Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

After about 20 bottles or so of mass-market frags I am in the mood for something unique. . . My interest in Bigarrade was piqued by Eau d'Hermes, which has a nice, though somewhat weak, cumin note. Plus, I'm a sucker for bitter citrus. Noir Epices is on the "To Sample" list along with Vetiver Extraodinaire and CDG Hinoki; I'm definitely hesitant about dropping that kind of money and not getting something epic in return.

I find the cumin note in Declaration to be quite prominent, but if you want something fancy and you want cumin, there is none better than the Serge Lutens line. The new Serge Noire (which I've yet to try) has a strong cumin note, as does El Attarine (which I own and love). Chypre Rouge also has an immortelle note, which is more curry than cumin, but similar.

I would of course recommend ordering samples of everything first...blind buying is dangerous, right Mas? ;)

Glad to see you're on your way to sampling tons of scents to find the best scent... maybe you'll also find a good deal!

Just recently got my hands on some DS&Durga scents... they messed up my first order of samples (one cracked due to bad packaging) and resent some out to me with an apology letter and 2 samples of new scents. Very nice of them.

Anybody trying these? I just tried their new Vetyver (that I don't believe is avail for sale yet) on my wrist and it started out what I can only describe as a nice dark green scent that QUICKLY turns into a soapy floral vegetal scent that doesn't suit me... so off to the swap thread it goes. I wish it stayed dark green for longer. I also wish that it had more of a slightly sharp edge (citrus or ginger or something) to it. :(

I know nothing of them, but will do some research.

I would of course recommend ordering samples of everything first...blind buying is dangerous, right Mas? ;)

Haha, but that's what makes it fun initially. Like a lottery you never know what you're gonna get, even with enough reviews.

I also can't help but identify blind buying as a big factor to why people need fragrance swap markets hehe... our loss can be someone else's gain.

Glad to see you're on your way to sampling tons of scents to find the best scent... maybe you'll also find a good deal!

Just recently got my hands on some DS&Durga scents... they messed up my first order of samples (one cracked due to bad packaging) and resent some out to me with an apology letter and 2 samples of new scents. Very nice of them.

2889yh8.jpg

Anybody trying these? I just tried their new Vetyver (that I don't believe is avail for sale yet) on my wrist and it started out what I can only describe as a nice dark green scent that QUICKLY turns into a soapy floral vegetal scent that doesn't suit me... so off to the swap thread it goes. I wish it stayed dark green for longer. I also wish that it had more of a slightly sharp edge (citrus or ginger or something) to it. :(

I tried everything they had when they were selling these at a flea market by my hood. Met the owners as well.

I keep all my fragrances in a dark chamber. So mas, which scent of yours is a hit with the ladies?

Interesting thread... I never noticed it before.

I like Serge Lutens, although honestly the Vetiver Oriental isn't my favorite--some of the Malle vetivers are significantly better in my opinion--l'eau d'hiver (or something like that)? Speaking of Malle the 'bois d'orage' is the shit! But for Lutens, for this fall I'm rocking the Chene. I smell like I've just been out in the woods chopping logs, in a Parisian sophisticated kind of way.

Can someone recommend a fragrance with a subtle musk note?

I'd like something where the musk is not a primary note (like Malin & Goetz), but a complimentary note.

L'eau de L'eau by Diptyque has a nice musk basenote after the dry down, but I don't like the top notes.

The first suggestion that comes to mind is Bois d'Iris (The Different Company); the musk is the base for a scent built around iris and accompanied by vetiver and bergamote in the top notes, and cedar and white florals in the heart. The musk is subtle, but it is there.

If you could tell us what sort of top notes you do like, it will be easier to come up with more suggestions; musk is a common ingredient.

Can someone recommend a fragrance with a subtle musk note?

I'd like something where the musk is not a primary note (like Malin & Goetz), but a complimentary note.

L'eau de L'eau by Diptyque has a nice musk basenote after the dry down, but I don't like the top notes.

First thing that came to my mind was Mure et Musc by L'Artisan. Like Tangerine said though, musk is in pretty much everything.

So after you said Dior Homme is a better version of The One by D&G (which I liked) I got sample sizes of both and I have to say, you were absolutely right. I like both but the DH is the superior fragrance. Thanks for the help :)

Glad you agree...The One is okay, and I may have even liked it if it weren't for DH. But DH blows it out of the park.

The first suggestion that comes to mind is Bois d'Iris (The Different Company); the musk is the base for a scent built around iris and accompanied by vetiver and bergamote in the top notes, and cedar and white florals in the heart. The musk is subtle, but it is there.

If you could tell us what sort of top notes you do like, it will be easier to come up with more suggestions; musk is a common ingredient.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at recognizing notes. I know what I like when I smell it, but I couldn't describe what notes make me like it.

First thing that came to my mind was Mure et Musc by L'Artisan. Like Tangerine said though, musk is in pretty much everything.

I've tried Mure et Musc. It wasn't bad. Perhaps I'll give it another go.

^ If you want some more random musk suggestions:

-Eau Guerriere by Parfumerie Generale (musk & incense)

-S-ex by S-Perfume (aquatic musk)

-Angeliques Sous La Pluis (vegetal musk)

-Musc Nomad by Annick Goutal (beautiful, soft, animal musk)

The Goutal scent is to die for...but expensive, and very ethereal.

^That's not hard to believe hocus pocus. I have a really old bottle of ralph lauren blue that I dug out (while looking for a spare atomizer) from a cabinet where my mother keeps random samples and it smells pretty good too (must've been sitting there a while). This could be more likely due to a reformulation however... I know there's been a change since the 80's with Polo Green. But topnotes neutralizing over time as a happy accident could also be a good reason.

Now for a change of subject: I'm a little shocked... I wore kyoto out these last 2 days I hate how one part of it smells like. :( And I was almost going to give this a blind buy.

It's not cloyingly sweet, the silage smells nice but when I put my nose a little closer to the skin there's just something I find to be too sharp and uncomfortable about the sweetness. I can usually handle sharp citrusy scents that are only present in the top notes and that soon fade away but Kyoto's such a linear scent... so that sharp sweet smell stays throughout it's life of about 5-6 hours (good silage too), otherwise it's a pretty nice scent. I think I need more incense also. I hope maybe avignon is more to my liking.

Tried a few other (designer) scents this week:

Hermes Hiris- love it, great progression, earthy topnotes, well done green vegetal scent and a soft slightly sweet wood drydown that smells great even when I put my nose right to my skin. Marketed as women's I believe, but totally a unisex scent for me.

Unforgivable Sean John diddy- Unforgivable sharp notes that turn me off, without the sharp notes it smells nice enough, though I heard it's a total rip off of a much better older creed scent.

Bobby Jones- nice super safe scent. safest scent for blind gift giving I've smelled yet. SUPER light to the point of non-smell in the topnotes, and grows a bit more hints of greenish bergamot that turns to greenish wood and finally a generic yet pleasant amber/wood base. Smells pleasant, nothing sharp about it... but so light that it makes cool water seem like a silage monster.

Paul Smith Story (blind 6 dollar buy off basenotes)- Smells nice, sharp not-so-natural-but-still-interesting-bergamot opening with really great midnotes that I can't describe well. The scent is lightly green throughout it's life and ends in a fresh clean woody musk. Great for the hot winter days in southern california lol.

And of course I just got my samples from Ormonde Jayne in yay! But my nose is too tired to sample them :(

Also, fragrancenet has has a coupon for free shipping with no minimum price: COLUMBUS. This might be a great time to order some minis or sample vials from them.

A really weird fragrance story: When I was sixteen, my uncle got me a bottle of Ralph Lauren Blue for my birthday. I never really liked the scent, and on the shelf it sat. Last year (age 20), I was at my parent's house and thought why not give it a shot again. I put it on, and was instantly impressed by it. Very quickly I got compliments on it and it became my day to day scent. I chalked it up to my taste changing. In the last few weeks, the bottle has been nearing empty, so I got my dad to buy a bottle of it in the duty free, because I wasn't about to pay $100 for a non-obscure cologne. Well the bottle I got smells quite different from my old bottle, and not very appealing either.

I knew that colognes could get altered through light and whatnot, but I never thought it could actually positively affect it! My guess is that the top notes which I find make it particular bland in it's fresh out of the box incarnation were somewhat neutralized overtime exposing the softer green scent that is so appealing.

Who knew cologne could age like wine due to neglect!?

I think you might have it backwards...your old bottle probably hasn't changed much, but the newer bottles have more than likely been reformulated at some ponit. Each year, new things are added to the restricted list of allergens, and many perfumes have to be reformulated to keep up with these restrictions. It's ruined sooooo many good scents.

^That's not hard to believe hocus pocus. I have a really old bottle of ralph lauren blue that I dug out (while looking for a spare atomizer) from a cabinet where my mother keeps random samples and it smells pretty good too (must've been sitting there a while). This could be more likely due to a reformulation however... I know there's been a change since the 80's with Polo Green. But topnotes neutralizing over time as a happy accident could also be a good reason.

Now for a change of subject: I'm a little shocked... I wore kyoto out these last 2 days I hate how one part of it smells like. :( And I was almost going to give this a blind buy.

It's not cloyingly sweet, the silage smells nice but when I put my nose a little closer to the skin there's just something I find to be too sharp and uncomfortable about the sweetness. I can usually handle sharp citrusy scents that are only present in the top notes and that soon fade away but Kyoto's such a linear scent... so that sharp sweet smell stays throughout it's life of about 5-6 hours (good silage too), otherwise it's a pretty nice scent. I think I need more incense also. I hope maybe avignon is more to my liking.

Tried a few other (designer) scents this week:

Hermes Hiris- love it, great progression, earthy topnotes, well done green vegetal scent and a soft slightly sweet wood drydown that smells great even when I put my nose right to my skin. Marketed as women's I believe, but totally a unisex scent for me.

Unforgivable Sean John diddy- Unforgivable sharp notes that turn me off, without the sharp notes it smells nice enough, though I heard it's a total rip off of a much better older creed scent.

Bobby Jones- nice super safe scent. safest scent for blind gift giving I've smelled yet. SUPER light to the point of non-smell in the topnotes, and grows a bit more hints of greenish bergamot that turns to greenish wood and finally a generic yet pleasant amber/wood base. Smells pleasant, nothing sharp about it... but so light that it makes cool water seem like a silage monster.

Paul Smith Story (blind 6 dollar buy off basenotes)- Smells nice, sharp not-so-natural-but-still-interesting-bergamot opening with really great midnotes that I can't describe well. The scent is lightly green throughout it's life and ends in a fresh clean woody musk. Great for the hot winter days in southern california lol.

And of course I just got my samples from Ormonde Jayne in yay! But my nose is too tired to sample them :(

Also, fragrancenet has has a coupon for free shipping with no minimum price: COLUMBUS. This might be a great time to order some minis or sample vials from them.

I never really got into Hiris, but it definitely has a fan-base. As for Kyoto, move on if it does't turn your crank. Too many good scents out there to waste time on something that isn't perfect. You could always push it to the back of the shelf for now and try it again in a few months to see if your mood has changed.

You're in a treat with the OJ samples! Some of the white florals are meh (Sampaquita, etc.), but OJ Woman, Ta'if, OJ Man, Isfarkand and Tolu are all top notch.

mas, how cool tht you got your OJ's already!!! my samples should be here soon, i'm waiting on oj woman and orris noir. i'm really excited about both of them, but especially the orris noir. i hope to be as poetic as you guys are when i post my "reviews" :P

mas, how cool tht you got your OJ's already!!! my samples should be here soon, i'm waiting on oj woman and orris noir. i'm really excited about both of them, but especially the orris noir. i hope to be as poetic as you guys are when i post my "reviews" :P

Orris Noir is okay, but for some reason it smells like Christmas candle to me...what is that anyway, nutmeg or some shit? Anyway, OJ Woman is absolutely incredible.

Seeking some alternatives to Marc Jacobs. Thats the only cologne I have, and I like it. But, I would like to mix it up. Any suggestions?

MJ is based on figs (I assume you wear the men's). Another great fig - Philosykos by Diptyque. If you're looking for a departure, random suggestions:

-Declaration by Cartier (woody)

-Bvlgari Homme (musky)

-Nautica Voyage (fruity)

-Baldessarini (all of the above)

Terre D'Hermes by Hermes

I love this fragrance my mom just came back from Paris this morning while in Paris she stopped by the Hermes boutique and bought it for me. The packaging is very elegant as well.

Here is a nice review on the fragrance. http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2006/3/2/1788968.html

The original Baldessarini has been my signature scent for four years now it's fantastic. But unfortunately it doesn't last very long on me.

Terre D'Hermes by Hermes

I love this fragrance my mom just came back from Paris this morning while in Paris she stopped by the Hermes boutique and bought it for me. The packaging is very elegant as well.

Here is a nice review on the fragrance. http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2006/3/2/1788968.html

The original Baldessarini has been my signature scent for four years now it's fantastic. But unfortunately it doesn't last very long on me.

Doesn't last long on me either...apparently the came out with a concentrated version, but I've yet to come across it.

Woah! The first sniff of Noir Epices is just like shoving a faceful of cinnamon, pepper, and so forth straight up your nose. Not a ton of fun! Hint of vegetal, none of noir.

It calms down over a bit, but it might be too "kicky" for me. (sorry, I dunno perfume terms)

Doh! That's no good. Keep at it for a few days, you might change your mind.