Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Any advice for a fresh workhorse scent e.g Kiehls' musk/ Mugler cologne, but significantly cheaper?

How much cheaper...what's your budget? CDG's Synthetic series can be had cheap from certain stores. Kiehl's musk doesn't smell too far off from Jovan Musk which is the cheapest you'll find.

Has anyone had problems with their CDG Synthetics evaporating in the bottle? I bought a bottle of Skai in May, use 3-4 sprays 5 days a week, and my bottle is nearly dead. I notice droplets of the cologne around the diffuser whenever I use it as well. I know I haven't used the whole damn thing in 4 months...

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/blog/_archives/2008/8/19/3823281.html

^^ The nowsmellthis blog has a great entry that'll help you with calculations. Basically no... your 50ml bottle should last you at least ~7 months with how much you spray.

I wonder, do perfumes have warantees?

whats the Mitsouko like? basenote shows it as a female scent. and i dont know what to think from the reviews they have:confused:

My advice to you is for you to go and try it out and see if you like the scent. I didnt buy it the moment I try it out. It took me like 7 or 8 months (6X samples on my wrist) before I decided.

If theres none near where you live, try buying samples and test it out.

Well if you check most of the reviews, and also the forums you'll see alot of men wear Mitsouko. Also look about how gendering perfumes is a load of marketing myth.

Ken, nice photo... would hate this thread turning into a recent-buys clone but it's nice to see the pic nonetheless. About stocking up on perfumes in general... have you ever had a perfume go bad on you? How many do you safely stock? I'm building up a small wardrobe and don't know if I'll really finish any scent within a year but the urge to buy and restock is already there!

yes, I thought a pic or two would lighten up this thread:o

I dont normally stock up on perfumes. And to think bout it, I have never even bought the same one. I usually like to try new ones.

My collection consists of:

Givenchy ultramarine

Dior Homme

Polo Blue label

TDC Bergamote

Chanel Allure Homme Sport

Guerlain Mitsouko

I've worn Mitsouko for years, and although it is technically marketed as a women's scent, many of the perfumes from that era are almost hyper-masculine. Bandit is actually another good example. Mitsouko opens with a harsh incensy-wood note, and then gets very dry and mossy. There really isn't much in the way of girly-smell in it at all frankly.

I have a bottle of CDG Skai form the Synthetic line and it hasn't evaporated at all...there must have been something wrong with your bottle. The only time I worry about evaporation is when bottles have bulb-atomizers, which is rare these days. Where did you store it? Bathrooms are bad for cologne, and sunny window sills are even worse.

My scent of the day:

2r28489.jpg

I know I haven't used the whole damn thing in 4 months...

if you're doing 3-4 sprays almost every day you probably did. i've been using synthetic series for some time now and that sounds like an average lasting time for them. they also still work even if they feel almost empty.

if you're doing 3-4 sprays almost every day you probably did. i've been using synthetic series for some time now and that sounds like an average lasting time for them. they also still work even if they feel almost empty.

Those bottles do spray a ton...much more than your average bear.

The purple juice in Sarrasins is a bit evil (will probs stain), but still uber-zexy. The bottle on the right is a ltd. edition and costs 850 euros.

ps - Sarrasins is jasmin & leather. Good stuff.

gimmegimme- sounds good. I am a sucker for presentation, and the purple juice is very appealing to me. sucks that it stains, though.

on that note (no pun), has anyone tried/seen Wode from Boudicca? it's supposed to spray on like ink and then vanish.

boudicca-wode.jpg

The fragrance is named for woad, a plant traditionally used to produce blue dye, and when sprayed from its 'graffiti can', will initially turn skin and/or clothing blue, then will turn transparent:
The fragrance itself is a spicy animalic by perfumer Geza Schoen of Escentric Molecules. According to Schoen, the perfume "is based on the smell of raw opium".

from nowsmellthis

I've worn Mitsouko for years, and although it is technically marketed as a women's scent, many of the perfumes from that era are almost hyper-masculine. Bandit is actually another good example. Mitsouko opens with a harsh incensy-wood note, and then gets very dry and mossy. There really isn't much in the way of girly-smell in it at all frankly.

I have a bottle of CDG Skai form the Synthetic line and it hasn't evaporated at all...there must have been something wrong with your bottle. The only time I worry about evaporation is when bottles have bulb-atomizers, which is rare these days. Where did you store it? Bathrooms are bad for cologne, and sunny window sills are even worse.

My scent of the day:

2r28489.jpg

Bandit is best done in the EdT--it's much more harsher than the EdP, and truer to the original version.

Another one in that vein would be Caron's Tabac Blond, and to an extent, Creed's Angelique Encens, made for Marlene DIetrich.

what good places are there to shop for frags in soho?

i don't know much about fragrances, never bought them before. But it seems like Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler, Paul Smith Eau De tiolotte are good, ill check them out this weekend. Any suggestions to try out?