Ideas for the next SuFu Denim Contest?!

again there are always those people who just want a limited pair of jeans and don't give a fuck about a contest.

Pretty much. I'm only interested because of the fact that we may get something custom. I'd participate in a contest, but I'm not really interested in it.

they should be priced at $300 MINIMUM

not going to happen. I'm trying to keep cost under $200.

I will talk to sugarcane about preventing people from buying without intention to participate.

I propose that people who intent on buying without participating should be BANNED from superfuture.

I propose that people who intent on buying without participating should be BANNED from superfuture.

Blackplatano, not much chance of that happening but i'm very interested in something that's under $200, if at all possible. keep us updated on your negotiations.

Blackplatano, not much chance of that happening but i'm very interested in something that's under $200, if at all possible. keep us updated on your negotiations.

The problem is that (as the sugarcane representative that called me explained), sugarcane will likely not make any money from this, it is only beneficial as a marketing strategy. The contest will benefit sugarcane if it shows the world the awesome fading power of it's jeans. If the members of superfuture buy the jeans without the intention of participating, it ruins any chance of future projects.

This is why it is important that those who commit to buying the jeans commit to the contest. On top of that, i will try to get a good prize for the winner.

So it is important that rules be made. IMO the people who choose to buy the jeans and never post updates should be banned from superfuture. Period.

BTW. Don't forget that this collab is far from official. It is still in the early process. The member support will determine the future, as well as sugarcane's interest.

WE all need to figure out what brand? Im down on the samurai list already, but what ever company jean that is chosen, I'm still down. Theres just too much all over the place deceiding right now.

i already signed up for the sam contest 2 but im willing to do a SC one as well. Juggling this amongst the skull contest will be hard for me but id really like to be in a sufu one since i was close on the last contest but still missed out.

I don't know why people like SC...but if there's time to change everyone's mind, then why not Warehouse? I'd still be interested in this if it's SC, but the cuts aren't appealing and their quality isn't really all that great either. If it's for '47s or something cheap and simple like that I might be interested though.

SC is pretty much scrapping all repro cuts and starting from scratch with modern cuts, so their past cuts aren't really relevant anymore. I'm really a big fan of Sugarcane, but their inseams are just plain too short. 36+ or bust

i am down for any superdenim contest as long as it starts after the current contest ends

im personally very fond of sammies but there is a certain appeal to sc's willingness to customize

of course i have my preferences but as long as we're not talking 9oz flarez im sure i'll get over it

platano, i'm impressed with your initiative

but i'd wager half of superfuture browses from school or the office on a dynamic ip

bans wouldn't prevent re-regs

and banning a whole network over someone deciding not to play is poor form imo

they should be priced at $300 MINIMUM

whichever company we end up with there will be flakes and theres no reason to inflate the price point

three-hundred dollars isnt necessarily a big deal to everyone

(cats with money can be douchebags too)

at the same time a lower tag would likely draw more participants

Lets just pick Sugarcane now.. and start collecting deposits. :P

lets try to gather as much info as we can from said companies

so that we might take some time and evaluate all our options before we proceed with this as a community

(this goes out to all the nubs and lurkers itching to pull the trigger already)

beatle and blackplatano

as you two have begun to build rapport with samurai and sugarcane respectively

im sure all contestants-to-be would much appreciate if you could clarify each company's offerings of:

-denim selection

-cut selection

-supertalk goodies (willingness to customize selvage, arctuates, hardware)

-projected price range

once we have a better idea of what we have to choose from we can start a focused discussion

and honestly for everyone championing a change of sponsor

lets not forget how good samurai has been to us with the first contest

-price break

-markdown for customs

-custom lot # on patches

-red tab variation

it may not seem like a lot, but for a relatively small company they went out of their way to give thirty denim nerds foundations for a fun contest (though i guess they extended the run of s0500xx's after us anyway, but i digress)

im not saying we should unquestionably stick with them but at the same time we shouldnt be unappreciative

^^^The winner of the Samurai contest also gets a free pair of jeans. They have definitely been a great sponsor so far.

Not only is this cool, but it could be up and running within a month or so. Basically, it’s a contest ready to roll!

I would be interested in 5EP, but out of respect for the first SuFu contest, I personally feel that we should wait until it's over before we start a second contest. This would give the current Samurai contestants an opportunity to join in.

I just got off the phone with sugarcane.

I told them about the contest and what it could mean for business.

They are interested in this contest as a marketing opportunity, NOT as a profit opportunity. In other words, they are willing to make a limited edition run just for superfuture at a deep discount. They want to get as many people involved as possible, and they know that to do that they must keep the price down.

They are open to the possibility of doing modern cuts in the future, and this could be their first.

At least 100 people (# could rise) must be involved to make this limited run. These are the possible features discussed

SuFu x Sugarcane

-Hawaii denim (maybe), but with a very high tension weave. This will result in denim that has character and fades well. Similar concept to Texas cotton samurai's.

-The cut will be Modern. NOT a repro cut. Sugarcane wants to expand beyond the repro market and wants to create a modern jean. We would be the first to try this experiment. If the jeans are a success they might be released to the masses in the future. You could be a part of history haha.

-Some details include; green selvage, green tab and the back pocket will be like the one in the okinawa.

This will NOT be a production jean like the Contest samurais or the SF x 5EP. This would be brand new jeans designed for superfuture.

Of course, all of this is in the talks. It is not official yet.

But

If there is enough interest it can happen.

So state your opinions and interest.

sounds great. just a thought about the "modern cut" thing, can you make sure they won't make it with a low rise? I think the rise should be like on the SC47.

Also, I think their 66 cut is a good enough mix of retro and modern, it works as both in my opinion.

the lvc 47 is perhaps the most versatile cut there is, and it looks great. if you tone down the hip flare, it's the best of both worlds, repro and modern.

Good to see somebody started involving another brand...

Just a quick update..

I have 32 people down for another Samurai project - maybe it would be good to know how many sufus want to go 4 SC..

Counting would be like a poll - and by the end of May we'd have a result.

More info regarding Samurai are to follow ...Don't want to say just yet - have to be sure what's the deal and the jeans and so on..

And for all thosewho are worried - the contest would start December 1st.

Quick reminder - who's up for Sam - please send pm

SUBJECT SAMURAI VOLUME II ...

wow this is starting to sound like a presidential election campaign with proposals of banning non-participants..... A little over the top I must say.

Personally I'd be more than happy with Samurai, and it would be nice to support a relatively small company. If it's SC in the end I am not convinced by a slim-fit, low-rise cut. Versatility is the key for the cut, and don't go overboard with the detailing.

Good to see somebody started involving another brand...

Just a quick update..

I have 32 people down for another Samurai project - maybe it would be good to know how many sufus want to go 4 SC..

Counting would be like a poll - and by the end of May we'd have a result.

More info regarding Samurai are to follow ...Don't want to say just yet - have to be sure what's the deal and the jeans and so on..

And for all thosewho are worried - the contest would start December 1st.

Quick reminder - who's up for Sam - please send pm

SUBJECT SAMURAI VOLUME II ...

Has there been any talk about whats the cut like? I'm up to the competition with Samurai but I wouldn't want anything low rise or heavy denim. Actually, 14-15oz would be perfect. 14.5oz Samurais would be something different -from Samurai.

seems to me there are two distinct camps, one for a sufu, modern, slim/tapered fit, and one for a straight, regular fit. there are also two camps, one pushing for samurai, and one for SC (unless momemtum starts building to start a joint sufu/SF 5ep contest, as mentioned in another thread, in which case all hell breaks loose).

one solution could be to have two contests: SC with the 'modern' fit (since that's what blackplatano has described it as) and samurai with a regular fit.

pros:

-this would have the broadest appeal to as many members as possible.

-there would be more updates, as we could all check out each other's progress across contests

cons:

-there might not be enough participants for two contests at the same time. however, mynudies is doing 2 at once so it is not inherently impossible. also, my feeling is that the people who would want a slim fit wouldn't join anyway if the contest jeans were a regular fit, and vice versa, so the two contests would draw from different pools of members rather than competing for the same people.

yes, you mentioned something along the lines.

but your idea was unworkable because

a) lack of specifics,

B) splitting one contest into 3 separate divisions would be difficult because as you yourself pointed out, having different cuts competing against each other doesn't work, and

c) it would be difficult for one company to produce 3 separate and sufu-customized jeans at the same time.

d) nobody is going to want to join a bootcut division

are you mad because i tried to suggest improvements, or because you're not getting enough attention?