The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Suit Up is excellent, so many shots of original jackets and a fantastic reference book. As it's in Japanese it means, at least for me, it's picture led, but it is still pretty clear. As it's chronological it goes through the lot with a big healthy section on A-2's and the photography is jolly good.

And it's cheap!

Yes I have a copy (probably one of many who do) and I can highly recommend it. Beautifull photos!

It's not a chronological guide as such, like: "Suit up - the flight jacket", it goes by campaigns and theatres of war, but it has many wonderfull photos and some accompanying history of the wearer/owner. There are A-2's, M-422's, G-1's, B-15's and all the nylon jackets too.

Mostly about the A-2 and 'nose-art', but also early history and alot of rare jacket pix. I'd say go for it!

I bought it, cost £30 some six years ago. Worth every penny.

Both the 'suit up!' and the conway/mcguire books are different (language aside) - I bought both to cover all bases really, the S'-up has alot of archive pics, an illustrative chronological guide, temperature range in which the intended garment was suited, a large A-2 section, then all the other general main/collectable models are covered. For me, seeing the early L-2 and M-422 jackets was great. I think the photographs are all from three collections, and a few museums. The conway book covers other peoples jackets and their stories and is (obviously) a bit more of a read. Has a forward by John Campbell.

The other two books I have no experience of, sorry.

Edited by Dr_Heech

• 2 weeks later...

on the right topic.

thanks Paul.

is there & where is the difference between the G-1and the M422a?

The M422 and the M422a generally speaking, have longer bodies than the later 7823s (G-1s) Willis & Geiger 422 had very short sleeves. The Gordon & Ferguson M422a had a larger left pocket with a stitched pencil slot. There was a lot of variation between makers especially in those jackets before the 7823 Ds.

also just worth mentioning is that the m422a came around from '40 and in '43 the an-6552 and an-j3a came along.

It wasn't called a g-1 until after ww2 in '47 with the 55j14. It later was tagged a mil-j-7823 from '51 on until 71 with three letters in brackets that give the date of manufacture.

if anyone ever wondered why different "g-1's" selling for way different prices it's all down to age.

I'm no expert on variations or contracts just lucky enough to own a couple of original 55j14's and always keep an eye out for any size 44's so like to know what i'm looking for.

Haven't been wearing my G-1 much. Why? 'Cos the nipper's main jacket is a flight jacket and we don't want a Mini Me effect going on. But the good news is we just found him a vintage Varsity jacket, so this is coming out again.

Foster 7823AER in the snow...

veldtinthesnow.jpg

Love this jacket, I just picked up something similar, a Werber 7823 from 1951-54, my first G-1 after a multitude of GW repro A-2's.The mouton needs replacing along with the knits but the goat has some real nice character with plenty of scuffs. I'll post some pics up once it's done.

Ditto. I started off aching for an A1, then seeing peoples A2's , my heart wandered. Now these are making me feel very unfaithful :)

A friend of mine bought this one very recently

m422a.jpg

and annoyingly it fits me far better than him :unsure::P

Love this jacket, I just picked up something similar, a Werber 7823 from 1951-54, my first G-1 after a multitude of GW repro A-2's.The mouton needs replacing along with the knits but the goat has some real nice character with plenty of scuffs. I'll post some pics up once it's done.

do you have someone to replace knits and mouton?

Yeh, kind of. I have a fella overseas who wants to take a look at the contract with an idea to produce a repro who'll do it for next to nothing but has mentioned it'll take a long time.

You know anyone in the Uk who'll replace the lining and mouton? Possibly the cuff knits too. I'd prefer a slightly speedier job as it's a great fit and would love to get some wear in before summer.

speedy?... short answer no. aero leather have had one of my 55j14's for nearly a year! it's in for lining, zip, mouton and knits.

eastman will sell you all the parts you want but won't do the work which is fair enough. got a piece of mouton from them as i'm having a go changing it myself on my other 55j14.

had a look around the net and found a few local alteration tailors that list leather work and motorcycle leather repair shops that i did consider contacting. you could try doing the same if you haven't already, might be a good place to start.

Yeh, a year seems a bit too long but I imagine the priority is their own stuff. I reckon I'll take a punt on this chap over the water. I did contemplate getting hold of some mouton and attempting the collar myself but I have enough trouble stitching my daughters awards patches on her Rainbows top. I'll leave it to the pro's.

I'm half tempted to wear it as it is for while.

that's exactly what is happening. email them every now and than to get the same "we're busy but it'll be done soon" explanation. guess it will be worth it when it does get done. it was in a state when i bought it so i knew it was a project. the shell is in great shape so well worth the hassle.

the other one was in perfect condition when i bought it, like new infact. started to wear it regular and every time i put it on something came undone or the lining ripped then the mouton started to fall apart! fifty years of storage had taken it's toll.

i have a '51 size 42 mil-j 7823(aer) werber sportswear that i'm about to move on if anyone is interested?

Could be, same contract I have now. If you would message me the details that'd be great (price, shoulders, chest, sleeves, back length collar seam to end of knit and a few pics).

Cheers,

Steve

Yeh, kind of. I have a fella overseas who wants to take a look at the contract with an idea to produce a repro who'll do it for next to nothing but has mentioned it'll take a long time.

You know anyone in the Uk who'll replace the lining and mouton? Possibly the cuff knits too. I'd prefer a slightly speedier job as it's a great fit and would love to get some wear in before summer.

I would see if you could get your hands on some vintage mouton. A great source can be womens jackets from the 30s and 40s. Old mouton is much different from the stuff you find today. I think MASH has really good knits.

Edited by airfrogusmc

Don't know if this helps but this guy on ebay sells cuffs, zips etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTG-CHERRY-RED-knit-cuff-waistband-Set-A2-G-1-G1-A1-flight-Jacket-WWII-/260936450969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc1064399

Might be worth a try with one of the leather shops along Brick lane. Can't vouch if they'd match the required detailing but if you ask around...?

There was also some fella reviewed in either Mensfile or Jocks&Nerds this issue (Can't remember which mag) who made & repaired leather items.

Posted · Hidden by Hajduk, February 9, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Hajduk, February 9, 2012 - No reason given

thanks for the replies about my enquirie 2 days ago.

still about the G-1. i am looking the model from lostworldinc.com. based on NYC.

someone know them well? their services?

i am new on this topic, but i know with the jackets i will go.

it will be the G-1 from them or the M422a from aeroleather.co.uk

thanks.

Great G-1 Deluxe, real nice, I particularly like the purple-ish knits.

Here's my 7823, I love it but you can tell straight away that the mouton has had it. The waistband depsite being for an A-2 is fine by me but the cuffs and lining are knackered.

_SWH2958.jpg

and while we're at it here's my Good Wear Perry that I'm currently breaking in:

_SWH2959.jpg

Edited by Cobblers