Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

There are two major vectors:
  1. Reformulation. Various traditional perfume ingredients have been declared unsafe (in some cases it is demonstrably true, in others, we are talking about a tiny percentage of the population who may be allergic, as in the case of oakmoss, a crucial ingredient in Mitsouko and many other fragrances.) It is usually the case that aficionados do not like reformulated versions as well as the originals. Thus, a bottle of original Mitsouko is rare and irreplaceable.
  2. Bottle collectors. Some people collect the bottles and are willing to pay exorbitant prices, even though they never use the contents.

Anent reformulation, I think that oftentimes the motivation is to make an older scent more "marketable".

Many of those older scents were far more harsher and richer than what popular market tastes dictate today. Take my previously mentioned Bandit. The current EdP is quite tame compared to the original, or the even the later, now unavailable, EDT, which is apparently closest to the original.

In fact, I have not found a single contemporary scent that I find fantastic. Tom Ford had an Oud Wood that was palatable, but it just didn't have that unwholesomeness of days of yore.

I know y'all luvs yo' CB and CDG and whatsnot, but we need mention of different brands now and then. Ormonde Jayne is nothing short of fucking awesome. Some highlights:

-Ormonde Woman is my fav from the line. If you can get past wearing something that has the word "woman" in the title, it opens with Black Hemlock (sprucetree-type smell), it allegedly has violet absolute in it, which is the only perfume on the market today to do so (synthetic violets galore, but the natural oil is extremely expensive). Spicy, a bit sweet at times, woodsy, green...everything nice in a scent. Strangely, I find Ormonde Woman to smell more masculine than Ormonde Man.

-Ta'if is mostly rose, but adds saffron and peppers and is my next pick, followed by Isfarkand, a woodsy, smoky number, and Tolu, a sharp, balsam with natural civet (kitty anal glands), again, one of the only perfumes on the market that uses the real thing (although it's harvested inhumanely).

I know you bitches love your exclusivity...OJ's is only sold in one store in the world (in the UK). Every scent comes in either EDP or "parfum" (as discussed earlier). Again, uncommon.

http://www.ormondejayne.com/perfume-eau-de-parfum.php

ahh those sound fabulous! and extremely pricey, am i right?

i picked up elizabeth w. vetiver the other day...cheap and cheerful. i wasn't sure about how it smelled on my skin at first, but now i think i love it. i want something lavender-inspired next...even though i really don't need any more.

i tried on YSL Babydoll and i love it. i also got two compliments on it within 30min of me wearing it.

me thinks im going to be getting it somehow very soon.

ahh those sound fabulous! and extremely pricey, am i right?

i picked up elizabeth w. vetiver the other day...cheap and cheerful. i wasn't sure about how it smelled on my skin at first, but now i think i love it. i want something lavender-inspired next...even though i really don't need any more.

Not as bad as you'd think. The EDP (which is a much better deal) is 58 pounds, so about $110ish. Also, around Christmas they usually have a 20% discount on everything, so I'll post that code when it comes up.

They have a great little sample set too that I got last year of all their scents.

My favourite lavenders are Etat Libre's Antiheros (lavender soap), and Caron's Pour Un Homme (lavender & vanilla).

i tried on YSL Babydoll and i love it. i also got two compliments on it within 30min of me wearing it.

me thinks im going to be getting it somehow very soon.

I'll have to give that one a sniff...I wasn't crazy about YSL Elle, but they tend to have decent scents.

when I think about ysl babydoll the word 'flirty' comes to mind... it's sweet but not sickly sweet, with a strong note of grapefruit that makes it very pleasant. very girly. I considered it a billion years ago to make it my signature scent but eventually decided it didn't match my personality that well.

julz, you should get it!!

Has anyone checked out colletexgap store in New York? It's interesting I heard they're selling bottles of indult Parfum C16 and Le Labo Vanille 44.

http://www.colettexgap.com/

The price of exclusivity is high for a reason. :(

On that note...

DAMN your ormonde jayne review! Shit is so ridiculously up-my-alley of notes I consistently love (when done well) that I'm desperate to experience this scent. My desire to blind buy is at fever pitch.

::shakes fist clutching a wallet at you::

Gimme, have you tried any of the Parfums MDCI yet? They have a rather reasonalbe (if not generous) set of 10ml samples of all their scents priced at 55 euros.

http://parfumsmdci.free.fr/biscuit/catalogueen.htm

The price of exclusivity is high for a reason. :(

On that note...

DAMN your ormonde jayne review! Shit is so ridiculously up-my-alley of notes I consistently love (when done well) that I'm desperate to experience this scent. My desire to blind buy is at fever pitch.

::shakes fist clutching a wallet at you::

Gimme, have you tried any of the Parfums MDCI yet? They have a rather reasonalbe (if not generous) set of 10ml samples of all their scents priced at 55 euros.

http://parfumsmdci.free.fr/biscuit/catalogueen.htm

OJ has a great sample set too...

MDCI is a superb line of fragrances. The men's are "okay", but the women's are excellent. Enlevement au Serail is one of the nicest perfumes I've ever smelled...ever.

OJ has a great sample set too...

Just wish they were in 10 ml vials. :D And refundable after you buy a parfum bottle.

I believe my enthusiasm got the better of me here. ha! Still deciding on OJ or MDCI.

Basically not sure I'd care much for the 3 mdci florals... but I'm trying not to be dismissive here, just... choosing priorities.

Getting hooked either way will be a curse on my dwindling finances.

I believe my enthusiasm got the better of me here. ha! Still deciding on OJ or MDCI.

Basically not sure I'd care much for the 3 mdci florals... but I'm trying not to be dismissive here, just... choosing priorities.

Getting hooked either way will be a curse on my dwindling finances.

I was actually scared to try the MDCI's because they're soooo expensive (although I would never buy the "head" statue thing). If you like Mitsouko, you'd like Enlevement au Serail. The amber is "meh", but the Barbarian Invasion is quite good, although not my taste. I'm sure you could find someone to take the ones you don't like off your hands (*cough*gimmegimme*cough*).

I ordered a rapingly expensive amount of Serge Lutens' newest paris exclusive. I couldnt' afford the whole big bottle, so I went with a decant instead (at a HUGE premium...oh well).

Ditto on the fear.

I feel like a fiend

right now...

after I get that MDCI sample. There's a great chance of becoming the equivalent of a coke-junkie.

Well.. they do have the more affordable ~250 dollar non-fancy-sculptural-bust bottles.

anyone else a fan of (the now discontinued) YSL M7?

This and all the other YSL men's has actually been on my list to try. I blind bought Rive Gauche pour Homme and I LOVE IT. One spray too...and you get so much. It's got this air of polite complexity you find with more quality perfumes but also has an accessible mix of notes that remind many of barbershops (which is very nostalgic to me).

You know what... if it wasn't for the prevelance of lavender and the accessibility of the line (warning!! elitist wanna be) I'd fill my wardrobe with many YSL scents:: Kouros (and the Body flanker), M7, Live Jazz and L'homme (something you male-floral experimenters wanna sample...)

Le Dandy - D'orsay

Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of getting it, but still keeping my eyes open for some other alternatives.

Edit: can anyone recommend to me a few colognes with a strong tobacco and woody aroma?

Le Dandy - D'orsay

Has anyone tried it? I'm thinking of getting it, but still keeping my eyes open for some other alternatives.

Edit: can anyone recommend to me a few colognes with a strong tobacco and woody aroma?

I'm probably not the best person to respond...tobacco isn't my thing, but as far as tobacco scents go, my favourite would be Jasmin & Cigarettes by Etat Libre d'Orange.

I haven't tried Le Dandy...it sounds...um...sorta 80's. Just judging the book by its cover, it might be great. If your'e into dandified scents, Habit Rouge is a great option (especially vintage).

For woody stuff - Dzonkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

Oddly, all the tobacco scents I can think of seem to have the tobacco accord paired with a floral or sweet accord.

I actually think Guerlain Vetiver is the closest I can come to the request for tobacco and wood. Not all that woody, but closer than anything else I can think of.

Also, Gucci Pour Homme, while not really tobacco, smells a bit like a wooden cigar box, IMO... might want to try that. The original, orange-colored one, not GPH II.

I was looking up a bunch of stuff late last night and I'm going to pull the trigger on a bunch of samples…got any more suggestions? Mark, do you think living in SF means fragrances are less seasonal in use as far as warm/cold goes? Just curious because I want to try all these scents that are quite particular (as far as the reviews I've read) and haven't been paying attention to whether or not they're good for the fall/winter…

So far I've got this list for samples

Rose Poivrée & Sel de Vetiver - Different Company

Vetiver - Guerlain

Patchouli Patch & Tea for Two - L'Artisan Parfumeur

I think at the end of the day I might blow for two bottles…but maybe you guys can convince me for a third :o