Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

I don't think any of those are specifically for any particular season, but all would work well in SF fall/winter.

Not sure where you're getting your samples from, but if they have Paestum Rose, get a sample of that too....I just really like it (and am wearing it today).

Tea for Two is "meh" for me, but everyone else seems to like it.

totallyepic says it smells like these oriental rose cigarettes I tried…I'm down to give it a whiff.

Just read the notes in Paestum Rose…sounds crazy, though I'm not crazy about the packaging.

sidney, I agree that SF's relatively homogeneous "seasons" reduce the distinction between cool and warm weather scents, but I still have found that there are some frags I wear more in cool weather and not in warm, and vice versa.

I have not tried Patchouli Patch so can't comment on that... all the others you mentioned I think are versatile enough for any time of year in SF. I prefer to wear Sel de Vetiver on warm days because I like the way it gets amplified in the heat, but I think it would be fine anytime.

gimme, I also was not particularly moved by Tea for Two, but I think everyone besides us likes it.

I have been testing Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur (fine leather) and it was a very pleasant surprise. Powder-clean/soft leather that moves to a more dominant accord of vetiver. All the notes I mentioned were easy to identify though they also played well together. Kinda reminds me of the smoothest part of Grey Flannel's drydown but with a leather accord from the begining and with a little powder (or maybe hay?).

I'm cautious as to powder scents on my skin (it's a softness I would rather enjoy from other people) but I feel it's a rather interesting close-to-skin and natural scent when done well. I'm interested in exploring more natural of-the-skin smelling scents now in terms of leather and musk notes. Suggestions anyone?

Though I pulled back from gourmands earlier as never being able to achieve a natural of-the-skin scent... I want to retract that because I think Lolita Lempicka au Masculin's drydown was super natural and though it has a bit of sweetness, it really felt natural as a pleasant skin scent.

Anyone who's a fan of the CDG X Monocle Scent One: Hinoki and can give me an idea of what it smells like? Is it a Winter scent?

Last three fragrances I bought:

Tom Ford, CDG2 and one by John Varvatos (quite smokey). Need some advice basically. Was tempted by these colognes by DS and Durga, but nobody who can ship to the UK seems to stock them.

http://www.thrillist.com/archives/2008/05/ds_and_durga_cologne_nyc_new_york_grooming.html

Cheers.

I'm probably not the best person to respond...tobacco isn't my thing, but as far as tobacco scents go, my favourite would be Jasmin & Cigarettes by Etat Libre d'Orange.

I haven't tried Le Dandy...it sounds...um...sorta 80's. Just judging the book by its cover, it might be great. If your'e into dandified scents, Habit Rouge is a great option (especially vintage).

For woody stuff - Dzonkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur.

Thanks mate, I've written it down. Le Dandy D'orsay is a whiskey and tobacco scent fragrance.

Oddly, all the tobacco scents I can think of seem to have the tobacco accord paired with a floral or sweet accord.

I actually think Guerlain Vetiver is the closest I can come to the request for tobacco and wood. Not all that woody, but closer than anything else I can think of.

Also, Gucci Pour Homme, while not really tobacco, smells a bit like a wooden cigar box, IMO... might want to try that. The original, orange-colored one, not GPH II.

thank you, I'll definitely look into those two.

sidney - the packaging for paestum rose is a bit fugs at first, but it grows on you.

mas - I've tried a few of heeley's scents, and I wasn't moved. they get great reviews though, and I haven't tried that one. The "menthe" and "iris de nuit" weren't so good.

jackfrost - hinoki is right up your alley by the sounds of it. basically incense, smoke, pinetrees, etc. It's expensive though.

So I wanted to like CBIHP very much, but didn't really care for any of the scents I've tried on so far, except maybe Black March, but I wouldn't buy a full bottle of that even.

Burning Leaves - maple syrup with smoked bacon and ketchup

In the Library - coconut

Violet Empire - old granny underwear...ugh

Black March - damp twigs, dirt, leaves, flowers later on

Russian Caravan Tea - wet tea bags

I have sensory overload now. Will report back tomorrow.

So I wanted to like CBIHP very much, but didn't really care for any of the scents I've tried on so far, except maybe Black March, but I wouldn't buy a full bottle of that even.

Burning Leaves - maple syrup with smoked bacon and ketchup

In the Library - coconut

Violet Empire - old granny underwear...ugh

Black March - damp twigs, dirt, leaves, flowers later on

Russian Caravan Tea - wet tea bags

I have sensory overload now. Will report back tomorrow.

That's too bad...but everyone's sniffer is different,so don't force yourself to like anything. It's a bitch when you order samples and like none of them, but trust me, it's better than liking all of them...much harder on the wallet.

i was just flipping the pages of GQ and I saw this article on making your own signature scent. seemed like the usual bs fluff GQ stuff, but they mentioned CDG 2 Man and Thierry Mugler B and maybe one other scent in there. Any one try the Thierry Mugler?> I just know it cus my sister hates the girls fragrance from that brand, angel i think.

i was just flipping the pages of GQ and I saw this article on making your own signature scent. seemed like the usual bs fluff GQ stuff, but they mentioned CDG 2 Man and Thierry Mugler B and maybe one other scent in there. Any one try the Thierry Mugler?> I just know it cus my sister hates the girls fragrance from that brand, angel i think.

I thought Mugler Bmen was discontinued, but who knows. My fav from the line is Cologne. Pure Coffee is also quite nice (if you like coffee). They also have an upscale line that has some very nice scents in it, but they're super pricey.

It's a refil bottle (non-fancy bottle) filled with the fragrance juice. I wish more companies do this... I don't really care to get double bottles. I wouldn't trust ebay sellers most of the time :(

Oh and I found some Mitsouko EDT today... dunno if it's worth it for 1oz ($26)... I heard it was lighter for maybe warm days.

It's a refil bottle (non-fancy bottle) filled with the fragrance juice. I wish more companies do this... I don't really care to get double bottles. I wouldn't trust ebay sellers most of the time :(

Oh and I found some Mitsouko EDT today... dunno if it's worth it for 1oz ($26)... I heard it was lighter for maybe warm days.

Mitsouko EDT isn't what I'd call "light"...lightER than the EDP, but not light. I wear it to work, etc., and the EDP for more formal occassions.

TANG, I actually tried Cuir de Russie today and wow, I can't believe this was the kind of scents worn by women then... and can only imagine the kind of wonderfully classy and adventurous women that would wear them today.

I wouldn't mind wearing this, but it feels strange to smell of this fragrance just from a bottle. It does however inspire me to take up cigar smoking, lonely drinking and riding daily :) someday.

Do you have any other leather scents to suggest that maybe lighter on tabacco?

mas, you have already tried Dzing!, which is another of my favorite leather scents.

If you can get hold of Serge Lutens' Cuir Mauresque, that is a great leather with amber and oranges. It is not in the export line, though, so you need a Paris proxy or get a decant from TPC. Pricey.

It would be easier to find Serge Lutens' Daim Blond; suede and apricot. I haven't actually tried this one, though, so can't really comment.

You could try Piguet Bandit; this is a bit wild but I find it very appealing. Green and raunchy.

And one more suggestion, Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire. This starts out as a dry and smoky leather, veers into incense, and then towards a lighter leather with sweet overtones.

I'm sure gimme will have some more suggestions (and probably easier to find ones. :rolleyes:)

I get mostly poop from Dzing!...it smells remarkably similar to the basement entrance to my office building. A mix between cigarettes, mildew, and whatever it is homeless people do down there at night.

More leathers - Rien by Etat Libre is my favourite straight-up leather. S-ex by S-Perfume is my favourite vague-interpretation of it.

downwithianbrown - I actually really like Angel, haha. but then again I tend to like more complicated, gourmand fragrances.

angel is quite a brilliant scent...but it's STRONG and not for the faint of heart. there are some perfumes out there that I know are brilliant, but I don't ever want to smell them again. :)

This morning I awoke gagging as I didn't wash my left wrist to see how long Chanel Cuir De Russie lasted... (was fun to take a shower one-handed last night). I learned twa few things:

- This shit lasts way too long on my skin.

- Dark smokey leather scents with tobacco is not fun for me during the daylight... There was a bitterness that I just don't agree with... in fact, I'm going to say that although I don't mind smelling like tobacco after smoking or being around other smokers (cloves cigs whatevs), I really don't want this from a leather scent.

- I'm convinced that this scent would drive people away for the same reasons as it would attract.

(anybody want my remaining .5ml sample?)

mas, you have already tried Dzing!, which is another of my favorite leather scents.

If you can get hold of Serge Lutens' Cuir Mauresque, that is a great leather with amber and oranges. It is not in the export line, though, so you need a Paris proxy or get a decant from TPC. Pricey.

It would be easier to find Serge Lutens' Daim Blond; suede and apricot. I haven't actually tried this one, though, so can't really comment.

You could try Piguet Bandit; this is a bit wild but I find it very appealing. Green and raunchy.

And one more suggestion, Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire. This starts out as a dry and smoky leather, veers into incense, and then towards a lighter leather with sweet overtones.

I'm sure gimme will have some more suggestions (and probably easier to find ones. :rolleyes:)

I'm scared of Bandit, as well as all the formulation differences. It's kinda confusing so it'll be on the back of my test-list.

do you get cardboard? Some people get cardboard or paper; I got it once. But usually it's leather, straw, cotton candy and animal smells for me.
I get mostly poop from Dzing!...it smells remarkably similar to the basement entrance to my office building. A mix between cigarettes, mildew, and whatever it is homeless people do down there at night.

More leathers - Rien by Etat Libre is my favourite straight-up leather. S-ex by S-Perfume is my favourite vague-interpretation of it.

Dzing was so very wonderful the first time I sampled it but over time the poop scent (which started off amusing and subtle) kept rooting itself in my associations so that it's all I notice everytime I even think of Dzing. That damned happy fluffy poop note doesn't disgust me at all... the proper explanation is that it's just way too disturbing for me. (anybody want the rest of my 1ml sample?)

I'm looking forward to sampling your suggestions gimme and tang... especially the ones with less dark/poopy/tobacco leathers. I'm begining to think that green notes with leathers would interest me better. Also interested in Guerlain's Habit Rouge EDT Legere as someone mentioned it might have some leather notes present.

Recent talk about gourmands/guerlain, has also inspired me to search out leather/gourmand scents... coffee/cigarrettes/leather would be interesting :)

Habit Rouge doesn't have much leather to my nose. For a "green" leather, Derby would be great, but very hard to come by.

I think you should try S-ex (I know, hardy har). It's a very different kind of leather...slightly aquatic, with a strange musk note, and an even stranger strawberry topnote. It's utterly weird, but probably one of the best scents ever created (which is something I don't say very often).