Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

got my samples from luckyscent today

out of the 7 i have tried 3.

cereus no 11

CDG - incense - kyoto

L'artisan - DZING

cereus: i couldn't even tell i applied it all, seems way to weak for my nose and this was the first scent i tried

Dzing: smells like a bathroom / urinal with the deodorizer in it

Kyto: by far my favorite, really great scent and by far the favorite out of the three i have tried so far, i'd recc. it to anyone who wants a deeper scent for evenings or even days. This scent is not too overpowering and has a warm aromatic aura around it. (will def. buy this if the other 4 scents are not on par)

What does everyone think about starting a thread in the Supermarket for fragrance swap/sale instead of doing it in this thread? That way, everyone could have their own post, and could edit it accordingly.

Cotton - do you think that would fly with the market mods?

yes yes yes yes

I'm too lazy to sign up for basenotes

Thanks to JJ's informative suggestion of using a bid-snipe webpage I was able to obtain a ridiculous amount of Rose Poivree for a ridiculous price for my standards.

I.must.stop.

But there's like 5 others I have resolved not to buy until much later for the wardrobe that I hope will not be put out of production:

-Guerlain Habit Rouge (all versions, especially the Legere one)

-YSL M7 fresh

-CDG Palisander & Kyoto & Avignon

I guess you could call these my holy grails... even I can see that I'm not aiming very high hehe, but I've come to a (temporary) part in my life where I don't want to tempt myself further. I hope this doesn't last long and I can go on further collecting and wearing out whole bottles of frags until my old age. I can see myself only sniffing samples when it comes to new fragrances for a good year I guess.

Gimmegimme, tang, others, how many full fragrance bottles do you actually have at any point of time? (pictures would be ... entertaining)

Thanks to JJ's informative suggestion of using a bid-snipe webpage I was able to obtain a ridiculous amount of Rose Poivree for a ridiculous price for my standards.

I.must.stop.

But there's like 5 others I have resolved not to buy until much later for the wardrobe that I hope will not be put out of production:

-Guerlain Habit Rouge (all versions, especially the Legere one)

-YSL M7 fresh

-CDG Palisander & Kyoto & Avignon

I guess you could call these my holy grails... even I can see that I'm not aiming very high hehe, but I've come to a (temporary) part in my life where I don't want to tempt myself further. I hope this doesn't last long and I can go on further collecting and wearing out whole bottles of frags until my old age. I can see myself only sniffing samples when it comes to new fragrances for a good year I guess.

Gimmegimme, tang, others, how many full fragrance bottles do you actually have at any point of time? (pictures would be ... entertaining)

I have about 30 bottles. I try my hardest to keep it to around that number. I might take a picture to show everyone (at the risk of looking like a total tool).

I have about 30 bottles. I try my hardest to keep it to around that number. I might take a picture to show everyone (at the risk of looking like a total tool).

I'll do it if you do it. Just watch out for using that flash... "light ruins fragrances" and yadaydadyaadaaa

Unless you have like more than 10 big bottles of montales, creeds or bond #9 I think you are safe from the "excessive" or "tool" catagory.

Unless you have like more than 10 big bottles of montales, creeds or bond #9 I think you are safe from the "excessive" or "tool" catagory.

Ha...couldn't have said it better myself.

think gimme already posted logn ago but whats a good way to preserve fragrances?

(the integrity of the fragrance)

I assume you mean keep it from going bad? Some more neurotic people keep them stored in the fridge (or a bar fridge), but light is more the culprit than heat. If it's something very rare and expensive, keep it in the box in a cool, dry area. I keep mine in medicine cabinets in my bedroom.

DO NOT leave them in the bathroom....no one likes a fogged-up bottle.

DO NOT leave them in the bathroom....no one likes a fogged-up bottle.

Yes I hear humidity plays a big part on how scents deteriorate... though I have no idea how humidity would permeate through sealed bottles.

I also hear that severely quick temperature changes can also be bad for perfumes... so keeping them in fridges could do more harm than good.

I went and took some pictures of my humble collection today:

dsc4383da8.jpg

Sample vials that I keep in an old lab/chemical container

dsc43811gs8.jpg

I like to keep my most treasured and/or non-daily-use ones in my accessory cabinet.

dsc43841ps3.jpg

Finally the bathroom/daily frags.

BTW I usually do quick cold showers in the dark (relaxing) so no potential humidity harm for these bottles.

it may be a "generic" brand, but i've always been a fan of chanel egoiste. although it was discontinued here quite a few years ago for some reason. i managed to pick a bottle up around 2-3 years ago at the heathrow duty free, so it might still be available in some parts.

I don't think Chanel's a generic brand...they're one of the few companies that actually produce their own perfume (rather than outsourcing). Egoiste is a brilliant and classic scent, that for some strange reason they make difficult to purchase. Worth the hassle though.

Just recieved my swap from monook! + rep for 2 great Bertrand Duchaufour scents.

Both kyoto and merchant loup were immediately likable... where kyoto was dry, merchant smelled of damp woods, where kyoto was fresh and green, m.l. was spicy and both were comforting in their unique way. Sad part is I think both are also rather light... I am worried that they might dissapear too quickly or stay too close to the skin without any silage because I hear this is a common thing with some Duchaufour's fragrances.

Though, I'm still rather interested in trying more of his body of work, especially Amourage XXV.

hey guys, update for my remainder of samples:

sushi imperiale: not what i had expected (very strong / nauseating to me)

CDG 888: a great scent, is fairly light and breezy. i like it might use it as a day time scent. :P

CDG 3: great aroma to it (i can really smell the unique "floweriness" to it), and i think its possible to even give as a safe gift to a lady friend. stronger than 888 in my opinion in terms of potency, but i guess that all comes down to how much you apply etc etc

I'd definitely reccomend CDG lines to start off with for someone new and there is def. something for everyone out there. will probably buy Kyoto! (very much in love with its scent)

anyone who'd like to try my samples just drop a pm and we'll work something out~~!

Alright, I'm hunting again. I want something a little darker/deeper/smoother than my usual safran troublant or dzing. I was thinking about trying Different Company's Jasmine de Nuit or Frederic Malle's Vetivier Extraordinare. Am I amiss? The descriptions of both look nice, but I'm kind of just avoiding work.

Alright, I'm hunting again. I want something a little darker/deeper/smoother than my usual safran troublant or dzing. I was thinking about trying Different Company's Jasmine de Nuit or Frederic Malle's Vetivier Extraordinare. Am I amiss? The descriptions of both look nice, but I'm kind of just avoiding work.

Jasmine de Nuit is probably the only thing the TDC's collection I don't like. It's overtly spicy and not all that pleasant. VE is very nice, but I wouldn't say "dark".

For a dark floral, maybe Osmanthus Inderdit by Parfums d'Empire. It's a dark, woody rose. Route du Vetiver is the darkest of the vetivers, but it's a bit on the strong side. Vetiver Orientale by Serge Lutens is really nice and fits your needs perfectly.

When I think of dark, I think of leather. Rien by Etat Libre or Cuir de Russie by Chanel.

Jasmine de Nuit is probably the only thing the TDC's collection I don't like. It's overtly spicy and not all that pleasant.

You know people on basenotes keep saying the same thing about Rose Poivree (well maybe instead of describinig it as spicy they use peppery) but I don't really see it. I like to nuke alot of my soups with black pepper though so maybe it's just because I like pepper so much that I've become anosmic. You ever made someone sneeze with your wearing of Rose Poivree?

You know people on basenotes keep saying the same thing about Rose Poivree (well maybe instead of describinig it as spicy they use peppery) but I don't really see it. I like to nuke alot of my soups with black pepper though so maybe it's just because I like pepper so much that I've become anosmic. You ever made someone sneeze with your wearing of Rose Poivree?

Most of the commentary on BN about Rose Poivree is the pre-formulated version, which was very skanky and dirty. The recent incarnation is much more floral and that might be the one you have (it's still very good...I like them both). Do you know how old yours is?

...but no, no one has ever sneezed while I was wearing it!

What's the opinion on Malle's Bigarrade Concentree? I'm considering my first big niche purchase, but I haven't decided on what to narrow my sights on.

It's very good, but you can save yourself a lot of money and get Cartier's Declaration instead.

If you're going to "invest", get something unique. In the Malle line, Noir Epices is my favourite. They also have a new one called Dans Tes Bras which I've yet to smell.

When it comes down to it though, it's your $$$, so buy what you like, not what I like. :D

It's very good, but you can save yourself a lot of money and get Cartier's Declaration instead.

If you're going to "invest", get something unique. In the Malle line, Noir Epices is my favourite. They also have a new one called Dans Tes Bras which I've yet to smell.

When it comes down to it though, it's your $$$, so buy what you like, not what I like. :D

After about 20 bottles or so of mass-market frags I am in the mood for something unique. . . My interest in Bigarrade was piqued by Eau d'Hermes, which has a nice, though somewhat weak, cumin note. Plus, I'm a sucker for bitter citrus. Noir Epices is on the "To Sample" list along with Vetiver Extraodinaire and CDG Hinoki; I'm definitely hesitant about dropping that kind of money and not getting something epic in return.

Glad to see you're on your way to sampling tons of scents to find the best scent... maybe you'll also find a good deal!

Just recently got my hands on some DS&Durga scents... they messed up my first order of samples (one cracked due to bad packaging) and resent some out to me with an apology letter and 2 samples of new scents. Very nice of them.

2889yh8.jpg

Anybody trying these? I just tried their new Vetyver (that I don't believe is avail for sale yet) on my wrist and it started out what I can only describe as a nice dark green scent that QUICKLY turns into a soapy floral vegetal scent that doesn't suit me... so off to the swap thread it goes. I wish it stayed dark green for longer. I also wish that it had more of a slightly sharp edge (citrus or ginger or something) to it. :(