Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Premier Figuier has been attained! For some reason, the coconut in this scent doesn't rear it's head when it's on me so I'm a happy camper. Picked it up from The Perfume Shoppe (because LuckyScent was having issues). Received it very quickly and the owner of the store was good enough to throw in ten L'Artisan samples or so.

Gimme: The website's great.

I'm about to sleep right now but I just had to say that I have fallen in love with Rose Poivree. It's perfect. I would wear it daily without care that's how much I love it. I've tried Paestum Rose again to compare for a few days in hopes of being satisfied with a less costly alternative but I can't settle for less... it's so comfy to wear... very unisex...

I am actually thinking of selling a dior homme jacket so I can get my hands on this. Between this and my fixation on CDG white this winter I'm gonna be broooooke.

black orchid by tom ford is my current scent, and im almost out, and i cant find it in stores anymore, whats something similar? it has a patchouli and vanilla base.

He has a new scent coming out called something Patchouli...might be of interest. You should be able to find Black Orchid still though.

i just picked up a dyptique candle for $50, anyone interested in the area should check out pure on locke st. in hamilton

the feu de bois (or firewood) scent, its really interesting

Wallpaper magazine scents their offices with that candle. It's quite nice.

Premier Figuier has been attained! For some reason, the coconut in this scent doesn't rear it's head when it's on me so I'm a happy camper. Picked it up from The Perfume Shoppe (because LuckyScent was having issues). Received it very quickly and the owner of the store was good enough to throw in ten L'Artisan samples or so.

Gimme: The website's great.

Thanks! The lady at theperfumeshoppe.com is great...they're in Vancouver if anyone's been looking for stuff in Canada so you don't have to ship over the border.

I'm about to sleep right now but I just had to say that I have fallen in love with Rose Poivree. It's perfect. I would wear it daily without care that's how much I love it. I've tried Paestum Rose again to compare for a few days in hopes of being satisfied with a less costly alternative but I can't settle for less... it's so comfy to wear... very unisex...

I am actually thinking of selling a dior homme jacket so I can get my hands on this. Between this and my fixation on CDG white this winter I'm gonna be broooooke.

RP will always be one of my fav's. Tip - The Different Company sell aluminum "refill" bottles (huge 150ml spray bottles) called Estagnon. They're around $150 (check www.beautyhabit.com) and will save you some cash if you don't care about the fancy glass bottle.

just ordered a bottle of Bergamote by The Different Company..looking to add a few more bottles to the rotation.

Any recommendations for a nice scent for fall/winter?

Some fall/winter suggestions:

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur - vanilla, cinnamon and musk. Potent stuff.

Caron Yatagan - pine needles, celery and leather. Weird and potent stuff.

L'Artisan Parfumeur - Dzing! - Cotton candy, sawdust and zoo animals. Weird, interesting, and in my opinion, beautiful.

Guerlain Vetiver - the classic vetiver. Some would hold this is best in warm weather, but I think it's classic year 'round; very versatile.

If you have a Parisian connection, I recommend Cuir Mauresque or Fumerie Turque from Serge Lutens' Parisienne collection. The former is leather with oranges and spice, the latter is something like cherry shisha. Both are warm, rich "orientals."

I'm sure gimmegimme will come up with a few for you as well. ;)

tangerine and gimme thanks for the info..i took both of your advice and ordered Dzing! and Dzongkha samples from the L'Artisan Parfumeur website..i was pretty interested in the Lutens' scents also but i had no luck finding a website that carried them let alone had samples..ill let you know what i think when they arrive and again many thanks for the input.

gimmegimme -

thanks to your blog i decided to do some cologne shopping

picked up

sisley - eau de campagne

estee lauder - beyond paradise

hermes - concentre d'orange verte

guerlain - vetiver

am loving all of them so far, now to scour basenotes for scents for fall/winter.

tangerine and gimme thanks for the info..i took both of your advice and ordered Dzing! and Dzongkha samples from the L'Artisan Parfumeur website..i was pretty interested in the Lutens' scents also but i had no luck finding a website that carried them let alone had samples..ill let you know what i think when they arrive and again many thanks for the input.

Lutens samples are more difficult to come by. If you live near a Sephora, some of the stores carry them and will make samples for you. Otherwise - www.theperfumedcourt.com. A bit expensive though.

Im debating wether to get Dior homme or Dior Homme sport fragrance. Wich one would be best?

Dior Homme for sure - DHS is horrible.

I like Dzing! a lot, although I sometimes I like things on me that others find odd. Maybe for winter. I wonder if Premier Figuier would carry through to winter?

I don't really pay too much attention to "when" you should wear something. Just wear what you're in the mood for.

gimmegimme -

thanks to your blog i decided to do some cologne shopping

picked up

sisley - eau de campagne

estee lauder - beyond paradise

hermes - concentre d'orange verte

guerlain - vetiver

am loving all of them so far, now to scour basenotes for scents for fall/winter.

Glad you found some that you like! Don't scour too hard on BN...they're mostly retards with useless opinions. Tangerine and I will have a Fall list on the site shortly.

I've been reading this thread for awhile, and it just amazes me. I never really put that much thought into perfumes or scents that much at all. I've always been stuck wearing whatever odd random scent was lying around. That and the random Christmas gift from a fair weather god-parent.

So, well, I've only gone and spent my money on fragrances only twice in my entire lifetime. Both were scents I genuinely just liked. First was Lacoste - Essential, and the second was Diesel - Fuel for Life. Both were made pre-Fragrance Thread mouse down.

Well, I've finally ran out of both, and I was wondering where to go next after these two scents. I've been meaning to purchase something with my newly (and barely understood) Fragrance Thread knowledge, but, honestly, somebody invent some sort of Smellavision, it'd make this thread a lot easier.

I don't want to make my next purchase an entirely blind one, and there are really none to check here in the Philippines, any recommendations?

Some of the best news I've read this millenium is the wonderful news that Donna Karan is to relaunch my favourite scent ever Fuel for men & Chaos for women check here for more details.

I can't wait, only downer is that the great bottles are not going to be the same as they were, they now look like generic cannisters - still it's the scent that counts and these are right up there for me !

Launched yesterday 18/08 I do believe - get you noses down to DK !

L'Artisan Parfumeur - Dzing! - Cotton candy, sawdust and zoo animals. Weird, interesting, and in my opinion, beautiful.

This sounds like me!

Any more info?

Oh and gimmegimme, reading your review of Avignon all of the sudden made me realize again how completely nuts I a drove an Irish Catholic girl for a while, not having those strong memories with the scent myself I was often a bit puzzled by how extreme she reacted to me when I wore that. heh heh...

Ok I'm done with my current Hugo cologne and I would like to get into a new fragrance.

I have spend a lot of time at the airport, waiting for my flight, in those fragrance shops (whatever the correct english word is for that). But they never seem to have anything other than the major brands. I'm quite interested in the Cdg fragrances. Is there any website where I can order those really small samples of a couple of their colognes?

Anyone tried "un jardine sur le nil" by Hermes? its very unique!

If it wasnt for the bad customer service that the Hermes guy gave me, I would have bought it. I love Jean-Claude Ellena's work, it's neither too simple or too complex but has just the right amount of intrigue. He just came out with a new "Un jardin" one too, but not as good as the nil one.

This sounds like me!

Any more info?

Well, there's the review on peredepierre.com, if you haven't seen it already. ;)

Here's another review that I like.

In short, it's an unusual leather scent, with sweet and animalic notes... a strange combination, as I said. Some people say it doesn't last on them, so definitely get hold of a sample to try before you buy a large amount. It lasts all day on me, but YMMV.

This sounds like me!

Any more info?

Oh and gimmegimme, reading your review of Avignon all of the sudden made me realize again how completely nuts I a drove an Irish Catholic girl for a while, not having those strong memories with the scent myself I was often a bit puzzled by how extreme she reacted to me when I wore that. heh heh...

Dzing is super strange...but very wearable at the same time.

I have a lot of associations like that...scent can trigger all kinds of weird, lost memories (good and bad). Avignon is like that for many (well, probs not with the catholic schoolgirl).

Ok I'm done with my current Hugo cologne and I would like to get into a new fragrance.

I have spend a lot of time at the airport, waiting for my flight, in those fragrance shops (whatever the correct english word is for that). But they never seem to have anything other than the major brands. I'm quite interested in the Cdg fragrances. Is there any website where I can order those really small samples of a couple of their colognes?

Depending on where you travel, they can have some interesting scents at airport dutyfree's. Limited editions and whatnot. Anyway - CDG samples from www.theperfumedcourt.com or www.luckyscent.com. I'm not sure where you're located though...

Anyone tried "un jardine sur le nil" by Hermes? its very unique!
If it wasnt for the bad customer service that the Hermes guy gave me, I would have bought it. I love Jean-Claude Ellena's work, it's neither too simple or too complex but has just the right amount of intrigue. He just came out with a new "Un jardin" one too, but not as good as the nil one.

I'm more of a Jardin sur le mediteranee fan, but both it and sul le nil are great. The latest (mousson), not so much.

hi everyone

today i tried some fragrances and i narrowed to maybe 3 that i like alot. i am 34 and need something versatile perhaps for night occasions

John Varvatos (too oldman?)

or

YSL L'Homme (too sweet?)

or

Terre D'Hermes (too peppery?)

please advice thank you all

hi everyone

today i tried some fragrances and i narrowed to maybe 3 that i like alot. i am 34 and need something versatile perhaps for night occasions

John Varvatos (too oldman?)

or

YSL L'Homme (too sweet?)

or

Terre D'Hermes (too peppery?)

please advice thank you all

I personally have the YSL L'Homme and Varvatos Vintage (don't quite remember how it compares to his self-named fragrance). The YSL is definitely good for a casual day. It is pretty sweet, but that was something my wardrobe was lacking. The Vintage is my favorite, but is definitely suited for a not-so-casual day/night time wear. I haven't tried the Terre, but I would go with Tangerine's suggestion as I know the other two are not very versatile.