the "ask an asian" thread.

mizanation

don't blame communism for how much their POP CULTURE sucks.

pop culture sucked in all its entirety.

How can you not put some blame on communism?

Look at Taiwan for example, made up of something like 98% Han chinese people, the pop culture is heads an shoulders above China's. This is in part because Taiwan is not a communist state.

Another example would be Hong Kong where the pop culture is also vastly better than China's, Hong Kong avoided the more turbulent parts of communism rule.

How can you not put some blame on communism?

Look at Taiwan for example, made up of something like 98% Han chinese people, the pop culture is heads an shoulders above China's. This is in part because Taiwan is not a communist state.

Another example would be Hong Kong where the pop culture is also vastly better than China's, Hong Kong avoided the more turbulent parts of communism rule.

yo wait are you saying taiwanese pop culture and hong kong pop culture are actually good?

Whoa, just found this thread. I didn't click on it before because I know everything there is to being Asian, but now that it degenerated to an Asian hangout, well—I want in on that.

In Japan, when I was with my loud and very white American friends, everyone knew that I was a American. But when I was in the department stores and restaurants alone, the Japanese always assumed that I was one of their kind.

Maybe they should have referred to this. (Courtesy OMEGA JELLY JIGGLE.)

scais, you Thai? Thai that aren't hella dark are dead ringer for Vietnamese to me :/

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard! Vietnamese look like southern Chinese—darker skin, shorter, somewhat broader noses (on the whole), fuller lips, wider eyes. Thai look more like a cross between Chinese and Indians. In Hong Kong gangster flicks there are always Thai drug smugglers and you can pick them out in a heartbeat. (See Infernal Affairs, for example.)

Also, there is a certain nobility of character and majesty of spirit that is present in Vietnamese but that seem to be missing in the Thai...!

So you tip 20% for shitty to mediocre service?

I aint no jew or chinese. I am not stingy. Everyone fucking needs the tip money. Its not just the bitchy waitress who gets your tip money. Its the whole house. If one person is shitty, you still need to tip. Especially places I go more than once a month. 20% no questions asked. 15% for shit service and we will never go there again.

I was with my parents in Scottsdale a month back. The bus dude spilled beer all over the floor, getting over my dad. One of the wait staff dropped a glass near our table and it exploded getting on our table. Being fucking japanese, the did not comp us one thing. Fuckers. And my parents still tipped. Granted my dad was a bit drunk and trying to flirt with the waitresses and tellling us how beautiful they were. That would porbably have been the only time I would not have tipped.

I aint no jew or chinese. I am not stingy. Everyone fucking needs the tip money. Its not just the bitchy waitress who gets your tip money. Its the whole house. If one person is shitty, you still need to tip. Especially places I go more than once a month. 20% no questions asked. 15% for shit service and we will never go there again.

I was with my parents in Scottsdale a month back. The bus dude spilled beer all over the floor, getting over my dad. One of the wait staff dropped a glass near our table and it exploded getting on our table. Being fucking japanese, the did not comp us one thing. Fuckers. And my parents still tipped. Granted my dad was a bit drunk and trying to flirt with the waitresses and tellling us how beautiful they were. That would porbably have been the only time I would not have tipped.

once i was eating dinner with my cousin in japantown sf and we sat next to this chinese couple (tourists maybe?). they were being kinda bitchy and they were for sure rude to me (i kicked their shopping bag cause it was all up in the fucking way) when they left they paid by credit card and i peeked over and they wrote nothing at all in the "tip ______" i wanted to write in $10, but the waitress cleaned their table too quickly

Arent you guys used to not tipping and expecting five star service? lol

Its funny that you stereotype chinese and jewish people yet you dont act like any normal self respecting japanese person with that whole giving in to a shitty server's sense of entitlement bullshit.

All the Japanese people I know (alot of waiters and waitresses btw) would never tolerate that kind of bs at a restaurant they would ask to see a manager, no tip, ask for comps, and expect a head, hands and knees on the floor outside the house from the owner, and they would never be caught dead in a redneck shithole like scottsdale.

One time me and my family were at a Chinese restaurant in Fukuoka and the server brought the beer for my mother in law out early when she specifically asked for her beer to brought when the first course came because she didnt want the beer to get warm and she didnt want to drink on a empty stomach. I felt so sorry for the waitress she looked like she was about to be in tears.

Guest jmatsu
Arent you guys used to not tipping and expecting five star service? lol

Its funny that you stereotype chinese and jewish people yet you dont act like any normal self respecting japanese person with that whole giving in to a shitty server's sense of entitlement bullshit.

All the Japanese people I know (alot of waiters and waitresses btw) would never tolerate that kind of bs at a restaurant they would ask to see a manager, no tip, ask for comps, and expect a head, hands and knees on the floor outside the house from the owner, and they would never be caught dead in a redneck shithole like scottsdale.

One time me and my family were at a Chinese restaurant in Fukuoka and the server brought the beer for my mother in law out early when she specifically asked for her beer to brought when the first course came because she didnt want the beer to get warm and she didnt want to drink on a empty stomach. I felt so sorry for the waitress she looked like she was about to be in tears.

^this is truth.

maybe sircheesecake/his fam was born outside of japan. the sort of japanese who like cheesecake from the cheesecake factory.

the only establishments that genuine japs "tip" are at hostess clubs or whore-stores. and it all depends on the girl.

Guest jmatsu
why is it that some Japanese customers would pay cash for some purses and then when you try to give them change they refuse?

not sure about your experience and this shit ain't that common.

though years ago when i was hanging out with a semi famous enka singer, he'd tip all the females who he thought was attractive. he wasn't just saying no to the change though. he was tipping with bills and 10,000yen bills.

maybe some of them just took a fancy 2 u.

why is it that some Japanese customers would pay cash for some purses and then when you try to give them change they refuse?

It could be that they're tourists and all the huge Amerika tour guides stress tipping for services because they're not accustomed to tipping back home.

Or they think you need pocky money.