Ideas for the next SuFu Denim Contest?!

ande whall?

I think Ande Whall would be a good choice (if Ande is up for it). Contestants could then have chance to choose whichever cut they personally prefer since the denim would be the same across the board.

Otherwise, it would be cool to get a shop like BiG, Self Edge, or Context involved in the contest somehow. Perhaps they could collaborate with SuFu members to build a prototype jean. The contestants would wear the first run, and future runs could be sold in store to the public. Like the contest Sams, I think the first run of the prototypes could become great marketing tools for the shop that decides to work with SuFu.

And in terms of a prototype jean, I'm still all for an APC New Standard cut with japanese denim (perhaps 15oz?). The new standard cut is one of the most versatile cuts around and that would appease everyone.

Allright.. I am talking to Toshiko right now about the possibility of another contest.

I want to find out if there´s another ltd edition planned - and if so, what...

The other possibility would be a Samurai SUFU collab , but that does depend on the number of contestents...

I really don´t know @ this point - but I´ll investigate the possibilities...

I agree that we should go for another pair of indigos , and due to the summer climat issue it should´nt be too heavy denim...

If we really decide to go Samurai again, I´d be willing to go through the hassle of organizing it - if we decide for some other brand , I might join, but I´d be hoping that someone else will be pulling the strings.

There also is the possibility of having a Samurai contest every year - and an independig SUFU denim contest ..

I think it would be most special/significant if we were to get a company to either produce or associate a new sufu-friendly cut (replica or not) with a new contest, perhaps before releasing that sort of cut to the public. I would prefer this over a bunch of people wearing and fading jeans that have already been worn by so many others. I guess the old contest falls somewhat under this category but maybe the model could be delayed longer than the SO500 was?

Also, I would have to vote for slimmer fitting jeans, and not Samurai, due to the whole hip-flare thing.

I think it would be most special/significant if we were to get a company to either produce or associate a new sufu-friendly cut (replica or not) with a new contest, perhaps before releasing that sort of cut to the public. I would prefer this over a bunch of people wearing and fading jeans that have already been worn by so many others. I guess the old contest falls somewhat under this category but maybe the model could be delayed longer than the SO500 was?

Also, I would have to vote for slimmer fitting jeans, and not Samurai, due to the whole hip-flare thing.

all regularly talked about brands have the hip flare, except maybe somet. it's what makes them jeans.

i'd like a contest were you could choose any jean you'd like, as long as it was raw, and then play as usual from a set date. after a year it could be a nice source to see what jean X looks like after X months compared to jean Y and Z, and also what jean you think look the best after a year, etc. so, easy to find your next jean judging by fade properties etc. i like. but thats just me. i understand the concept of everyone wearing the same jean too.

i'd like a contest were you could choose any jean you'd like, as long as it was raw, and then play as usual from a set date. after a year it could be a nice source to see what jean X looks like after X months compared to jean Y and Z, and also what jean you think look the best after a year, etc. so, easy to find your next jean judging by fade properties etc. i like. but thats just me. i understand the concept of everyone wearing the same jean too.

But that´s not a contest ....that´s what´s happening in the evolution thread every day

:rolleyes:

we might see a really disappointing 1 year contest....they fade well, but they also hold their indigo even better.

so true i washed mine after six month and i was kinda disappointed about the fading

my sams look even better after 3 month :rolleyes:

another vote for Mc Coy's!

But that´s not a contest ....that´s what´s happening in the evolution thread every day

:rolleyes:

yeah i guess, but not as a contest. there is no start, no end, no winner, and no prize. take those parts out of the current samurai contest and you have "the evolution of our samurais". i think of it like a F1 car race were everyone has the same car compared to a race where people can choose the car of their choice. i think the latter is interesting in a different way than the former, and the former is being done already. thats all.

beefcake - The point of selecting one single jean for everyone is to make the contest as fair as possible. Denim construction, dyeing, etc...all of is accounted for when a single jean is chosen. The winner is solely judged upon wear, not on how much he or she spent to get the pair with best upside. Money, unfortunately, would become a factor in the outcome of an 'anything goes' contest.

beefcake - The point of selecting one single jean for everyone is to make the contest as fair as possible. Denim construction, dyeing, etc...all of is accounted for when a single jean is chosen. The winner is solely judged upon wear, not on how much he or she spent to get the pair with best upside. Money, unfortunately, would become a factor in the outcome of an 'anything goes' contest.

i disagree with that, more money would not equal better results. like natural indigo dye etc - good luck with those. and its not like samurais are cheap. i for one can't, and couldn't when the orig contest started, afford them. if i were to choose one jean to wear for one year in order to recieve, in my oppinion, the best wear/fade results, i would not get an (relatively) expensive jean.

Well - the most interesting thing woul be a limited edition- with something that the rest of the released jeans don´t have...

Like the serial number - or a special edition - or something like a collab...

The price for most japanese jeans is around 200 - 250 $ - including Samurai...

So yes - if samurai for instance is willing to think about a ltd - why not ?

Allright.. I am talking to Toshiko right now about the possibility of another contest.

If we really decide to go Samurai again, I´d be willing to go through the hassle of organizing it

Although I liked the Mccoys, i'd be more than happy with some sams, and I think that there's something to be said for using Samurai again, as not only will it be a contest, but interesting at the end to look at contest 1 against contest 2 jeans. If the cut, weight and cotton maybe were changed, them both being sams would be a nice constant. It might end up showing how different things like cut etc. can influence the fade more than using an entire new brand.

it's pretty hard to do soemthing like that unless you split contests.

ie. a b c - slim, straight and bootcut respectively.

after the winners of a b and c are determined, the winners are judged...

although there'd be biased because one would be attracted to one type of jean or the other... hmm.

Yeah I think keep it smple. 1 cut. 1 cotton. 1 colour. Like I said using Samurai again would allow us all to see how a different cut/ direction of thread/ cotton influences the wear in comparison to the first contest.

Id quite like to get in on the contest this year, I would quite like it if samurai did something a little different for SuFu, green acurates????

Id prefer a slim cut though, sub 8"hem on a 30 waist.

Also id really like a cool fabric, maybe they could play with tight or loose weaves, 6x6? etc etc

The pbj006 is a great suggestion.

I'm in for an indigo, non-skinny, mid-to-light(er) weight. I love Sammies, but open to suggestion.