Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

that's akin to saying someone recalling maple syrup on easter is stupid. perhaps thats personal history, personal tradition? i wasn't 'pulling the girl card.' rather, i was trying to explain --badly-- how as a girl, ive made a habit of wearing these things *with* those scents, and so ive now come to think of them hand-in-hand. now that im looking over it again, i see one sentence was omitted, lost in cyberspace. but. they weren't attempts to encapsulate the scents into tangible things that somehow correlate to the different notes in the first place. maple syrup and easter, because mum would make me pancakes on easter. it would make little sense to anyone else.

and, i don't know where or how you tested these perfumes, but with the natural oils present on my skin, notte, velvet rope, and fico bloom quite nicely. and *that* is not a girl card. just chemistry.

You could be an elephant for all I care...still a stupid statement. Notte is a half-assed attempt at ginger; Velvet Rope is on par with a shampoo fragrance, and I'm not sure how you associate figs with pearls.

I agree that CBIHP is a great line...you'll see its often discussed here. You'll also see that most of us don't care if a scent is marketed towards men or women, and quite often the best fragrances aren't directed at either.

...and pulling the "girl" card will probably work for most of the guys on this site, so you can probably use it to your advantage...but not with me.

I'm thinking about buying the signature Hermes scent and wonder if any users have have any other similar scent to recommend. Other scents I love are Carolina Herrera 212, Polo Blue, Thierry Mugler and Armani Code. Something along those lines is what I'm interested in.

I'm thinking about buying the signature Hermes scent and wonder if any users have have any other similar scent to recommend. Other scents I love are Carolina Herrera 212, Polo Blue, Thierry Mugler and Armani Code. Something along those lines is what I'm interested in.

Which Hermes scent are you looking at? Terre d'Hermes would fit in with what you want. Otherwise, maybe Cartier Declaration, Eau de Cartier, or Bvlgari Pour Homme might be of interest

I can't remember if I already mentioned it, but I picked up Vetiver Oriental after you reminded me of it. Turns out it wasn't what I remembered (after smelling most of the line, I think I'd been remembering either their Cedre or Amber Sultan). And, yeah, blows away almost everything I can think of for a vetiver scent. And, as my friend said, "it's what every girl wants to cuddle up with."

I can't remember if I already mentioned it, but I picked up Vetiver Oriental after you reminded me of it. Turns out it wasn't what I remembered (after smelling most of the line, I think I'd been remembering either their Cedre or Amber Sultan). And, yeah, blows away almost everything I can think of for a vetiver scent. And, as my friend said, "it's what every girl wants to cuddle up with."

Glad you like it...even if it wasn't what you remembered. I prefer it to both Cedre (which is mostly tuberose) and Ambre Sultan (which is really cloying). You can't really go wrong with anything in that line, but some are better than others.

any other suggestions for beautyhabit.com? the coupon code still works...

so far im thinking about

Different Company - Bois d'Iris

L'Artisan - Tea for Two

any other suggestions for beautyhabit.com? the coupon code still works...

so far im thinking about

Different Company - Bois d'Iris

L'Artisan - Tea for Two

Serge Lutens Bois de Violette, Institut Tres Bien Cologne L'Italienne would be my choices, but Lutens are a bit on the pricey side to buy without knowing what they smell like. ITB has small bottles for $40, and they smell great (although you'd probably save it for summer).

Bois d'Iris is a great choice too. :)

gimme ever smelled Tauers vetiver dance? what do you think about it compared to other vetiver scents?

It's bad. I'm all for the independent stuff, but it's just bad.

I'm interested in picking up a new perfume; has anyone had any experience with DKNY Women? I'm not sure if it has another name.. it looks like this:

MakeCappedImage.html?file=images%2fproducts%2fsku%2ffull%2f223W.jpg

That's a fabulous fragrances...highly recommended (for boys and girls, despite the name).

Hey guys just wondering, does any of you have the CDG original EDP?

Do you like it and wear it?

I like the smell, but it's so weird and strong. I am afraid to knock people out with it...

I once had it, but agree that it's extremely strong and can turn unpleasant. White is a good alternative...same base, but with more floral notes to calm down the spice.

I forgot, I am selling a retail 50mL bottle over 95% full in the fragrance swap/sale thread... guaranteed authentic. ;)

You're hilarious. :D

The concentration of essential oils.

• Perfume extract (Extrait): 15-40% (IFRA: typical 20%) aromatic compounds
  • Eau de Parfum (EdP), Parfum de Toilette (PdT): 10-20% (typical ~15%) aromatic compounds. Sometimes listed as "eau de perfume" or "millésime".
  • Eau de Toilette (EdT): 5-15% (typical ~10%) aromatic compounds
  • Eau de Cologne (EdC): Chypre citrus type perfumes with 3-8% (typical ~5%) aromatic compounds
  • Splash and After shave: 1-3% aromatic compounds
    (from wiki)

^ what he said.

Most men's stuff is only available in Eau de Toilette. Occasionally you'll see an Eau de Parfum, which is stronger. Eau de Cologne is the 2nd weakest concentration, after After Shave. Eau de Cologne can also refer to a type of fragrance, which is based on citrus and herbs (like 4711).

The thing is, until you try various concentrations, you never know which will last longer. I have some Eau de Colognes that outlast Eau de Parfums because of the ingredients and/or the quality.

^ what he said.

Most men's stuff is only available in Eau de Toilette. Occasionally you'll see an Eau de Parfum, which is stronger. Eau de Cologne is the 2nd weakest concentration, after After Shave. Eau de Cologne can also refer to a type of fragrance, which is based on citrus and herbs (like 4711).

The thing is, until you try various concentrations, you never know which will last longer. I have some Eau de Colognes that outlast Eau de Parfums because of the ingredients and/or the quality.

but does after shave have more alcohol or antiseptic or anything like that

but does after shave have more alcohol or antiseptic or anything like that

It would have more alcohol, yes. Basically, perfumes are made up of (1) alcohol, (2) water, and (3) fragrance oils. The stronger the concentration, the more oil...the weaker the concentration (after shave, etc.), the more alcohol and water.

okay im new in this 'real' fragrance game. what would you recommend for a guy that likes;

for nights/colder days:

allure by chanel

hypnose by Lancome

he by armani

day/warmer days:

dior fahrenheit 32

i guess i like woodsy smells. any of the more intricate fragrances i should have a sniff of?

okay im new in this 'real' fragrance game. what would you recommend for a guy that likes;

for nights/colder days:

allure by chanel

hypnose by Lancome

he by armani

day/warmer days:

dior fahrenheit 32

i guess i like woodsy smells. any of the more intricate fragrances i should have a sniff of?

I mean this in the nicest possible way...those all stink like gay bar. Try these:

Cold:

-Declaration Essence by Cartier

-Bvlgari Pour Homme

-Malin+Goetz Synthesized Musk (or Kiehl's Musk Eau de Toilette)

-Gucci Pour Homme

Warm:

-Dior Homme

-Guerlain Vetiver

-Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

-Kenzo Power

anybody have experience with lolita lempicka au masculin as a deodorant? I'm thinking of picking up the deodorant over the actual scent as this would be good to wear for sweaty party/club situations. haha fragrant deodorant... stinks of contradiction.

I'm not big on deodorants...I'm an anti-perspirant kinda guy. The thought of licorice & sweat doesn't really appeal to me though...

well i dont know anything about scents really, if i run out of a bottle i get a new one at the store that has them. They carry most of the mainstream stuff. Are there any good sites where i can order any of the ones you mentioned from?

may not be the right place to ask, but a while ago I was talking to a school friend of my fathers about becoming a perfumer (he is a perfume consultant to Chanel and some other names that I forget/didn't recognize), because I have a really sharp nose. How do I go about training for this/doing it? I'm actually very interested.