things i've learned over the years...

mizanation

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

find a band, a genre of music, whatever that you love, and listen to it as much as you can. I can't tell you how many times I've been upset, sad, angry, whatever, and I've listened to music for 20 minutes or so, and it puts everything in perspective and lets you calm down. in addition, going to an incredible concert with people/a person you really care about can be one of the most incredible (natural) highs on the planet.

and two quotes from oscar wilde that I've taken to heart:

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

"Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative."

Everything will be ok at the end of the day,

anyone that disagrees is a realist and no one likes a realist, no matter what they say

Heads down, power through, sacrifice will solve many problems

Oh and being a nice person means always lending people your pencils and never seeing those pencils again, you have to make a decision early on that you're going to be a nice person because it makes you happy. That happiness you get for being a nice person when you lend someone your pencil HAS to be greater than your anger at not having pencils. Otherwise you'll just be angry all the time.

Being nice = sacrificing

Also ALWAYS find something in common with a teacher, like a TV show, an author you both like whatever. It really helps when they're yelling at you and you can ask if they saw last weeks episode of The Office and you start talking about the funniest parts.

Be willing to fail and accept failure

Be more disciplined

Be more relaxed and self motivated

Taking things one step at a time

Be more aware of my spending habits

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished"

Seriously, proving how shitty the quality of this forum has gotten. Everything after page 8 are positively garbage posts. How can we fix this?

and ichi you are like 20 why are you contributing to "things ive learned over the years" thread?

Guest jeffvyain
One of the greatest freedoms one can have is in one's attitude. You're in control with regards to what kind of mood you're in .

...for truth

Seriously, proving how shitty the quality of this forum has gotten. Everything after page 8 are positively garbage posts. How can we fix this?

and ichi you are like 20 why are you contributing to "things ive learned over the years" thread?

Learning never stops homie.. I may be 20 but I still have a long way to go, I still make mistakes here and there but it's part of life..

Be willing to fail and accept failure

Be more disciplined

Be more relaxed and self motivated

Taking things one step at a time

Be more aware of my spending habits

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished"

Meaningless generalities and philisophical platitudes do little more than occupy space. They have in them no instructive, edifying, or intellectual value. Such things are useful however, as indicators; the advice of the person offering them is to be avoided at all costs.

Ahhh the things I've learned.

Thanks professor...

lemme sum up that whole schpeal then for you..

one thing i've learned: You don't know what you dont know, that's why you don't have, because if you did know, you would have it.

^ichi if i thought like you id have a million lines a dribble to throw up on here

like i could say,

Make sure you let a girl know youre attracted to her as soon as you get in cool with her lest not get thrown into the void known as the friend zone.

But i'm only 20, when speaking about life lessons how can my views hold much validity if im just NOW starting to experience life as an adult. You see? I may be right, but since I havnt been an adult for very long, I shouldnt be dishing out life lessons

Leave the life lessons to the old timers yeah?

lol, but this thread isnt called life's lessons it's called thing's you've learned over the years... Growing up is still part of the learning process, so although we're both 20, there are still obstacles that we must overcome in order to accomplish ones goals..

For a 20 year old, I've learned quite a substantial amount of information that truly did help me become who I am right now, but truthfully I still have a long way to go in terms of finding a balance which is why I thought it would be necessary to post up my thoughts which I've learned over the past few years philosophical or not..

So although what I may have said doesn't sound valid to you or Hali, it makes pure sense to me which is the whole reason behind this thread.. What "I have learned"..

Don't play the blamegame. It's petty and doesn't resolve anything. (refer to the issues of race today).

Don't let issues between friends fester if you care about them. You'll feel so much better when you address the problem.

Take responsibility for your actions.

Learn to laugh at yourself.

Don't spend time with people who don't know how to laugh at themselves.

If you've been pushed down pick yourself up as fast as you can and keep going.

Don't be a bigot.

Don't be ignorant. Always question your convictions.

Don't hate people. They can be of use to you one day.

Don't use religion as a trend. Don't follow religion blindly.

this is a pretty narrow-,minded straigt-outta college mentality, but this is what ive come up with so far:

i could die tomorrow, so why waste my time doing things i dont like to do? I try to find the beauty in simple things and have come to realize material possessons arent akin to happiness.

Happiness isnt really anything but a word or better yet, a temporary feeling. Tryng to find the meaning of life is useless because we are here for the same reason that bears, snakes and alligators are here. (who knows why). We just preoccupy ourselves with the constant need to obtain more things, and that ultimately ends up becoming our lives. Like for me, im coming out of college and into my adult life wth huge debts? Is that anyway to welcome a newcomer to the real world? Send me out to gain knowledge only to leave me in detb? Debts that i must work to pay off, thus making me an indentured servant to my own knowledge?

and by no means am i a depressed or mopey person. its just my take on the larger scheme of things. Once you can accept that ther eis no great meaning for your existence, you learn to live in the moment because the only thing that is 100% real is death. So why waste your time on lame shit? Do what you like

Like john lennon said " Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"