things i've learned over the years...

mizanation

Some threads such as 'Beautiful Japanese Girls' probably should not be opened at workspace no matter how tempting it may be.

Got this one from my old man: If you take a shit, you gotta wipe your ass.

I guess he wanted to teach me the importance being responsible for one's actions, and/or going all the way through with the job/task that one started.

then again, i've met good number of people who insist that they get clean breaks almost all the time...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ yeah. a smile always puts the other person at ease.

smile more. it will make you feel better. i heard about a study that found out that smiling, even fake smiling, improves one's mood.

here's a couple from kerouac:

"first thought=best thought"

"you are a genius all the time."

• 4 months later...

a couple that have come to me recently...

if you can't enjoy money, you don't deserve it.

you should never feel guilty about being happy.

don't let the unhappiness of people around you bring you down.

some of life's best times are having good food and drink with good friends and family.

I've come up with my own through past experiences:

Learn to take what you get before you can get what you want.

Failure occurs to those who lack self confidence.

There is no right or wrong way to lace your shoes, just like there is no right or wrong way to gain knowledge.

Then i also have some quotes from a few of my favorite philosophers, Lao Tzu being my most inspirational:

"Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing."- Abraham Lincoln

"Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you. "- Lao Tzu

"Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. "-Lao Tzu

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. "- Lao Tzu

"If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve."- Lao Tzu

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power."- Lao Tzu

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."-Albert Einstien

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value."- Albert Einstien

In life, don't make gift because you won't receive in return.

Quality is in some extent always better than quantity.

Wasting is not worth it. Working hard is generaly worth it.

People will do business with you easier (well, relationship in general) when you are or look well off.

• 10 months later...

Words to live life by...

"Time is the only tangible luxury."

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.

I got to say it was a good day" told by Mr. O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, also known as the "Nigga Ya Love to Hate"

"There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently." by Robert Evans, The Kid Stays in the Picture.

"Everything is good for you

If it doesnt kill you" by Crowded House

And to end....

"Well, I'm happy to be of this planet. I didn't choose it, but a planet is a planet. I was born in France, but I would have been happy to have been born in Senegal or in Romania or Japan. I don't care. This planet is both so small and so big, but I'm part of it."

-Manu Chao

Cowardice asks the question: "Is it safe"? Expediency asks the question: "Is it politic"? Vanity asks the question: "Is it popular?" But conscience asks the question: "Is it right?" And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Love cannot be taught...it must be enabled" - Anne Fadiman

"This is my life homie, you decide yours" - Kanye West

Also... this only goes for some people...

It might be vain but take pride in how you dress if you can afford it. Other than a lover's caress there isnt anything that gets more personal than the clothes you have on your back. Wear your style like a second skin, so stay true to yourself.

So basically, don't be a poser.

a clear mind is underrated

if you need drugs or alcohol to deal with stress, youre not dealing with stress

money doesnt matter if you have friends and family. you will get what you need to make it thru another day.

bitches anit shit but hoes and tricks, but a virtuous woman is worth more than any amount of money.

the internetz are serious buisness... so get off your computer, go outside, ride a bike, take a walk, drink some beer with friends, fuck some girls, and realize that seriousness stifles life.

a clear mind is underrated

if you need drugs or alcohol to deal with stress, youre not dealing with stress

money doesnt matter if you have friends and family. you will get what you need to make it thru another day.

bitches anit shit but hoes and tricks, but a virtuous woman is worth more than any amount of money.

the internetz are serious buisness... so get off your computer, go outside, ride a bike, take a walk, drink some beer with friends, fuck some girls, and realize that seriousness stifles life.

read it

learn it

live it

my dad is really into these types of life lessons, and he's mad successful, so i listen... a few i've learned:

golden rule, anyone?? Unless i'm a tard, i didn't see it anywhere in this thread

buy cheap, buy twice (and always have at least 2 back-ups)

if someone asks a favour of you, don't bitch and moan about it, smile and say you'd love to...these kinds of things really count

showing up is 50% of the battle...of those that do show up, most don't do their job properly. Some do just as they're asked to, and a small percentage of people exceed what is expected of them. do 110% and there ain't no stopping you

early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise (somehow i doubt this one will have a lot of resonance with the majority of superfuture...)

it's amazing how much the little things count...bake cookies for your neighbour when you move in, and they'll shovel your walk. tell someone they've done a good job and they'll be more than happy to help you out when the time comes...etc etc.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, one that my dad always stresses...

measure twice, cut once.

"There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently." by Robert Evans, The Kid Stays in the Picture.

I really like this one!

Things tend to even out. Religion, some people say, has caused wars and fighting. Yes, but it’s also boring to sit through a church service, so it evens out. One moment you’re depressed because your doctor tells you that you have alcoholism. But then you cheer up when you go home and find a hidden bottle of vodka you had forgotten about.

Things are evening out all the time, if you take time to notice, like I do. Let’s say you want a big cupcake, with lots of icing, so you go buy one and eat it. But then you realize, I don’t have the cupcake anymore. Or maybe you take a bite of salsa that’s labelled “HOT,†and it doesn’t seem that hot, but then about a second later it seems really hot.

You might hear that some guy you know is having a party, so you call him up, but he says there’s no party. But then you call back, using a different voice, and suddenly there is a party.

One day, you ask people to take a look at a skin rash you have. Then, a few days later, you’re looking at their rashes. You send someone a death threat and then, mysteriously, the police come to your house and threaten you.

Maybe you find a nice flat pebble on a riverbank, and when you pick it up and throw it it skips across the water several times. But then the next pebble you can’t even pry loose because, what is this, glue mud? You notice an ant drifting away on a leaf in the water. Then you look up to see your aunt drifting away in a rowboat.

Eventually, I believe, everything evens out. Long ago, an asteroid hit our planet and killed our dinosaurs. But, in the future, maybe we’ll go to another planet and kill their dinosaurs.

Even in the afterlife things probably even out, although I can’t imagine how.

Still don’t believe that things even out? Try this simple test: flip a coin, over and over again, calling out “Heads!†or “Tails!†after each flip. Half the time people will ask you to please stop.

Once you realize that things even out, it’s like a light being turned on in your head, then being turned off, then being turned to “dim.â€

Probably the perfect example of things evening out happened to me just last month. I was walking to the post office to mail a death threat. It was a beautiful day. I was happily singing away in my super-loud singing voice. I didn’t step on any chewing gum, like I usually do, and when I threw my gum down it didn’t stick to my fingertips. As I rounded the corner, there was a bum begging for change. I was feeling pretty good, so I gave him a five-dollar bill. At first I tried to make him do a little dance for the five dollars, but he wouldn’t do it, so I gave him the five dollars anyway.

Not long after that, I was reading the paper, and there was a picture of the bum. He had won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry! He had a little bigger nose and straighter teeth, but I’m pretty sure it was him. So, my five dollars had made him change his ways and become a chemistry guy.

A few days later, I was walking by the corner again, and there was the bum, back begging. So, things had evened out. He had gotten the Nobel Prize, but now he was a bum again. I asked him for the five dollars back, but he started saying weird stuff that I guess was chemistry formulas or something.

I told my friend Don the story, but he said it wasn’t an example of things evening out so much as just a stupid story. That’s interesting, Don, because you saying that evens out what I said to your mother that time.

I have a lot of stories about things evening out, but I think the one about the Nobel Prize-winning bum is the best. I’d say it would take about three of my other stories to even out that one.