Belts

cecil

Is Unlucky still making belts? Sent an email a week ago no reply. Just want to know because I see his blog hasn't been updated since last Fall.

I am looking for a good untanned natural to start wearing. Tired of my random black belt. I want something clean and casual

I ordered a belt about 5 weeks ago, he said it would be ready in a week and I haven't heard from him since....

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I received this Buco horsehide belt yesterday and I would like to know if I need to condition it before wearing. I see "lines" on the grain side of the belt that look like they may crack after some light wear. I believe the belt is fine as is, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and ask here first before I wear it. The belt is really nice; I'm looking forward to how it's going to age after a few years and I want to make sure I take good care of it so that it ages well.

EQUUS Garrison Bridle Belts:

besides, being apropos for the garrison buckle, i especially <3 the black for its "satin" finished brass.

IMO, the leather quality is on par if not better than the [cowhide] Buco or Fullcount garrison i've seen @BIG, for about 1/2 the retail ... for English bridle, Charlie is the man!

EquusGAR2.jpg

EquusGAR.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

I finally ordered a new belt from Hollows Leather.

It was very hard to decide and had to consider for months.

Untill I saw this picture

5582400786_786c43d062_z.jpg

All I have to do now is sit down and wait.

How wide is the belt? They are selling chromexcel ones now.

• 4 weeks later...

I need some help, I'm debating about ordering this belt, but i have never ordered off rakuten 

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/aikidou/item/kawatako-b01/

but here is the belt, does anyone know about how long it take take to get to the us ( ballpark range ) 

and if everything looks legit?

Thanks in advance

I need some help, I'm debating about ordering this belt, but i have never ordered off rakuten 

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/aikidou/item/kawatako-b01/

but here is the belt, does anyone know about how long it take take to get to the us ( ballpark range ) 

and if everything looks legit?

Thanks in advance

Why not just buy it from Self Edge?  It'd be practically the same price after their shipping fee (we don't charge for shipping) and with us you can exchange it if it doesn't fit:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91&products_id=696

Edited by kiya

i actually went to  SF yesterday, its 2 inches too small =(

i really wanted to pick it up too

unless there a 33 or 34 somewhere in stock

The sizes we carry actually overlap, so it's not possible that we don't have your size.

If the 32 is too small the 36 would have been your size and we have that at our NY and LA store if you want to place a phone order (shipping is still free).

My (New) WW2 Swedish Army Pistol Belt.

tumblr_ml27ihMk5q1r1e2pgo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ml27ihMk5q1r1e2pgo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ml27ihMk5q1r1e2pgo3_1280.jpg

Have given it a scrub and a single coat of wax but think it needs a good once over with saddle soap.

The Green oxidation is all the way through the prong and might need some effort too.

Cheers

Newb question here.  I searched the forums but couldn't find an immediate answer.  What is the deal with all the thick leather belts?  I understand that if leather is too thin it might tear but it seems some belts on here are the opposite extreme and are wayyyy thicker than they need to be to be long lasting.  My current belt measures in at about 3.5 mm, has lasted me 8-9 years or so, is in great shape, and will probably last many years to come.  So what is the super thick leather thing just hype, or is it in some appreciable way that much better?

It's just so people stare and silently mouth the words "so thick..."

But really, hype is definitely part of it, especially with cheaper veg tan belts.  A 3mm belt made from cheap, dry, Mexican veg tan is going to be more enjoyable to own and wear than a 6mm thick belt made from cheap, dry, Mexican veg tan.  

A lot of high end companies use really thick leather (correctly), and since the thickness is the belt's most obvious quality, that's the only part that gets copied by cheaper imitations.  In order for that extra thickness to work for you instead of against you, the leather has to be of good quality, and the belt has to be designed specifically to accommodate the thick leather, otherwise all you gain from the thickness is a cartoonish bulge under your shirt about 5" higher than it should be to impress anyone.

If it's done right, as with Samurai, SDA, Kawatako, etc, the belt will last longer, stretch less, and feel a lot better.  The feel of quality is a big draw.

Those belts will all be of a level of quality that's way beyond what normal people consider adequate, but that's basically the concept behind this whole forum.

Hmm, duly noted.  Thanks for your input guys.  That said I am looking into getting a new belt and am entertaining the idea of something thicker.  I really want exaclty like this >> http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-ob-003-sd/, without spending $200+ dollars.  Can anyone help?

Edited by andimrob

Hmm, duly noted.  Thanks for your input guys.  That said I am looking into getting a new belt and am entertaining the idea of something thicker.  I really want exaclty like this >> http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-ob-003-sd/, without spending $200+ dollars.  Can anyone help?

I suggest you take a look at the Equus Bakers Bridle Leather Belt, it costs around 55 GPB  / 85 USD and is very customizable (length/width/buckle material exactly the way you want it to be). The leather is around 5 mm thick, so plenty thick for most people. If you do not want to have a roller buckle you can always ask Equus if they can make you one with a flat buckle, I am sure they will gladly do so.

=> http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Bakers-of-Colyton-Leather-Belts/Russet-Oak-Bark-Belt/flypage.tpl.html

Speaking of Equus, my West End Bridle Leather Belt (London tan color) after a year of daily wear:

eq3.jpg

Edited by mat_wue