The Flight Jacket Thread

still

ChuckO yes you are right MOST originals tended to be between 2 -3 oz usually not heavier and a good deal of them were in the 2 1/2 oz range and usually had more grain than most modern repros. Most of the big repro makers are worried that their customers won't by thin nasty hides. Most rely heavily on the Japanese market and that market tends to like according to the makers heavy smooth hides.

Can anyone tell if this leather is any good from the pictures? I love the style of this jacket (a very A2 like cop jacket) but I'm worried about the leather being cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260400837033&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Actually I think this company Taylor's Leather wear is selling off new leather jackets for like $55 buy it now. I guess they are pretty good and run about $249 retail. Search the seller: taylorsleatherwear

Actually I think this company Taylor's Leather wear is selling off new leather jackets for like $55 buy it now. I guess they are pretty good and run about $249 retail. Search the seller: taylorsleatherwear

Thanks for the info.

Could anyone give me some help ordering from the Hinoya website? I'm trying to get hold of a Buzz Rickson B-15c (BLUE) in a 44 or 46, but would like some accurate measurements first (of each) before ordering (they have both sizes). I've tried Ratuken - out of stock, and Clever ID only go up to a 42. Anybody out there help, or be willing to part with one?? Here's hopin...

Here's my Buzz Ricson Aero style (contract 21996). I'm going to put it in the supermarket for sale in a couple of days. It's slightly small for me and needs a new zipper. Tagged size 42 but probably more of a 40 for Americans. Pit to pit = 21". Sleeve from shoulder seam to end of cuff = 25". Length = 25". The zipper still works but is a pain in the neck. Lost a couple of teeth and some minor scuffs on the leather. Otherwise it's a beauty. $550 + shipping.

Front:

100_2064.jpg

Closeup:

100_2065.jpg

Back:

100_2067.jpg

Lining:

100_2068.jpg

^^Goodwear for sure...

wow, that was fast!

any insights cole, why goodwear and none of the other companies? i am totally uneducated when it comes to leather jackets - so, pls educate me!

edit: browsing through the thread - these definitively helps:

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2repro.html

nevertheless, you comments are very appreciated, cole!

if you CAN wait then good wear is good ive heard a lot of good and NO bad from them .. but i emailed them and they say that i have to wait a couple of more months as to they are pretty busy ATM..

buzz rickson are good.. cheaper than real mccoys .

the few is very good too!

real mccoys new zealand is good too you can order directly from them!

wow, that was fast!

any insights cole, why goodwear and none of the other companies? i am totally uneducated when it comes to leather jackets - so, pls educate me!

edit: browsing through the thread - these definitively helps:

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2repro.html

nevertheless, you comments are very appreciated, cole!

I will certainly defer to people who have more hands on experience that I do (none) but as a casual reader of this thread, I can tell you that everyone who owns a goodwear and a number of other top notch repros has said that the goodwear uses the best hides, the patterns and craftmanship are as good or better, not to mention being made to order, and cheaper than any of the Japanese options.

I am in the process of ordering the Monarch M-422 from Goodwear after seeing Airfrog's prototype. First glance instantly looks better than any other repro M-422/G-1 I've seen, and custom built to boot! After a long conversation with John (GW) I'm a convert. It's like stepping back in time and straight into the Quarter\Masters depot to get one fresh out of the box. Cant wait !

Goodwear all the way. I've a Dubow 27798 in Seal and one in goat with a Crown. Both I love to bits(And I mean LOVE) and are definite keepers.

I've tried The Few, Real McCoys and Eastman all of which are ok but never quite right on details.

Right now I'm 3 weeks away from a GW Rough Wear and it feels like Xmas is on it's way once again!

Yeh, no problem. But you'll have to excuse me acting like a tw*t in the first pic.... It's my catalogue pose.

This is the Dubow 27798 in goat

GWDubow27798Goat003.jpg[/img]

GWDubow27798Goat002.jpg

And this is the Dubow 27798 in seal with 12 months wear...

_SWH5103.jpg

_SWH5115.jpg

Cheers.

The first Dubow is a slightly looser fit than the second to enable a thick sweat or jumper, I wanted one for winter and one for summer. I'll add a fit pic of the seal Dubow soon as. It's a trimmer fit and looks smashing.

One of the many good things about John, and there are many, is that he'll cut it to fit exactly how want so no off the peg opportunist purchasing. Plus he's gotta be one of the nicest people going!