The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Cobblers,

Thanks for posting photos of your Goodwear Dubows. John really does an amazing job reproducing the Dubow pattern and the russet goatskin he uses is really exceptional. What size is your jacket? The fit looks spot on. What color of stitching did you go with for the russet goatskin jacket?

Speaking of being a real poser here's a cheesy photo of me wearing my Good Wear Rough Wear with a bunch of extras we were shooting for a medieval battle scene in the Czech Republic.

PragueCU.jpg

Ha ha! Excellent shot Crownzip. The 18091 looks a perfect fit.

The Dubows a 42" but measures 22.5" pit to pit and 22.5" down the windflap, if anything it's little long but I can live with it no probs.

Here's a couple of shots of the stitching.

_SWH5237.jpg

_SWH5236.jpg

I wanted the greater contrast between hide and stitching so went for the lightest available but still true to contract. If I could order the same jacket again I'd shave the length by about 3/4" and have the purple-ish knits instead of the red but I'm knitpicking. Gotta love the GW's!

Soon as the RW 27752 arrives I'll post up some pics.

I have to say I'm rather excited about the new hh. The RW 27752 on order and due in 2 or 3 weeks will be made of the very same in seal. I'll be interested to see how it compares with the Horween, from his test jackets with the thicker hide it looks incredibly promising.

I have to say I'm about past myself with excitement!

Fortunately, McQueen had steez and swagger though.

^

They are comfortable if you are not wearing a watch. It may get kind of annoying if you do wear a watch, as the cuff moves the watch with it. It may also be due to the fact that my watch doesn't fit my wrist perfectly. There were instances when I didn't wear a watch and it was pretty comfortable. Also, my reason for getting the storm cuffs was protection against wind.

I am either skipping storm cuffs on my next jacket, or changing my watch.

^

They are comfortable if you are not wearing a watch. It may get kind of annoying if you do wear a watch, as the cuff moves the watch with it. It may also be due to the fact that my watch doesn't fit my wrist perfectly. There were instances when I didn't wear a watch and it was pretty comfortable. Also, my reason for getting the storm cuffs was protection against wind.

I am either skipping storm cuffs on my next jacket, or changing my watch.

Thanks. Hey, I ran across your blog. Very cool!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some questions for everybody about their interest in A2's. What got you interested in an A2? And how long have you been into them?

For me it was watching "The Right Stuff" on cable a couple of years ago and I thought they were cool and something I could get away with now that I'm too old for a mc jacket. That and the fact that my kids were now old enough that I had some free time to think about cool clothes.

www.cockpitusa.com

i did a search, and found this shop mentioned several times, but never saw any sort of consensus as to the quality of their products.

i was wandering around lower manhattan and came across the shop. poked around inside and saw a lot of reproductions of flight jackets. i noticed that these were a lot cheaper than buzz rickson stuff, and wondered what the story was.

i figured they just aren't as well made, or they don't pay the same sort of attention to detail that BR does, but then i was talking to the sales guy and he was saying how they provided jackets for "top gun" and other films as well as actually providing jackets to the military now.

i'm not trying to trash buzz rickson, but when i pay $1k for a jacket, i want to know why it's better than the competition.

so does anyone know any details about this?

The Cockpit (previously known as Avirex) is generally considered amongst flight jacket aficionados as "mall jackets" for their modern cut and loose standards for historical accuracy. They are more of a mass market jacket maker. The Japanese makers are far more accurate in terms of materials used (horsehide, repro zippers) as there is a market for this type of quality in Japan. The US on the other hand has a very small market for those qualities. If you've read much of the thread I'm sure you have noticed the name Goodwear Leather. They are an American maker of high quality, accurate A2's (they've added a couple of other styles also) for half or so what a Japanese A2 would cost. Go to http://www.goodwearleather.com

to check them out.

The Cockpit (previously known as Avirex) is generally considered amongst flight jacket aficionados as "mall jackets" for their modern cut and loose standards for historical accuracy. They are more of a mass market jacket maker. The Japanese makers are far more accurate in terms of materials used (horsehide, repro zippers) as there is a market for this type of quality in Japan. The US on the other hand has a very small market for those qualities. If you've read much of the thread I'm sure you have noticed the name Goodwear Leather. They are an American maker of high quality, accurate A2's (they've added a couple of other styles also) for half or so what a Japanese A2 would cost. Go to http://www.goodwearleather.com

to check them out.

thanks! if i had known they used to be called avirex, i wouldn't have even posted the question.

sorry for being such a noob, and asking a dumb question.

thanks! if i had known they used to be called avirex, i wouldn't have even posted the question.

sorry for being such a noob, and asking a dumb question.

Don't sweat it. Did you check out Goodwear? One of the amazing things about Goodwear is the jackets are custom made using your measurements.

Don't sweat it. Did you check out Goodwear? One of the amazing things about Goodwear is the jackets are custom made using your measurements.

yeah that site is amazing! i can see why they are so well liked here.

to be honest, from the buzz rickson line, i was looking at this:

P1120083-703096.jpg

or this:

buzzRicksonNomDeGuerre.jpg

for the upcoming winter, but if i want a leather jacket i will definitely go with goodwear, they look great.