyone been to the current exhibit at the mori gallery? a collection of british cont. art from a certain famous competition on the isle? is it decent and worth the elevator ride?

has anyone been to the current exhibit at the mori gallery? a collection of british cont. art from a certain famous competition on the isle? is it decent and worth the elevator ride?

Yeah, I went last week during the Business of Luxury Summit.

Its the history of the Turner Prize (given out annually by London's Tate Modern Museum to the best modern artist that year). The exhibit itself was decent, if somewhat short. Its definitely not the best exhibit I have seen there, but they do have some pretty cool art from important recent artists (Damien Hirst, Wolfgang Tillmans). Unfortunately most of this stuff isn't their best/most famous work, but more a small limited sample.

Anyway, if you've never been to the museum itself its worth a trip because the sky deck should be open (if its not raining/bad weather) and you can walk around the roof/helipad of the hills.

I recommend going around 5-6 when its still light outstide. You can catch the day view, hit the museum, and then get the night view afterwards.

might check it out. i've never seen any of hirst's stuff in person. i've been to the gallery before - last time was several months ago. is a great view from the observation deck. didn't go up to the helipad though. maybe this time.

while we're on the subject of art galleries - are there any other modern art galleries worth checking out? Ueno has a lot to offer but is any of it modern?

Museum of Contemporary Art, Tokyo in Kiba sometimes has some good exhibits. I have heard good things about their current Oscar Oiwa show, but I also saw good reviews of the last show I went to (Tadashi Kawamata) and that was pretty weak so don't take my word for it. Anyway it a pretty cool building, if a little hard to get to.

http://www.mot-art-museum.jp/english/

Then theres the National Art Center, also a pretty rad building, and convenient since its in Roppongi/Nogizaka. They always have a couple of different things going on. Last time I went they had quite a few young artists work on display. Some great, most of them not. Now I think they have the Italian Modigliani exhibit and Australian painter Emily Kame Kngwarrereye. http://www.nact.jp/index.html

The 3rd floor Paul Bocuse Brasserie is pretty classy shit too, but the food has fallen off a little.

070425_part03_01.jpg

Edit: There is also the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo in Kudanshita. It has both some traditional and contemporary stuff. Never been though so I don't know how it is. http://www.momat.go.jp/english/artmuseum/index.html

any good concerts / shows coming up in tokyo?

previous / current / next level shit. it doesn't matter.

yeah, simian at warehouse saturday. ditto on salaryman. other than that not too much. anyone going to fuji rock this year? just purchased tickets. line up is not as solid as summer sonic but i hit up SS last year and feel like fuji rock will be a better overall experience.

no. see, this is part where you thank me kid.

Word. Soundune is one thankless motherfucker. And the event was real motherfucker. Tons of alums, got to meet some hot shits doing MBA in stanford, harvard, etc. Met some gold diggers. And one one bitch from Goldman derivative equity sales. Did an internship at Lehman. But she was a bitch. Then some HSBC HR scrubs trying poach potential bankers. But with this market, who gives a fuck. My homie got wait listed at London School of Business for gods sake. He's UPENN Wharton + Blackrock!?!!?! Fuck this shit. Then some Desi's doing Boston Consulting from Houston + Princeton undergrad. Now gonna do a PhD at stanford. Motherfucker is real BALLA. Shame most Desi's act white as fuck now-adays. No identity. Real shame.

hey, thanks guys, but rajio - i was serious, couldn't make it all the way in to tokyo during the week for something like that. anyway, i don't know how many times i've said i appreciate the advice, but i'll say it once more. thanks. and for herp, here's a site a friend put me on a few weeks ago. mostly more mainstream stuff but it's helpful

http://www.tokyogigguide.com/index.php

Guest jmatsu
where can i get the worst sushi in tokyo

i dont know about the worst, but the kaitenzushiya inside ueno station was pretty fuckin terrible.