japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

yeah i was thinking it might not be worth checking out esp when my friends are planning it to the last train home (WTF???). thanks for the input salaryman.

tried out great burger last night based on kiya's post

i thought it was pretty decent although the meat was a bit dry or overdone for my liking

img3300p.th.jpg

greedy burger. avocados not visible. nice hidden kick of horseradish(?)

^ its past its prime, but every once and a while they have good parties.

seems like every club has pole dancing like one night a week now though, its getting ridiculous.

plus, even when they are hot, most Japanese girls look cheesy doing it.

i went to velor a few months ago. it was pretty fun.

which club b hot rite now?

i went to velor a few months ago. it was pretty fun.

which club b hot rite now?

depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Le Baron was popular for a while and on weeknights you could catch a lot of J celebrities there, but it was soon overrun with obnoxious bankers, "design"ers, and Eurotrash, but because of their name and link to the Paris club they attract some decent talent in terms of DJs, acts, etc. Still, its poorly managed as a business and most people there are too busy trying to look pretty to have fun. Its a great space, but the sound is dog shit and the dance floor is whatever.

The club itself is actually part of the same business group as Velours, and despite getting less a lot less hype lately Velours is the one making the money and keeping the group afloat. They have bad events 2 nights a week, but they do ok in terms of money.

I thought Unit and Air were good for big parties. Both have great sound, enough space, and are far enough from crowded areas not to get too many tourists like Womb. Obviously, depends on the DJ/theme of the party, but both places have some sick events pretty frequently.

Warehouse is kind of weak in terms of the actual space, its basically one big room with a shabby VIP upstairs, but they have some quality DJs every once a while and its in a good location. Sound is great too. Sometimes pretty hot girls as well.

For lesser known places, Ever (http://www.ever-site.com/) is not far from Velours. Has a younger, mostly Japanese crowd. People don't get wild and sweaty. But a lot of laid back J hipster kids. Eastern European models. Good for boozing and meeting new people. Trendy. Could have fallen off by now for all I know.

Colors Studio (http://colorsstudio.iflyer.jp/venue/info) is in a basement not far from Nishi Azabu. They host some pretty good underground type parties. The space isn't huge and has awful ventilation. Its no good for girls, but if you are into minimal, etc. they host some dark goodness.

Hachi in Aoyama (http://www.aoyama-hachi.net/) is walkable from Shibuya. This place is great and I went here often. Reluctant even to blow up the spot really. The club itself is small, three tiny floors stacked on top of each other, but the staff are really cool and they have all kinds of events from old school hip hop to drum and bass. TINY dance floor on the second floor, but a small lounge on the first floor and third, always great people. Usually kids are there to party late. Again, not a pick up spot, but a good time. Next door is Oath which is also ridiculously small, but is the ill after hours spot open until like 9AM. Always a good post-big-club crew there partying late.They have some really underrated DJs spinning til the sun comes up.

Close by is Loop too which isn't bad.

Mado lounge is a shit space in my opinion and pricey for the weak DJs they host, but it has the illest views and prime minato-ku ass.

A9712345 and Heartland are what they are, boozy, with a good crop of gold diggers.

Muse is kind of a dump, but cheap, good location and always lots of girls. Great for drinking/pregame.

Trump room has fashion related events often. But its small too and can be pretentious. Depends on the crowd really.

ALife/Flower/Feria etc. are pretty played. Some very fine girls there usually but they are normally looking for a drink ticket and think they are better looking than they actually are. Plus the music sucks.

La Fabrique kind of tries to hard. Sceney. Some good DJs but the parties never blow up proper. Usually too crowded and expensive for what it is. Too Shibuya basically.

Ageha is too god damn far away.

Asia is full of little poser electro heads and eikawa sensei.

Harlem is wannabe b-boys and the tacky girls chasing them.

Overall, I don't think there is one spot which is really it right now.

Like I said, was Le Baron for a minute when it was pretty exclusive a while ago, buts its fallen off sharply.

Tokyo clubs are always up and down, I think best general rule is to decide where to go based on what kind of music you like and what you're looking to do that night. if you want to chase girls go to Roppongi/Nishi Azabu, if you want proper house go to unit/womb/air, and if you want to do drugs with lolita chicks then find a small place with a name you can't remember.

Holy shit, this post was stupid long.

I think I miss Tokyo already.

Agree with salaryman that there really is no "IT" place anymore in Tokyo.

Ironically I think Velours is doing pretty well given its history and the fact that so many people know the place and has fallen off a bit. I go to events for the people rather than the music so my opinions are different than salaryman's.

I'll add a few now:

Two Rooms in Ao Aoyama just blew up in March. Basically known as the new new Heartland. Lots of brokers and bankers go their to booze with clients and has a great deck view of the Shibuya/Omotesando area. Still sorta out of the radar but is by the same owner of Oakdoor in Roppongi Hills which was THE banker spot to get deals done after dinner.

57 in Midtown is really a restaurant w/ a lounge/bar at nights. The crowd is usually bankers and international japanese and ex-pats but usually higher status. Music is ok; supposedly they do a great gay night the last Sunday of every month called "Church". This is actually a great place for niji-kai and to network for settai since its spacious. Women that come here are bit more sophisticated but don't be surprised if they make more money than you.

A.I. in Roppongi. The music is 40 pop/variety but the great place about this club is that its off the beaten path on the strip so they try desperately to get customers and u can usually get in for free most nights. Lots of friends throw parties here and the drinks are decent and not as expensive as Feria/Alife/etc. Mostly OL girls and nikkei that work for foreign companies head here.

Sabaku no Bara (Desert Rose) is one of my favorite places, probably my favorite. Its in ginza and its in the back street on the upper floors of the estnation building. Almost entirely only Japanese. Its really the new Genius of Ginza lots of hot OLs from the Ginza, Nipponbashi, Otemachi, etc. area come here after nijikai to unwind and they also do some interesting pole dancing nights with the Maneater dance group, etc. Music is your standard electro, house variety affair. The trick at this club is the pay the VIP and get the tables right next to the main floor and the bar.

Sabaku no Bara (Desert Rose)

Nice choice.

I only went here twice before I left, but it looked like it was going to be a pretty popular place. My office was in Nihonbashi and I always felt like although there were plenty of good places to drink in the chuo area (all over Ginza obviously and even Marunouchi) the area was crying out for a proper club or place for young J professionals who didn't want to go all the way east to minato or to kyaba in Ginza. Most of the younger kids in my company that party went here often, also higher level OLs, shoken guys, etc. Was a mixed crowd but people were still getting down. Music was actually ok as well. I sort of thought this place could be the beginning of a mini-Ginza resurgence. Not that it ever fell off, just was limited for nightlife..

depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Le Baron was popular for a while and on weeknights you could catch a lot of J celebrities there, but it was soon overrun with obnoxious bankers, "design"ers, and Eurotrash, but because of their name and link to the Paris club they attract some decent talent in terms of DJs, acts, etc. Still, its poorly managed as a business and most people there are too busy trying to look pretty to have fun. Its a great space, but the sound is dog shit and the dance floor is whatever.

The club itself is actually part of the same business group as Velours, and despite getting less a lot less hype lately Velours is the one making the money and keeping the group afloat. They have bad events 2 nights a week, but they do ok in terms of money.

I thought Unit and Air were good for big parties. Both have great sound, enough space, and are far enough from crowded areas not to get too many tourists like Womb. Obviously, depends on the DJ/theme of the party, but both places have some sick events pretty frequently.

Warehouse is kind of weak in terms of the actual space, its basically one big room with a shabby VIP upstairs, but they have some quality DJs every once a while and its in a good location. Sound is great too. Sometimes pretty hot girls as well.

For lesser known places, Ever (http://www.ever-site.com/) is not far from Velours. Has a younger, mostly Japanese crowd. People don't get wild and sweaty. But a lot of laid back J hipster kids. Eastern European models. Good for boozing and meeting new people. Trendy. Could have fallen off by now for all I know.

Colors Studio (http://colorsstudio.iflyer.jp/venue/info) is in a basement not far from Nishi Azabu. They host some pretty good underground type parties. The space isn't huge and has awful ventilation. Its no good for girls, but if you are into minimal, etc. they host some dark goodness.

Hachi in Aoyama (http://www.aoyama-hachi.net/) is walkable from Shibuya. This place is great and I went here often. Reluctant even to blow up the spot really. The club itself is small, three tiny floors stacked on top of each other, but the staff are really cool and they have all kinds of events from old school hip hop to drum and bass. TINY dance floor on the second floor, but a small lounge on the first floor and third, always great people. Usually kids are there to party late. Again, not a pick up spot, but a good time. Next door is Oath which is also ridiculously small, but is the ill after hours spot open until like 9AM. Always a good post-big-club crew there partying late.They have some really underrated DJs spinning til the sun comes up.

Close by is Loop too which isn't bad.

Mado lounge is a shit space in my opinion and pricey for the weak DJs they host, but it has the illest views and prime minato-ku ass.

A9712345 and Heartland are what they are, boozy, with a good crop of gold diggers.

Muse is kind of a dump, but cheap, good location and always lots of girls. Great for drinking/pregame.

Trump room has fashion related events often. But its small too and can be pretentious. Depends on the crowd really.

ALife/Flower/Feria etc. are pretty played. Some very fine girls there usually but they are normally looking for a drink ticket and think they are better looking than they actually are. Plus the music sucks.

La Fabrique kind of tries to hard. Sceney. Some good DJs but the parties never blow up proper. Usually too crowded and expensive for what it is. Too Shibuya basically.

Ageha is too god damn far away.

Asia is full of little poser electro heads and eikawa sensei.

Harlem is wannabe b-boys and the tacky girls chasing them.

Overall, I don't think there is one spot which is really it right now.

Like I said, was Le Baron for a minute when it was pretty exclusive a while ago, buts its fallen off sharply.

Tokyo clubs are always up and down, I think best general rule is to decide where to go based on what kind of music you like and what you're looking to do that night. if you want to chase girls go to Roppongi/Nishi Azabu, if you want proper house go to unit/womb/air, and if you want to do drugs with lolita chicks then find a small place with a name you can't remember.

Holy shit, this post was stupid long.

I think I miss Tokyo already.

Agree with salaryman that there really is no "IT" place anymore in Tokyo.

Ironically I think Velours is doing pretty well given its history and the fact that so many people know the place and has fallen off a bit. I go to events for the people rather than the music so my opinions are different than salaryman's.

I'll add a few now:

Two Rooms in Ao Aoyama just blew up in March. Basically known as the new new Heartland. Lots of brokers and bankers go their to booze with clients and has a great deck view of the Shibuya/Omotesando area. Still sorta out of the radar but is by the same owner of Oakdoor in Roppongi Hills which was THE banker spot to get deals done after dinner.

57 in Midtown is really a restaurant w/ a lounge/bar at nights. The crowd is usually bankers and international japanese and ex-pats but usually higher status. Music is ok; supposedly they do a great gay night the last Sunday of every month called "Church". This is actually a great place for niji-kai and to network for settai since its spacious. Women that come here are bit more sophisticated but don't be surprised if they make more money than you.

A.I. in Roppongi. The music is 40 pop/variety but the great place about this club is that its off the beaten path on the strip so they try desperately to get customers and u can usually get in for free most nights. Lots of friends throw parties here and the drinks are decent and not as expensive as Feria/Alife/etc. Mostly OL girls and nikkei that work for foreign companies head here.

Sabaku no Bara (Desert Rose) is one of my favorite places, probably my favorite. Its in ginza and its in the back street on the upper floors of the estnation building. Almost entirely only Japanese. Its really the new Genius of Ginza lots of hot OLs from the Ginza, Nipponbashi, Otemachi, etc. area come here after nijikai to unwind and they also do some interesting pole dancing nights with the Maneater dance group, etc. Music is your standard electro, house variety affair. The trick at this club is the pay the VIP and get the tables right next to the main floor and the bar.

Nice choice.

I only went here twice before I left, but it looked like it was going to be a pretty popular place. My office was in Nihonbashi and I always felt like although there were plenty of good places to drink in the chuo area (all over Ginza obviously and even Marunouchi) the area was crying out for a proper club or place for young J professionals who didn't want to go all the way east to minato or to kyaba in Ginza. Most of the younger kids in my company that party went here often, also higher level OLs, shoken guys, etc. Was a mixed crowd but people were still getting down. Music was actually ok as well. I sort of thought this place could be the beginning of a mini-Ginza resurgence. Not that it ever fell off, just was limited for nightlife..

Thankyou guys. This is proper information!

Salaryman i think i would enjoy the same kind of music you do! You seem to boast some knowledge

sorry to quote it all, i just want to come back to it at a later date....cheers

off to japan

i can't find my bless bracelet grrr

mine used to fit around my dog's neck so I made her wear it as a collar, then one night I left it on the coffee table when I was drunk, I woke up and it was chewed into three bits. Always a biting the hand that feeds you concept.

ohayo

i b here in tokyo.

probably getting a haircut and going to the nonnative shoe sale

ill call you mr. bollywood